Golf TDI Badging Assistance please

Search this Thread

Old 21 August 2004, 04:56 PM
UHF
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Golf TDI Badging Assistance please

Hi,

As you may notice from several other threads, i'm on a selling/buying mission in the next 3 weeks, i'm now looking hard at the Golf TDI range, but i'm having trouble working out the entire range.

I had a look at a car today which was £9625 and it had TDI (Red D and I), is this a GT TDI or is this a SE TDI or what, i dont understand, does the lettering merely state the engine type or the derivative too?

I've heard some TDI's say GTI on the back? Is the only way of telling to look at the equipment it comes with? I'm specifically after a GT TDI (the 115ps one, i think this is the 130bhp one?) Is there not a list anywhere?

BTW the dealer in North London on the A406 didnt even know which was a bit worrying!
Old 21 August 2004, 05:16 PM
DarkForce
Scooby Regular

From my experience the general rule of thumb is this for later cars (approx MY00 onwards) is this;

TDI with red DI - This should just mean its the PD engine, so 100bhp in the SE and 130bhp in the GT. Look for the colour coded bumper strips and door handles. If it has these, it'll be a GT (the GT also has the darkened rear light clusters). If not, it'll be an SE. A TDI badge with the T, D and I in red will be the GT TDI 150.

On earlier models (which the 115bhp was one of) the SE usually has the TDI badge all in silver, and the GT has the TDI with the red I.

If any of them have a GTI badge on the back, this will have been done by the dealer, so its a lot harder to tell which is which. Every TDI Golf comes out of the factory with a TDI badge on the back.

All in all, needlessly complicated!

Chris
Old 21 August 2004, 05:22 PM
UHF
Scooby Regular

Thanks for that, really helped sort my head out, seems that the one I was looking at was indeed a GT TDI with 130hp, dealer said it was 115, maybe he meant PS.

Its 41k which considering how many seriously high mileage ones there are out there is quite low for a V reg, now all I gotta do is sell the scoob as i'm convinced he'll call me Monday saying he can offer £6500-£7000 on the scoob trade in gulp!
Old 21 August 2004, 06:26 PM
Simon S3
Scooby Regular

The best way to find out is to look in the boot under the carpet at the big white sticker, next to the spare wheel well. The power output will be quoted in KW.

As was said before, the TDI was available in SE or GT guise as a 110, 115 and 130 bhp car.

Mine`s badged GTI (red I) and is a 150 BHP TDI (the UK dealers changed the badging from TDI (all red) to GTI (red I)).

Confusing isn`t it!

By the way, my 150bhp is 110KW so you can work it out from there.
Old 21 August 2004, 06:42 PM
NWMark
Scooby Regular

Theres no way of knowing what engine is in the car simply by the badge on the rear and the colour of certain letters, as they are all put on by the dealers so just depends on which letters the dealer actually put on.

Mark
Old 21 August 2004, 07:12 PM
pflowers
Scooby Regular

If its V reg with a red D & I its a 115 bhp PD motor, they also had six speed boxes. Incidently the 115 & 130 which was the later version have exactly the same torque output and are hard to tell apart when driving.
Old 25 August 2004, 10:34 PM
DarkForce
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NWMark
Theres no way of knowing what engine is in the car simply by the badge on the rear and the colour of certain letters, as they are all put on by the dealers so just depends on which letters the dealer actually put on.

Mark
That's not true in my experience and speaking to dealers/seeing cars arrive from the factory. They all came with badges on the back refecting the engine size, bar the TDIs, which had TDI badges on the back and the 1.8T GTI - which had the GTI badge.

The dealers often change the badges though - hence "GTI" appearing on 2.0 n/a cars etc.

Chris
Old 25 August 2004, 11:32 PM
chris's scooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DarkForce
That's not true in my experience and speaking to dealers/seeing cars arrive from the factory. They all came with badges on the back refecting the engine size, bar the TDIs, which had TDI badges on the back and the 1.8T GTI - which had the GTI badge.

The dealers often change the badges though - hence "GTI" appearing on 2.0 n/a cars etc.

Chris
There was a 2 litre 115BHP "GTI" thought.

Not quite sure whyonder2:
Old 26 August 2004, 12:02 PM
DarkForce
Scooby Regular

Yes in Britain you could get a 2.0 "GTi" but this was a sheer marketing con by Volkswagen UK. In mainland europe this car is sold as a 2.0 Highline, so was simply badged "2.0" when it comes out of the factory.

Chris