Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Test Drive help please

Search this Thread

Old 26 February 2006, 11:41 PM
burbs
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Test Drive help please

Can somebody give me a little information.

I have a car coming tommorrow on a 24 hour test drive. They are bringing it from 120 miles away, dropping it off and then returning to collect it.

Can anyone tell me, do i have to fill it up with fuel before they come to collect it or do i not need to do this? I haven had a 24 hour test drive and havent got a clue. Im guessing i put in what i use but have been told many conflicting things.

Thanx in advance
Old 27 February 2006, 01:06 AM
RS Grant
Scooby Regular

IMO, a test drive is a test drive... If I went to a dealership and took a car out for 15 mins with a salesman I wouldnt expect us to swing by a filling station on the way back to the showroom so I could put in a fiver to cover the costs.

We had a 330d Coupe for a few days, picked it up full, gave it back with about 1/2 a tank left... Didnt get any aggro over that, despite eventually buying from a competitor.

End of the day they are trying to convince you to buy a car, they arent renting you a car.

Cheers,
Grant
Old 27 February 2006, 01:14 AM
paulwrxboro
Scooby Regular

id leave as i found or be a little red faced on pickup
Old 27 February 2006, 07:37 AM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Up to you Id guess. I doubt they will say anything unless you leave it running on fumes. I personally would give it back with the same amount it came with. But hey thats just me.

Simon.
Old 27 February 2006, 08:10 AM
Castrol
Scooby Regular

If it's a quick run - 30/60 mins, then I wouldn't fill up. Longer is different I reckon. We had a new Saab 9-3 V6 Convertible for the day, and did over 200 miles, but we made sure we returned it full again. Only fair if the garage's good with you and gives you a decent run.

Cheers
Old 27 February 2006, 08:54 AM
steve05wrx
Scooby Regular

Hi
Depends how generous you are feeling and who is actually promoting the test drive!
If it is manufacturer supported - and backed up by a national ad campaign - then just give the car back - as they will be paying for these test drives.
If it is just your local dealer - then up to you.
Car dealers have 101 ways of extracting money from unsuspecting car buyers - high finance rates, undevalue trade-ins, cashing in unused road fund licence, encouraging you to buy extras, GAP insurance etc. etc. - I would just use the car, give it back and let them fund the fuel!!!
Cheers!
Steve.
Old 27 February 2006, 09:38 AM
mrtheedge2u2
Scooby Regular

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

a quick note..... make sure you dont prang the car on a test drive, if you do you will find yourself having to pay for the dealership's excess.... usually about £1K.
Old 27 February 2006, 11:13 AM
burbs
Scooby Regular

Thanks all, the rental car has arrived at my house now so im just waiting for the actual test drive 407 to arrive
Old 28 February 2006, 06:41 PM
burbs
Scooby Regular

Right very angry now.

Can someone give me some advice. As explained above i had a 24 hour test drive in the 407. Nice car, nice drive but at the end of the day it would not be a car that i would spend over £20,000 on.

The driver came down with the car, he travelled about 100 miles to bring me the car. Then today he came to collect it again.

When the car arrived it had exactly 3 quarters of a tank of diesel in it. I only did 36 miles in the car as i was at work etc and therefore i put a tenner in it as everybody advised to leave it how it had arrived. Thats no problem.

The guy came down today, picked it up and off he went. The i get a phone call this afternoon telling me they had filled the car up as it had half a tank when they got back to the office and it had cost £39 and they would bill my credit card for it straight away.

I said hold on a minute, i gave you my credit card details for the £500 excess reason with regard to the insurance. Thats what the driver told me the details were for. The guy on the phone told me that he shouldnt have told me that and the whole reason they had taken my details was to pay for fuel on return. The driver unfortuantly hadnt told me this as he was only a driver.

I said i refuse to pay, they had never told me that this was the deal on the phone. He said do you expect us to drive 120 miles for free? He then said they will be billing my credit card and that was the end of the matter as far as they were concerned. I said i have not signed for you to do that, he said that unfortuantly they must have told me on the phone and they will bill me.

Do i just have to pay??
Old 28 February 2006, 06:56 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Question

Originally Posted by burbs
Right very angry now.

Can someone give me some advice. As explained above i had a 24 hour test drive in the 407. Nice car, nice drive but at the end of the day it would not be a car that i would spend over £20,000 on.

The driver came down with the car, he travelled about 100 miles to bring me the car. Then today he came to collect it again.

When the car arrived it had exactly 3 quarters of a tank of diesel in it. I only did 36 miles in the car as i was at work etc and therefore i put a tenner in it as everybody advised to leave it how it had arrived. Thats no problem.

The guy came down today, picked it up and off he went. The i get a phone call this afternoon telling me they had filled the car up as it had half a tank when they got back to the office and it had cost £39 and they would bill my credit card for it straight away.

I said hold on a minute, i gave you my credit card details for the £500 excess reason with regard to the insurance. Thats what the driver told me the details were for. The guy on the phone told me that he shouldnt have told me that and the whole reason they had taken my details was to pay for fuel on return. The driver unfortuantly hadnt told me this as he was only a driver.

I said i refuse to pay, they had never told me that this was the deal on the phone. He said do you expect us to drive 120 miles for free? He then said they will be billing my credit card and that was the end of the matter as far as they were concerned. I said i have not signed for you to do that, he said that unfortuantly they must have told me on the phone and they will bill me.

Do i just have to pay??
Were there no written terms and conditions? Also were there no Peugeot dealesr closer than 120 miles??
Old 28 February 2006, 07:03 PM
AudiLover
Scooby Regular

lmao.

You wanted to test drive a diesel 407 for the day
Old 28 February 2006, 07:12 PM
burbs
Scooby Regular

Deep, the only terms and conditions were that if there was any accident that i would have a £500 excess. thats all that i signed regarding. The guy on the phone said that was the case, however he said they must have told me on the phone that i would be liable for fuel.

There is a dealer about 2 miles from my house!!!

Audi, yeah thought i would give it a go to see what they were like!!
Old 28 February 2006, 07:22 PM
AudiLover
Scooby Regular

lol just jesting mate. I dont think you should have to pay for the fuel as it wasnt mentioned. Maybe a fone call to your bank is in order. If you really wanted to fight it I suppose you would have to go to a small claims court or just get your lawyer to right a letter but his fee would be much bigger than that of the fuel costs. Not much you can do really.
Old 28 February 2006, 07:43 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by burbs
Deep, the only terms and conditions were that if there was any accident that i would have a £500 excess. thats all that i signed regarding. The guy on the phone said that was the case, however he said they must have told me on the phone that i would be liable for fuel.

There is a dealer about 2 miles from my house!!!

Audi, yeah thought i would give it a go to see what they were like!!
If thats the case I'd throw a fecking wobbly! What may or may not have been said on the phone is neither here or there. Let the company know that if they charge your cc you will report it as theft/fraud. They should have made any special terms and conditions known to you in writing. You've ended up paying for something that you never agreed to!

It may only be a few quid but its the principle of the matter. Is it a main dealer?
Old 28 February 2006, 07:58 PM
burbs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Deep Singh
If thats the case I'd throw a fecking wobbly! What may or may not have been said on the phone is neither here or there. Let the company know that if they charge your cc you will report it as theft/fraud. They should have made any special terms and conditions known to you in writing. You've ended up paying for something that you never agreed to!

It may only be a few quid but its the principle of the matter. Is it a main dealer?
They are the van and rental operation of peoguet giving the test drive vehicles out for the south west apparently. Checked them on the peoguet website and they are there so they are legit in that way.
Old 28 February 2006, 08:08 PM
Jonathan Davies
Scooby Regular

Tell your card company. Mention that you gave the number to this dealer for excess/deposit type reasons as detailed in the written agreement, or whatever you signed, but that they are now trying to take payment for something you haven't authorised.

I'd also be going ape at Peugeot at this point. Would I expect them to pay for the petrol? Yes, unless they'd secured my written agreement - it's a test drive, not a hire car, as someone said up there ^^.
Old 28 February 2006, 08:12 PM
burbs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jonathan Davies
Tell your card company. Mention that you gave the number to this dealer for excess/deposit type reasons as detailed in the written agreement, or whatever you signed, but that they are now trying to take payment for something you haven't authorised.

I'd also be going ape at Peugeot at this point. Would I expect them to pay for the petrol? Yes, unless they'd secured my written agreement - it's a test drive, not a hire car, as someone said up there ^^.
Thanks for the advice. I have spoken to the card company and there is nothing that they can do until tommorrow when the money is taken from the account. Then they will flag the withdrawl, contact the company who have taken it and advise them that i am declining this transaction. I dont quite know what happens at that point but they are aware of the situation.

I dont mind paying for the petrol that i have used but i put in £10 already for the 36 miles that i did, now they want a further £40. £50 for 36 miles in a car that was on test drive is a bit steep in my opinion, especially when i was not advised i would be liable for it
Old 28 February 2006, 08:42 PM
brickboy
Scooby Regular

You can also prove your mileage. They have said its 120 miles from the dealer to you = 240 mile round trip.
Old 01 March 2006, 11:37 AM
Huw Jorgan
Scooby Regular

Speak to Peugeot, tell them that the car wasn't as fuel efficient as you expected therefore will not be purchasing one.

Driver must have gone the scenic route back as well if it was only quarter of a tank on the way down & half a tank on the way back.
Old 01 March 2006, 01:18 PM
burbs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Huw Jorgan
Speak to Peugeot, tell them that the car wasn't as fuel efficient as you expected therefore will not be purchasing one.

Driver must have gone the scenic route back as well if it was only quarter of a tank on the way down & half a tank on the way back.
The driver got lost hence the extra fuel going missing. He ended up in a valley somehow, not sure how really but he did. He had to ring me to try and direct him back to the main roads.
Old 01 March 2006, 02:11 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Get onto Pug. Don't take flim flam. They're not authorised to do this.

Your credit card company should help too: file a chargeback for an authorised charge being placed on your account. But I'd get onto Pug and pleasantly ask them if they think this is the way to deal with a future customer...
Old 01 March 2006, 04:04 PM
steve05wrx
Scooby Regular

Hi
Peugeot UK switchboard is 02476 884000.
Ask for customer services!
Cheers!
Steve