M3 EVO - Any opinions

Search this Thread

Old 15 October 2005, 11:46 PM
SamUK
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question M3 EVO - Any opinions

Was thinking of buying an M3 Evo (1996)

Any advise on performance? and what to look out for?

My current scooby is pushing near 320BHP....and wanted to know how this car would preform in conparison too....?

Cheers
Sam
Old 15 October 2005, 11:49 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can see another M3 v Scoob thread coming here

I think the standard M3 Evo would really give your scoob a run for its money. At 120+ I'm pretty sure that the Evo will take it.

M3 Evo has less traction though, especially in poor weather.

EDIT - edited for clarity

Last edited by Luminous; 16 October 2005 at 12:01 AM.
Old 15 October 2005, 11:52 PM
SamUK
Scooby Senior

Sorry..missred the thread....

how good of a car is it?
Old 15 October 2005, 11:57 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

I think they were meant to be pretty damn good. There have been a few threads about this reasonable recently. I think the only real thing to look out for was a Vanos recal that needs to be done.

Have a search and see what others were saying.
Old 16 October 2005, 01:13 AM
easyrider
Scooby Regular

Ive had one-the thing to look out for is the double vanos unit(vairable valve timing control)-they can be a little noisy(sound a bit like a metalic growl),which a lot of people will tell you that if there is a noise then it needs changing-this isnt so-basically, you need to check that there isnt any oil leaks around it-if its dry then generally its o.k.---If you dont allready know,its situated at the top front of the engine, and is aluminium with several hex/torx bolts(iirc) holding it all in place.
Can be worth checking the rear diff isnt leaking oil-not a big problem if it is,as its a fairly straightforward job to do.
Performance wise, well.....its quick...bloody quick in fact, you just dont reallise how quick it is when youre in it, as the power delivery is so smooth compared to a turbo charged car-it'll probably feel much slower than you scoob.You have to rev them to get the power though. They're an absolute rocket above 100mph-i only ever did a top speed run once in it,and i have to say, i couldnt believe how much it pulled above 100mph-all the way to 155 UP a hill!!!!(private one )-then hit the limiter.They handle pretty well also, and are great for rear end out action if you like that sort of thing.
Personally, i wouldnt have another one as i got board with it and brought another scoob after 6 months(ive owned this scoob for over 2 years now) so it must say somthing.
Also-if you're mechanically minded,the scoob is the better car, as if you have engine probs with the EVO then,generally you are in the hands of BMW(need specalist tooling)-who arent as expensive as you may imagine,even for parts-infact, they are probably cheaper than the Subaru stealers!!!!
Basically-the scoob has a much more ballistic power delivery,where the BM is more refined.

Gary.
Old 16 October 2005, 01:52 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I have got one now and what easyrider says is a pretty good run down on the car. The engine is outstandingly flexible because of the Vanos and it will pull hard at lower revs, but when you get to 5000 revs it accelerates significantly harder as the valve timing changes.

The handling is first class on Goodyear F1's, as good as my STi with the bump steer mod and the solid rear anti roll bar links. Totally progressive wet or dry.

Its a lovely high performance car with excellent brakes-the M5 ones, and it also has that real touch of class. No problems with traction as far as I have seen in 18 months.

The Coupe is the one to get.

The Vanos should have been done FOC by BMW, the earlier ones had troubles which were cleared up by using hardened steel internals.

Les

Last edited by Leslie; 16 October 2005 at 01:56 PM.
Old 16 October 2005, 05:46 PM
SamUK
Scooby Senior

Talking

Okay....my brother just got the car..

N reg Evo.... £5K with 93K on the clock, no dinks rust or stone ships. (just had a super clean and looks daam clean

Just been for a drive, very smooth indeed and does pull well. I am not convinced it is quicker them my Scooby at all, just smoother. You have not got the force that you feel once the turbo kicks in which i guess i am used to now.

Rear wheel drive and with no traction the car seems like a death trap around bends...

Going for a small race hopefully tonight and will see how it gets on.

Trending Topics

Old 16 October 2005, 06:39 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SamUK
N reg Evo.... £5K with 93K on the clock
Thats cheaper than I wouldve expected
Old 16 October 2005, 07:54 PM
trackman
Scooby Regular

I agree. Where did he get that from at that price? Bargain!
Old 16 October 2005, 08:10 PM
turboman786
Scooby Regular

M3 evos are an iconic car, absolutely superb engines, silky smooth, very refined and punchy, I loved mine, best car I ever owned, you'll hear loads of people talking about vanos, so do check em out carefyully, I would avoid the cheap ragged chavwagons....
Old 17 October 2005, 10:18 AM
SamUK
Scooby Senior

Paint work is immulate, the previous owner had the car for 7 Years...he just got very lucky! FBMWSH too...

I found that the accelerater pedal is very stiff..is this normal?
Old 17 October 2005, 12:21 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

You will find that as the car get warmed up that the clutch pedal has to be pushed closer to the floor to free it completely. This is because the rubber clutch pipe expands with heat. One cure is to leave the undertray off, the clutch pipe stays cool and the car does not need the undertray anyway. Makes it more hassle to change the oil too.

There is no problem with the handling of the car at all just because its RWD. The car is perfectly balanced.

Les
Old 17 October 2005, 02:03 PM
SamUK
Scooby Senior

The car is perfectly balanced...though its just litle scary after driving a Subaru for 2 years and then jumping in a RWD in the rain...
Old 17 October 2005, 04:26 PM
turboman786
Scooby Regular

Sam the m3 takes some proper driving skill, but its damn rewarding stuff!
Old 17 October 2005, 04:34 PM
RS Grant
Scooby Regular

Whats the SMG box in these cars like, I've heard its pretty poor, is that right??

Are there any owners clubs for these cars??

Cheers,
Grant
Old 07 November 2005, 05:06 PM
si325i
Scooby Regular

http://turbo.screaming.net/smg.htm just been reading these. the smg sounds ok to me.
Old 07 November 2005, 05:30 PM
craigdmcd
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by si325i
http://turbo.screaming.net/smg.htm just been reading these. the smg sounds ok to me.
I worked for BMW for a short while, and the SMG was fabulous as a driving tool, but not too clever around town. You pay your money, you make your choices.
Old 07 November 2005, 06:08 PM
wilf
Scooby Regular

Got an old edition of Top Gear Mag which I havent read for ages but recall it has a test with the M3 Evo vs the Skyline R33 (I think) vs 993 vs Supra TT. Anyway, the M3 was quicker round the Nurburg than the Skyline and only fractionally slower than the 993. M3 was rated the most confidence inspiring car of the group.

Reading this test years later and given all the praise heaped on the 993 and Skyline in internet forums I was shocked.
Old 25 December 2005, 11:54 PM
SamUK
Scooby Senior

Guys...

Well, nearly been a month...and am beginning to get te hang of it...not to mention the 180degree turn i did on the spot!... but have now got used to it..just need some decent tyres..

Anyhow..

PIcs here:

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=479309
Old 26 December 2005, 12:49 AM
Dan J
Scooby Regular

I can't believe you only paid £5k for that! Looks like an absolute bargain!
Old 26 December 2005, 12:56 AM
SamUK
Scooby Senior

Lets just say...my brother got luckey 2wice...

as he also bought this

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthrea...51#post5231851

Car drives like a dream, the milleage is purely Motorway...though he gets near 14mpg.... where as the m3 gives me 34mpg on the motorway and 20mpg around town...
Old 26 December 2005, 03:46 PM
Senior_AP
Scooby Regular

M3 Evo is about the single best performance car, pound for pound, that money can buy.

107bhp per litre (normaly aspirated). Solid, reliable (VANOS may pack up but other than that they are utterly reliable).

RWD, where that power is meant to be on tarmac. Can be driven on the track, on the road and be equally as capable. Car returns around 30mpg on normal driving.

Comfortable, built to last, solid, engine is a feet of engineering.

Superb cars.

When I had mine I drove my brothers (Impreza) MY2000 UK Turbo - and overshot the roundabout by 2 car lengths!!! Suffice to say the brakes on the M3 Evo are ecellent, though comapred to a Scoob it's hardly difficult.

I miss mine badly.

Last edited by Senior_AP; 26 December 2005 at 03:50 PM.
Old 27 December 2005, 12:18 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Have they downgraded the brakes on the E46 because it doesn't sound like the same brakes you're talking about!? Although maybe it is while since I used std non-STI Scooby brakes.
Old 28 December 2005, 01:13 AM
Ralf
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wilf
Got an old edition of Top Gear Mag which I havent read for ages but recall it has a test with the M3 Evo vs the Skyline R33 (I think) vs 993 vs Supra TT. Anyway, the M3 was quicker round the Nurburg than the Skyline and only fractionally slower than the 993. M3 was rated the most confidence inspiring car of the group.

Reading this test years later and given all the praise heaped on the 993 and Skyline in internet forums I was shocked.

The Supra didn't finish at all?
Old 29 December 2005, 12:21 PM
Scooby Dooby Blue
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by john banks
Have they downgraded the brakes on the E46 because it doesn't sound like the same brakes you're talking about!? Although maybe it is while since I used std non-STI Scooby brakes.
Both the 4-pot and 6-pot options on the E46's are considerably more effective (and progressive) than 4-pots on the Scoobs IMO

The 6-pots on the new E90 are supposed to be a phenomenal set-up.
Old 29 December 2005, 12:35 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Now I'm really confused. The E46 (and E90 to my knowledge) have single pot sliding calipers and no upgrades on the options list, they are still crap on my E46 M3 and all the others I've driven, and the CSL has the same calipers with bigger discs. Even the E60 M5 is still lumbered with this rubbish.
Old 29 December 2005, 01:11 PM
Senior_AP
Scooby Regular

The e36 M3 Evo had very good brakes, however they weren't so great when being hammered on track. Subject to heavy fade I believe. The brakes have to be very robust on these due to the weight of the car - if you're planning track use. On the road they are more than adequate.

Resolution - upgrade the brakes, and the suspension. Nothing else needs doing.

Find a better car for the money - no chance.

In fact find a better car for less than 20 grand, no chance (except maybe the M Coupe).