Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Best 4 seater convertible...

Search this Thread

Old 05 May 2006, 07:26 PM
Dan J
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best 4 seater convertible...

Try as I might I just can't shake this convertible itch! I thought I had then weather like the last 2 days comes along and reminds me it's still there! Going to have to get it out of my system before I go back to a more performance orientated car I think!

So was wondering what people think are the best 4 seater verts available out there. Second hand though. Budget will prob be between 15-20k for the right car. Currently drive a MY00 classic Scoob and know I'll be trading down in the performance stakes but would be looking for something with a bit more comfort, class, toys whilst still retaining good performance. Running costs should be ideally better or the same i.e mpg, servicing, insurance and reliability is important. 3 years of running my Scoob hasn't seen a single thing go wrong, touch wood!! The shortlist at the moment seems to be:

BMW 330 Sport Conv - Test drove a friend of a friends and wasn't as impressed as I expected to be. Had a fair few creaks and rattles which surprised me and the leather seemed to wear quite badly. It had 85k on it but still didn't expect that. Think I need to drive another lower mileage one to get a better idea though.

Audi Cabriolet - Not as sporty looking as the BM but classy and clean lines. Doubt it would be as sporty a drive though. Also not sure which engine would suit it best from the range?

Merc CLK320 Conv - Prob not looking at the current shape for my budget though and have heard mixed reports on the previous model.

Saab 93 Conv - For whatever reason it's just not doing it for me so doubt I'd consider one to be honest.

Would be interested to hear peoples opinions on the above and if anyone owns/has owned any to hear their thoughts. Thanks in advance!!
Old 05 May 2006, 07:35 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Convertable's that normally start out life as a saloon tend to handle crap - shake like buggery, loads heavier and handle crap - think of a shoebox with the lid taken off (where did i hear that before)

keep the scoob for ferrying folk about and buy an MR2 Roadster
Old 05 May 2006, 07:46 PM
turboman786
Scooby Regular

I have a 330 sport conv...fantastic car, mines not creaky and the leather is mint...and its done 80k!! Try another (pref manual) before disregarding it...
Old 05 May 2006, 07:53 PM
Dan J
Scooby Regular

The Chief - Nah really just want to run the one car that can be used all year round. And 2 seaters aren't practical enough. Had a Mk1 MR2 many years ago!

Nat21 - Yup and I'd expect it to hold on to its value slightly better than the others too. Though I do still think the BM looks better. Just lower, sporting and more aggressive.

turboman - That's the kind of reply I was hoping to hear! I do def need to take another out as it was always the car I wanted. Perhaps I just drove not the best example. I think I'd go for an auto though to be honest. Mainly because a lot of my driving is in and around London and I very rarely get the chance to fly flew the gears now. Damn traffic!!
Old 05 May 2006, 08:07 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

? M3 Convertible?
Old 05 May 2006, 08:22 PM
Dan J
Scooby Regular

For the majority of the driving I'm doing I'd rarely get to use the extra power of the M3 over the 330 I reckon Deep. With the extra fuel, servicing, insurance costs it just wouldn't be worth it. Plus I'd struggle to get a good one in my budget whereas the 330s are falling into that bracket now.

Anyone have any thoughts on pre or post facelift with the BM? The post models all seem to be hanging onto pretty high values.

Also is this a bad time of year to be looking to buy a conv? Spring going into summer... (that sounds like a decent lesbo vid...!!!!)

Trending Topics

Old 05 May 2006, 09:44 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

There's also the Volvo convertible.

At the end of the day, I think ALL of these 4 seater convertibles are based on coupes anyway. It's only proper 2 seater roadsters that tend to be designed as ragtops from the off (s2000, z4, boxster, mx5 etc.)
Old 05 May 2006, 09:56 PM
AudiLover
Scooby Regular

Audi convertible and then the Bimma. I wouldnt bother with the others.

Now I put the audi ahead for a couple reasons.

1. Rarer
2. Most Woman prefer it
3. Much nicer interior
4. More practical
5. 2.0T is a gem as is the diesel unit. (Avoid the 2.4)
6. Hasnt got BMW's bad image.

Last edited by AudiLover; 05 May 2006 at 10:26 PM.
Old 05 May 2006, 10:23 PM
Dan J
Scooby Regular

Kinda guessed you'd go for the Audi!! Didn't think they did a 2.0T though? Don't you mean the 1.8T? And I would have thought that would have been a bit underpowered in the conv.
Old 05 May 2006, 10:25 PM
Castrol
Scooby Regular

2. Woman prefer it
My Wife doesn't. Wouldn't even look at one. But then she knows a bit about cars.
Old 05 May 2006, 10:26 PM
AudiLover
Scooby Regular

Youve spoilt her lol
Old 06 May 2006, 01:13 AM
Dan J
Scooby Regular

Dracoro - I've read on several road tests that the Volvo suffers quite badly from scuttle shake etc. The new model seems nice and much improved but would obviously be way over budget.

It's looking like a straight fight between the BMW and the Audi really. Much as I expected.
Old 06 May 2006, 08:30 AM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

I tried a 330D convertible a few weeks ago and rated it very highly; compared to some other cars it had a liveliness and fluidity to the chassis that was unusual. Bumps did upset the steering a little, but not enough that I'd worry about it (although the saloon, and the Touring that I ended up buying, don't share the problem).

By contrast I found the tin-top Audi A4 rather unexciting - show it a B-road and it doesn't really come alive in the same way. It's hard to put it into words, but I found it a soulless experience and can't see that cutting its roof off would help.

If it's lower running costs you're after then the BMW's 3 litre diesel engine is a peach. I've been getting 38mpg, and the only diesel compromise is that power drops off sharply at about 4500 rpm. It's definitely worth a look, there's no other diesel quite like it.
Old 06 May 2006, 08:46 AM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dan J
It's looking like a straight fight between the BMW and the Audi really. Much as I expected.
You have to just test drive both cars really.

The BMW will almost certainly be the better car to drive, but on the minus side they are looking dated now (new model cabrio must be due anytime, so wont do the values of the old model any good when launched) and obviously you get the 'drug dealer'/'tos$er' image to live with too.

The A4 cabrio is pretty heavy, so handling probably isnt that great, but it looks far better (clean, modern lines - have to admit I dont think the face-lift grille looks as good as the old one tho..) and has a much more classy image IMO. You may find a 2.0TDi cabrio A4 for 20k just about.
Old 06 May 2006, 03:38 PM
Cupramax
Scooby Regular

Smile

Originally Posted by Petem95
You may find a 2.0TDi cabrio A4 for 20k just about.
Lol, dont know where you've been looking but you wont find one that cheap. The 2.0Tdi was only introduced around January in the facelifted A4 Cabrio so only been out for about 4 months or so with that engine and the cheapest one on Audi's used car site is £27,250.
Old 06 May 2006, 03:50 PM
Dan J
Scooby Regular

AndyC - Yup I'm a big fan of the 330d engine but they not available in diesel form within my budget unfortunately.

Pete - I think the new 3 series convertible is due out sometime in 2007 but yes that will certainly hit the old models values a bit. Thing is I'll be waiting forever if I start thinking about that too. Although I have been thinking about it I must admit!! The image I can live with. I don't see people driving them and think 'drug dealer/tosser' I think 'nice car, wish i had one'.

Cupramax - That's right. I agree that the pre facelift nose looks better too by the way Pete. But on the pre facelift the choice of engines is the 1.8T, the 2.4 and 3.0 V6 and the 2.5 TD. Not sure which of those best suits the car though.
Old 06 May 2006, 03:56 PM
Cupramax
Scooby Regular

Smile

Dan, in my experience ( and I have an A4 cab sat on my drive) best get a drive in a few. 1.8T is nice and light but struggles a bit to haul the old girl around, its only the 163hp version in the cab but you could remap it... The 2.4 is creamy smooth but only produces 170hp and drinks nearly as much as the 3.0. I've not driven the 2.5tdi but its supposed to suit the cab quite well, just dont get a multitronic version as it saps the power. The 3.0 is nice if you can afford the extra fuel bill. I've got one of the new shape 3.2's but it did cost an arm and a leg.
Old 06 May 2006, 04:09 PM
Dan J
Scooby Regular

The 3.2 is the same engine as in the R32 isn't it? Must go pretty well. Nice car you've got there. That's one of the things that puts me off the Audi slightly. What I ideally wanted from the new car was an auto due to the increased time spent in traffic along with not too drastic a drop in power/performance. The BMW 330 pretty much ticks both of those boxes whereas I'm told the multitronic boxes aren't the best in the Audi and as you say sap power plus there doesn't seem to be a stand out engine in the range unless you look to the new line up.
Old 06 May 2006, 04:20 PM
Cupramax
Scooby Regular

Nope its a totally different engine. The 3.2 in the Golfs and A3's is a narrow angle 15 degree V6 the A4 and A6 use a 90 degree V6. The new 3.2 FSI in mine is an absolute hoot, 255hp is good fun and its showing 31mpg on the trip computer at the moment.
Old 08 May 2006, 02:20 AM
Dan J
Scooby Regular

Just noticed that you can pick up a Volvo C70 convertible pretty cheap now. Probably around 10-12k for a good T5 model. I know it's a Volvo but there's no denying they look the part and go well... in a straight line anyway!

At that price I wouldn't expect it to depreciate hugely over the next couple of years either though the new hard top model now may affect that.

I'm sure I heard they were a bit of a poor drive in convertible form though... anyone had any experience of them? Dracoro I know you mentioned it in your earlier post.
Old 08 May 2006, 08:31 AM
wilftwo
Scooby Regular

Sorry but I just dont get why any one would want a diesel convertible!?

Its bad enough having to drive round with a transit like rattle in a sound proofed tin top diesel. But with the roof off? The noise will be x5 worse and you can forget fresh air with all those PM10 particles.

In answer to your thread I would say M3 convertible all the way. As for running costs over the 330 (unless you are driving 40k plus miles a year) you're talking a few hundred quid at the most if you cant afford that then should you really be changing cars (granted this could be a genuine point if its a company motor)?
Old 08 May 2006, 09:42 AM
AudiLover
Scooby Regular

Thats because german diesels dont sound like a transit van.
Old 08 May 2006, 09:41 PM
Dan J
Scooby Regular

wilftwo - M3 running costs only a few hundred quid a year over the 330??! I'd be very surprised if that were true. Insurance would be higher, fuel costs higher, servicing higher, warranty if taken higher, parts higher etc etc.
Old 08 May 2006, 10:01 PM
Mr Zapie
Scooby Newbie

Default Dismissed SAAB?

Just been down the do we don't we get a proper 4 seat convertible, cracked and bought a newish SAAB Aero and love it.

A nicer place to be than the Subaru on a sunny day, the interior of a Subaru really is bloody awful compared to the soft tops we tried;

BMW / Merc - both too small in the back.
Audi - noisier than the SAAB with the roof up, less room in the back and darker.

A visit to the shops of Hirsch and Abbott Racing should make for a more smiles per mile.

I / We get the SAAB at the weekends and I "suffer" the Subaru during the week.

Don't dismiss the SAAB, try the V6 Aero and get sun stroke.
Old 09 May 2006, 01:52 PM
AudiLover
Scooby Regular

Audi - noisier than the SAAB with the roof up, less room in the back and darker.

Road noise or engine noise?
Old 09 May 2006, 01:55 PM
lightning101
Scooby Regular

Volkswagen EOS
Old 09 May 2006, 02:50 PM
Jonathan Davies
Scooby Regular

You can easily get an xk8 for 15-20k now... still a good looking car. Might be too small in the back though.
Old 09 May 2006, 03:05 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jonathan Davies
You can easily get an xk8 for 15-20k now... still a good looking car. Might be too small in the back though.
The back seats in XK8's are tiny - about the same size as in a 911. Little kids only basically.
Old 09 May 2006, 03:16 PM
Jonathan Davies
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Petem95
The back seats in XK8's are tiny - about the same size as in a 911. Little kids only basically.
Fair play. There must be something out there more interesting than a 3 series bimmer though, surely??

Quick Reply: Best 4 seater convertible...