Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Yokohama A539's

Search this Thread

Old 19 June 2006, 10:03 AM
fromage
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Yokohama A539's

Just got a full set of these for my 106GTi and I really cant believe the difference of these over my previous 2 sets of tyres - Pirelli P600 & F1 Eagle.

I have basically always just bought whatever tyres that I can get a good price and that have had a fairly good write up and I had heard a good few things about about A539's and they were pretty damn cheap too so thought I would give them a go thinking they would but just like any other tyre I have tried but I was really really surprised, even with only 700 miles on them they are sooo much better for me then my previous tyres ever were and has taken alot of the understeer out and tamed down the lift off oversteer too also road noise is very much reduced. Even off the line grip seems very much improved, so im basically just saying how impressed I am with these tyres and should give them a go as for the money you cant really lose

Anyone else tried them ? How did you find them ?
Old 19 June 2006, 10:07 AM
Spec'c'57
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fromage
Just got a full set of these for my 106GTi and I really cant believe the difference of these over my previous 2 sets of tyres - Pirelli P600 & F1 Eagle.

I have basically always just bought whatever tyres that I can get a good price and that have had a fairly good write up and I had heard a good few things about about A539's and they were pretty damn cheap too so thought I would give them a go thinking they would but just like any other tyre I have tried but I was really really surprised, even with only 700 miles on them they are sooo much better for me then my previous tyres ever were and has taken alot of the understeer out and tamed down the lift off oversteer too also road noise is very much reduced. Even off the line grip seems very much improved, so im basically just saying how impressed I am with these tyres and should give them a go as for the money you cant really lose

Anyone else tried them ? How did you find them ?
might give them a go cheesy......
Old 19 June 2006, 10:11 AM
fromage
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Spec'c'57
might give them a go cheesy......
But obviously the main reason I did get them was the cool tread pattern lol
Old 19 June 2006, 10:23 AM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

I had A539's on a Charade 7 years ago, great in the dry but not too good on damp roads. I'm sure the design has changed since then!
Old 19 June 2006, 01:05 PM
MartinM
Scooby Regular

Where did you get them from?? Ta, Martin
Old 19 June 2006, 01:09 PM
fromage
Scooby Regular

http://www.etyres.co.uk

As I needed someone to come and fit them while I was at work
Old 19 June 2006, 01:30 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I had them on my Clio172, very grippy in the dry.....not so grippy in the wet, though at least the loss of grip is progressive so doesn't take you by supprise. Average tyre wear too.

Trending Topics

Old 19 June 2006, 02:09 PM
EvoBarry
Scooby Regular

Coincidentally, we have those fitted to our 106gti, and agree completely, they suit the car very well imo, once warm they grip well, even in the wet (certainly enough to allow reasonable progress with making it scary)

We've just done an airfield day this weekend and they survived that reasonably well too...

Recommended tyres, for the money.
Old 19 June 2006, 04:23 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

I get around 100 laps of the ring from a set on my 205. At £35 a corner it makes them a massive bargain.

As said they are next to useless in the wet though.

Gary
Old 19 June 2006, 04:49 PM
fromage
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gutmann pug
I get around 100 laps of the ring from a set on my 205. At £35 a corner it makes them a massive bargain.

As said they are next to useless in the wet though.

Gary
Yet to find out what they are like in the wet though, the Pirellis were absolutely ****e in the wet then again ****e in the dry too, what size tyres do you use on your Pug ? Also where did you get them for that price?
Old 19 June 2006, 05:50 PM
EvoBarry
Scooby Regular

seriously, get them warm and they are perfectly good tyres in the wet, I've yet to have a problem with them.
Old 19 June 2006, 07:06 PM
Dave uk blue mica
Scooby Regular

i've used them on my pug 205 road rally car i found them ok in the wet
Old 19 June 2006, 09:34 PM
MooseRacer
Scooby Regular

A539's are ok (and no better) on heavier cars. Had them on my Westie and they were awful, and the ******* wouldn't die lol.

For a 'hooning around' tyre they're ok, but I wouldnt chose them tbh
Old 19 June 2006, 10:53 PM
Allan
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down from me a well, useless on wifies MX5 in wet.

Allan
Old 22 June 2006, 01:55 PM
Izzy
Scooby Regular

I would not have them again either.

Had a set on my previous Scoob. For a "performance tyre" they had only average dry grip but had confidence lacking, poor wet weather grip. And, as MooseRacer says, the damn thing wouldnt die....

A539's? No thanks....
Old 22 June 2006, 05:43 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

I had some on an old Calibra V6 - very good in the dry, and the best wet weather tyres I ever had on that car. Certain tyres do suit certain cars, it's a fact.

I'm quite fond of the Goodyear F1's on the scoob. I also experienced them on a mildly tuned GTM Libra (700kg, mid engine rear drive, bit like an Elise only better ). They were lousy on there, various other tyres blew them away, the old Yoko A520's were much better. Just shows that getting the right tyre for your car is as important as just getting a "good" tyre!
Old 25 June 2006, 12:59 PM
midget1500
Scooby Regular

okay, after running A048Rs these are rubbish. but then again, that might not be a fair comparison but i was really dissappointed with them.

i might try them on a lower profile (60 -> 50) as the sidewall flex at speed 70+ during cornering is scary

if i pump them up to stiffen them a bit the car will then become skittish.
Old 25 June 2006, 01:47 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fromage
Yet to find out what they are like in the wet though, the Pirellis were absolutely ****e in the wet then again ****e in the dry too, what size tyres do you use on your Pug ? Also where did you get them for that price?

195/50/15 and I buy mine from motorworld.

Gary
Old 26 June 2006, 12:51 PM
cong
Scooby Regular

forget about wet driving mate!! lol! there about the same as the eagle f1 in the dry
Old 26 June 2006, 08:55 PM
Clio_V6_255
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

I had lots of punctures when I ran them on my old scoob!

Peter
Old 26 June 2006, 09:16 PM
g01dmember
Scooby Regular

I got them on my scoob at the moment...

I think they are a great tyre in the dry...Stick like ****e to a blanket.....But a little more understeer in the wet than i`d like....

But i dont race it about in the wet, so it dont matter.....lol
Old 26 June 2006, 10:56 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

I had them on my Fiesta si and thought they were ****e! In fact, my one and only crash to date (touch wood) was on them! I found them totally unpredictable, some days they were good, some days terrible! most days they tramlined like you wouldn't believe and I only got 4K out of them!

I had Pirellis on my Focus and hated them, I've never like them anyway! I've got some Dunlop Sport 01s on it now and just cannot fault them, awesome tyres

How did you find etyres? I had them out to do mine, I thought the etyres side worked well but the muppet from a local co. who actually came to do the work was a complete **** and he scratched my wheels!
Old 27 June 2006, 09:12 AM
fromage
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BOB.T
I had them on my Fiesta si and thought they were ****e! In fact, my one and only crash to date (touch wood) was on them! I found them totally unpredictable, some days they were good, some days terrible! most days they tramlined like you wouldn't believe and I only got 4K out of them!

I had Pirellis on my Focus and hated them, I've never like them anyway! I've got some Dunlop Sport 01s on it now and just cannot fault them, awesome tyres

How did you find etyres? I had them out to do mine, I thought the etyres side worked well but the muppet from a local co. who actually came to do the work was a complete **** and he scratched my wheels!
I found etyres pretty damn good, they were abit late but seeing as I was in all day anyway it did'nt matter. But he did the job ok no marks on the wheels etc
Old 27 June 2006, 12:38 PM
Squizz
Scooby Regular

We run A539's on our racing MR2 Mk1. It's the control tyre for the series so there's not exactly much choice in the matter!

We also had them on our track Nissan 200SX, and found them to be pretty good actually! We were running lots of negative camber on the back and they didn't seem to wear badly and grip was good in the wet & dry.

They're not much cop on our scoob though. My personal fave is Eagle F1's or Toyo T1-S.
Old 30 June 2006, 09:03 AM
pwhittle
Scooby Regular

I ran them on a race XR2I, as they're the control tyre for Stock hatch too. Pretty impressed, ran them cut down to 3mm in the dry, and full tread in the wet.
More expensive that Proxes TR1 though (at least for the size I need for my current car), so I'll be going with the Proxes. had them on my Scoob with no problems at all.