Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Honda Civic Type R

Search this Thread

Old 07 January 2006, 06:05 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda Civic Type R

Just had a play with a Honda Civic Type R on a private dual carrigeway which I have to pass to get home, After reading so many stories of how fast Civic Type R's are when rolling, I was always wondered how fast they really where, as I used to get picked on by many Civic Type R's when I had my 106 Gti about 3-4 years ago.

But I would say in his defense that the roads where quite wet, But he did seem to take a likeing to my car, as he was about 2 inches away from my rear bumper, As I planted my right foot I must have pulled about 8/9 car lengths on him, I couldnt believe how slow he was.

So I will be notifying Blue Peter, and hopefully get my Blue Peter badge in the next few days.
Old 07 January 2006, 06:08 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

It must have been your 0.1bhp which made the difference
Old 07 January 2006, 06:09 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gutmann pug
It must have been your 0.1bhp which made the difference
And the weight loss, of all my old CD's I threw out yesterday, it all makes a difference.
Old 07 January 2006, 06:11 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Weight is the enemy
Old 07 January 2006, 06:18 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Weight is the enemy
Just realised?

I had a set of HEAVY new coilovers in the boot, and my HEAVY football stuff + my HEAVY 13 stone brother.

To be fair, I was lucky I didnt get beat.

But on a serious note, I would have liked to see the difference on a good dry day, Im not big into Racing round streets where its 30mph limit, but on a good open road with 2 or more lanes and no other cars, I do like to have these little blasts with other performance cars.
Old 07 January 2006, 06:19 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

111bhp difference is quite alot to be fair, not suprised by the result.

Gary
Old 07 January 2006, 06:32 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

111bhp difference is quite alot to be fair, not suprised by the result.

Gary
Me either, but its more of a weight thing as you say, I also have a Renault 5 Turbo, thats me and my brother have built up, We've stripped the interior out and have 2 lightweight bucket seats and a cage and should be pushing 180-190bhp, now I think that once the Renault is rolling due to its weight I think it will hand my scoobys **** on a plate.

I was not having a pop at the Civic Type R, but I did think it would have been more of a challenge, even with the 111bhp difference and weight advantage + my 4wd transmission losses.
Old 07 January 2006, 06:35 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

I would take the second seat out of the R5 too. Its what I do with my 205 for track days. If I leave the seat in I get pestered for Pax rides and having a big unit in the passenger seat does my car no favours

You have half his power again so im not suprised.
Old 07 January 2006, 06:40 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

You have half his power again so im not suprised.
Im not going to win this one am I.

I'll make sure I pick on someone my own size and weight next time.
Old 07 January 2006, 06:42 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

PMSL ........

Tell me your beat a scoob in the R5 and i'll be happy
Old 07 January 2006, 06:46 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

PMSL ........

Tell me your beat a scoob in the R5 and i'll be happy
Ill let you know, with the outcome,

R5 still needs it uprated clutch and lightweight flywheel fitted and some spraying of the doors and tailgate, some Tax, insurance and some new tyres.
Old 07 January 2006, 06:48 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

I have a feeling it will be needing more than a couple of tyres

Sounds good fun though, what are you planning to do with it?
Old 07 January 2006, 07:04 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

I have a feeling it will be needing more than a couple of tyres

Sounds good fun though, what are you planning to do with it?
Do a few trackdays never done one before but hopefully this will be the track car, as to much money has been spent on the scooby to have a smash.

The R5 cost £900 it had 77k miles on the clock with a new engine rebuild it had few mods such as full exhaust system, lowered and a set of 15inch Clio 16v alloy, the only downside is that the bodywork was a bit tatty, and it had a stupid Scooby vent on the bonnet, which is now long gone.

We have stripped it and spent a bit of money on the engine, all 2nd hand parts which havent cost much, mostly e-bay bargains.
Old 07 January 2006, 07:07 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

You might be in the market for 6 Michelin pilot cup tyres soon then stickier than a whole load of sticky things.

Gary
Old 12 January 2006, 02:55 PM
wimbo
Scooby Newbie

As a type r owner i will say that they are quite a fast car when rolling ( They will edge away from a standard wrx ) but in the wet they are one of the worst hothatches i have ever owned or driven.

Standard wrx owners fire away!!
Old 12 January 2006, 03:19 PM
John57
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wimbo
As a type r owner i will say that they are quite a fast car when rolling ( They will edge away from a standard wrx ) but in the wet they are one of the worst hothatches i have ever owned or driven.

Standard wrx owners fire away!!
I owned a CTR until recently and would agree with your comments about it being awful in the wet !

As for edging away from a standard WRX ..... I am not sure about that until you get to at least silly speeds - the WRX is not too good over 100 but the magazines show a MY03> to be between 1-2 seconds quicker to 100 depending on the magazine. I can't comment on the Classic or Bugeye as I haven't owned them.

TBH I am not in the game of seeing which car edges away from which but to me it's how they feel that counts. The CTR is a stunning little car in the dry with great acceleration in Vtec and superb handling. The WRX definitely feels overall quicker to 60 and about the same thereafter as my CTR did but a std WRX is a totally different feel to a CTR and IMO much softer to drive. I find I can make more progress with less stress in the WRX but without quite that 'fun' factor the CTR provided -in the dry at least ..... perhaps I should try an STi
Old 12 January 2006, 03:32 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by scoobyboy1
Just had a play with a Honda Civic Type R on a private dual carrigeway which I have to pass to get home, After reading so many stories of how fast Civic Type R's are when rolling, I was always wondered how fast they really where, as I used to get picked on by many Civic Type R's when I had my 106 Gti about 3-4 years ago.

But I would say in his defense that the roads where quite wet, But he did seem to take a likeing to my car, as he was about 2 inches away from my rear bumper, As I planted my right foot I must have pulled about 8/9 car lengths on him, I couldnt believe how slow he was.

So I will be notifying Blue Peter, and hopefully get my Blue Peter badge in the next few days.
Two words....

Turbo torque....makes all the difference against cars like the Type R.

I've driven a Type R and a Celica 190 (similar high power, low torque, naturally aspirated engine) and although I loved the way that the engines just begged to be thrashed, they just felt gutless compared to my MY99 unless you were wringing their necks. Fine when you're in the mood, not so good for everyday use and too easy to be caught out of the powerband.

Would like to try the Supercharger conversion on the Type R though, that would go some way to negating the lack of torque.

NS04

NS04
Old 12 January 2006, 06:59 PM
kammy
Scooby Regular

How did the Celica 190 do? My bro is either getting the Celica or the Civic Type-r?
Old 12 January 2006, 07:31 PM
flynnstudio
Scooby Regular

It's probably not too wild to suggest that anyone who still has a WRX at stock BHP (someone's bearded uncle?) is probably not really interested in competitive driving and is unlikely to present much of a challenge through those 'wet twisties' regardless of what your driving...that said those R5 turbo's are pretty awesome - I have some classic rally footage from about 1984 of one of the original factory prototypes on snow in the monte carlo rally and it's like watching some kind of ice-ballet...