Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Nissan X-Trail

Search this Thread

Old 18 February 2006, 10:20 PM
captain ted
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nissan X-Trail

I am currently looking to trade my Scoob in for one of these as I regularly tow a caravan.

Does anyone own one and if so, how are they to own?

Cheers,
Ted.
Old 19 February 2006, 08:20 AM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

A mate of mine who emigrated to Australia bought one of these last year as his main car. He's driven to Ayers Rock (from Melbourne) twice for holidays, and also to Sydney to pick up a really big aircon unit. Is really nice to drive on the road ( ) , handles pretty well for a 4x4, is ok off road too but his has road tyres on it at the moment.

Never heard anything bad about it from him, and I did about 500 miles in it myself before Xmas - twas very nice. Way better than say a non-turbo Subaru Forester.
Old 19 February 2006, 11:46 AM
ewanrw
Scooby Regular

My dad has one as they tow a caravan also. And I used it when I moved flat instead of hiring a van. I'm pretty impressed with it and would have one over a Freelander.

Goes thru' front tyres fairly quickly tho'. I think.

ewan
Old 19 February 2006, 12:49 PM
Rapid17
Scooby Regular

I too have been considering an X-Trail and have done a bit of research on the net. One thing that came to light was problems with the turbo on the diesel version. Other than that they seem to get good reviews. Geoff.
Old 19 February 2006, 12:58 PM
DMC12
Scooby Regular

X-Trails are highly regarded as tow cars. They have a 100kg nose weight limit which helps stability and the 2.2 diesel is powerfull. (although look out for a recall for faulty turbos on the early 136bhp models if you're buying 2nd hand). The kebweight is relatively low (~1570kg) for such a big car if you follow the 85% rule but it will legally tow upto 2000kg.

Loads of info here http://www.caravantalk.org.uk/forums/ if you look in the Tow Car section.

We tow an Avondale Dart 556 with a Fiat Multipla and our next car will be an X-Trail.

Cheers

Steve.
Old 19 February 2006, 01:08 PM
KJD Mk1
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had one for three years now clocking up around 65 k with no problems at all. An excellent all round vehicle in fact so pleased i've got another coming in march BTW mines a diesel sport and getting around 35 mpg.
My only gripe is that the engine sounds like a bag of nails on tickover but have been told that the new ones are ok.
Old 19 February 2006, 01:46 PM
HI SOOB
Scooby Regular

Also got one of these.
Traded the Newage Impreza in for this as I wanted a safe and new car for my wife.

Wasnt too keen on any of the ones we saw in the showroom but we managed to get an SVE model, the latest one with Sat nav, leather, cruise and tints finished of in Black.
Its turned out very nice and only had 2 problems which have been Minor teething ones.
A power steering leak and its getting a new Inter cooler nest week due to an oil leak.
MPG seems to be around 33 which I was dissapointed in as we also had a hyundai Santa Fe which did almost 40mpg.

On hindsight I wish I had got her the Murano as its a bigger and faster bit of kit. Just the fuel consumption I was worried about at the time put me off it.

So far the x Trail has coped with the Scottish weather no probs. Snow, ice water etc.
it takes ages to heat up in the mornings and de frost the window
It could do with heated screen and mirrors as an option or std spec.
Cruise ctrl functions are not light and makes it difficult to use at night if you forget what button is for what.

Engine provides plenty power but its still booked in for a re map to see if I can get more Mpg out of her and of course...more power!!

Heated seat buttons are in an awkward place and theres no fuel computer.
All of the above are silly little gripes that I have with the Jeep.

Over all its a very good bit of kit.
I went for it over all the others due to its better residual value and its looks are better too, well in black anyway.
I wouldnt have bought it unless I got the black with the black leather.

I would recommend
Old 20 February 2006, 07:03 PM
captain ted
Scooby Regular

Thanks for your comments.

Sounds like a good car to have.

Is it fair to say that they are better than the Freelander then?

Ted.
Old 20 February 2006, 07:10 PM
misty
Scooby Regular

Forester 2.5xt?
dave
Old 21 February 2006, 09:53 AM
flynnstudio
Scooby Regular

murano can be thirsty if you boot it but otherwise it's still WAY better than the scooby - which for a 3.5 V6 ain't bad! - very nice ride though!

X-trails have plastic wings and boot which you can dig your elbow right into and they just pop back out unmarked! Actually feel like your driving a car rather than a tractor.
Old 21 February 2006, 07:08 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

One of my neighbours had one from new. Turbo went at 2k but other than that it was fine. I'd go for one over Freelander any day
Old 21 February 2006, 10:12 PM
rb5_336
Scooby Regular

bought one for the wife and i use it regularly, cracking it is