Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Please Help - I am having major problems with my Octavia

Search this Thread

Old 04 November 2005, 05:57 PM
Aaquil
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Please Help - I am having major problems with my Octavia

Please can someone help me out...since I have bought this 2002 Octavia 1.8T Elegance Hatch I have had nothing but problems.

Just a week or so after I bought the car the 'Check Engine' Light came on that was repaired under the Skoda Warranty.

Then Major problems started
1. Climate Control stopped working.
2. Central locking started popping up.
3. All the electrics went on the blink (Window, sunroof etc.)
4. A buzzing (shorting of circuits) sound started coming from the car when the radio was switched on or light switched on.
5. The Central locking when working was arming then disarming itself so I would find the car unlocked in the morning coming out to go to work.
6. The buzzer to warn that the lights were still on' when ignition was turned off was going on even though the lights switch was switch to off (all lights were off except the rear passenger side).
7. The car was hesitant and losing power suddenly when accelerating. To get power back I would have to take my foot off the accelerator then plant it down again.

It all happened one wet cold weekend driving to Birmingham...I contacted the car Supermarket which advised to take it straight to SKODA. I took it to them and was given a list of parts that needed replacing:
1. DV
2. Turbo Pressure Pipe (?)
3. Climate Control ECU
4. Cigarette Lighter
5. Fuse

I was advised that parts needed to be ordered. By the time the part arrived th SKODA Warranty ran out and the Car Supermarket Warranty kicked in that is when the problems started...

While I was waiting for the parts the Central Locking and the Rear Passenger Light problem (see above list) started. I mentioned that to SKODA on return they stated that they would have to look at the problem and gain permission from the Car Supermarket first. They started the work and stated that SKODA TECHNICAL had sent 5 pages of wiring diagrams stating that each of the circuits had to be individually checked. SKODA had totally stripped my dashboard down but guess what? The Car Supermarket said 'No' they were going to get their Auto Electrician to check and fix it once they had done their own Diagnostics. Imagine how I felt when the car was at the SKODA Dealership who had to contact SKODA TECHNICAL for help but now it was going back to a Car Supermarket to be repaired as well as being re-stripped down (the dash again). I kicked up a bit of a fuss they stated that Diagnostics were not covered by the Warranty and SKODA wanted to charged £160 for 2 hours of Diagnostics. They said that it would probably end up back at SKODA to be repaired...it didn't it went to some Auto Electrician. They gave me an Astra Diesel Car which was rubbish (not as bad as the Rover they had given me before!!!). I went once to collect it and the Climate Control was still not working so I had to leave it with them for another day (It was not checked before I was called to pick it up!!!).

Recently the silver door latch to open the Drivers door went so I had the open the door by letting the window down and opening it form the outside. I took it back again!!! They repaired it while I was there then low an behold the Central locking problem started popping up again this time it was going made the solernoid sound just kept going off locking then unlocking then unlocking again and again and again!!! Contacted them they said take it to SKODA that was yesterday. Got a call today...no they now want me to take it back to them so that their people can fix it!!!

I called and spoke to the Manager and said I want a refund or another car...what do I do now the Manager said that he will have to speak to the Area Manager but he can understand how I feel. They are going to call me tomorrow.

Please someone PM with a contact number someone who knows what I need to do so I don't get caught out I need to speak to someone in the know about SKODAS and legal issues.

Thank you

Aaquil.
Old 04 November 2005, 06:11 PM
Aaquil
Scooby Regular

How do I get hold of Dream Weaver mate?
Old 04 November 2005, 06:13 PM
darryl90
Scooby Regular

Cool shed1

Originally Posted by Aaquil
How do I get hold of Dream Weaver mate?
hes on line send him a private message mate
Old 04 November 2005, 06:25 PM
Aaquil
Scooby Regular

Thanks mate I have sent him a PM. No response on 'BRISKODA' yet.
Old 04 November 2005, 08:09 PM
turboman786
Scooby Regular

Aaquil, how many miles has your Octavia done?...
Old 04 November 2005, 09:58 PM
meganesport.net
Scooby Regular

WFT do a car supermarket haver to do with your car? Warranty work should be carrie dout by a dealer! I wouldnt let car supermarket "mechanics" anywhere near my car!!!
Old 04 November 2005, 10:06 PM
Robbie T
Scooby Regular

Please Help - I am having major problems with my Octavia
Sounds like you're beyond help, sorry
Old 04 November 2005, 11:59 PM
Aaquil
Scooby Regular

The car has done 28,000 miles with a full Skoda Service History. The Warranty is with the car supermarket not with Skoda that ran out recently. some of the work that only dealerships could do Skoda did the rest was done by the Supermarket to keep costs down!!!

Last edited by Aaquil; 05 November 2005 at 12:07 AM.
Old 05 November 2005, 11:50 AM
Aaquil
Scooby Regular

Anyone else?
Old 05 November 2005, 01:14 PM
bren.wright
Scooby Regular

Sounds like a friday afternoon car! Tell them you want a different car...
Old 05 November 2005, 03:41 PM
Aaquil
Scooby Regular

Right the Manager spoke to the Area Manager they will exchange the car like for like or I can choose another one. I relly wanted the Octavia I already have so he said that would be fine (1.8T 4X4 Elegance Hatch). I said the same year and similar mileage (26,000 miles) as well as Black, Blue or Silver. He said he would get his buying team to try to source one asap. He was quite quick in his replies to my call. Does that seem reasonable I'm pretty sure they do not want to give a refund. Anymore advice guys please?

Aaquil.
Old 05 November 2005, 03:48 PM
turboman786
Scooby Regular

A swap like for like, sounds pretty fair in the circumstances, Im actually suprised they have even made this offer, as most places will just try and completely fob you off......hopefully the new car will be a good u, and live up to the good reputation these cars have...
Old 05 November 2005, 05:07 PM
Aaquil
Scooby Regular

Thanks for that Turboman I hope so as well.
Old 05 November 2005, 06:01 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Aaquil
Right the Manager spoke to the Area Manager they will exchange the car like for like or I can choose another one. I relly wanted the Octavia I already have so he said that would be fine (1.8T 4X4 Elegance Hatch). I said the same year and similar mileage (26,000 miles) as well as Black, Blue or Silver. He said he would get his buying team to try to source one asap.
That sounds like a pretty good offer to me, a lot of garages would probably be a lot less helpful and pretty much tell you that you've got a warranty and will just have to get all the stuff fixed on that.

Im really surprised at all the problems youve had - its a Skoda afterall! You've probably just been unlucky, and chances are you'll chance it for another and havent years of trouble free use out of it.
Old 05 November 2005, 08:39 PM
Aaquil
Scooby Regular

Thanks Peter that makes me feel a lot better. I hope that is the case.
Old 06 November 2005, 04:12 PM
Aaquil
Scooby Regular

Any other input please?