Nicolas Kiesa driver absolutely thrashing a CTR

Search this Thread

Old 19 May 2004, 10:02 PM
crystalq3
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nicolas Kiesa driver absolutely thrashing a CTR

http://www.fastdrive.org/download.php?view.197
Nicolas Kiesa Ex Minardi F1 driver absolutely thrashing a CTR around Brands Hatch
Old 19 May 2004, 10:48 PM
mn_angrybeats
Scooby Regular

It's members only you dummy....

Rather not get spammed by registering thanks
Old 20 May 2004, 09:24 AM
Jiggerypokery
Scooby Regular

Cool

Direct link, no registration required:

http://www.bhp-tuning.com/stuff/kiesacivic.mpeg

Old 20 May 2004, 09:27 AM
Jiggerypokery
Scooby Regular

Looks like he has difficultly finding the gear stick when changing into second!
Old 20 May 2004, 11:25 AM
matlow
Scooby Regular

wonder how much the other drivers bricked it when he went past, looked like he was cutting it quite close @ times
Old 20 May 2004, 11:44 AM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

It did look a little like he was getting close to some others (where was that skyline just as he came into the pits?!!) but would need the perspective of the other drivers rather than the camera which 'can' deceive.

BTW - Where was the warm up and cooling down lap?
Old 20 May 2004, 12:57 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can almost smell that magic tree Is that in there to rid of the smell from the previous passengers
Old 20 May 2004, 01:03 PM
MooseRacer
Scooby Regular

Great video
Old 20 May 2004, 01:27 PM
Muffleman
Scooby Regular

You just know that that car will be sat on a dealership forecourt somewhere as ex-demo, or one careful owner !!!
Old 20 May 2004, 01:39 PM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

Was it me or was everyone else driving like a complete pansy?! FFS, buy a Skyline and drive it like Miss Daisy?!

Made me laugh him missing the shifter to begin with...

MB
Old 20 May 2004, 02:26 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Erm, DBM, I think they could've been on an out or in lap. You don't have to go ***** out every lap you know
Old 20 May 2004, 03:08 PM
MadMark
Scooby Regular

Is that really a pukka racing driver - his gear selection seems dubious, he is not that fast round Brands and the car is off a decent line quite a bit! He looks too hamfisted to me
Old 20 May 2004, 03:38 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MadMark
Is that really a pukka racing driver - his gear selection seems dubious, he is not that fast round Brands and the car is off a decent line quite a bit! He looks too hamfisted to me
I thought that too but wondered if it was car or driver, he always seemed to be in the wrong gear for a couple of bends.

He was very commited though
Old 20 May 2004, 03:51 PM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

I thought that too, but it definately must have been his firsg go in the car, and they do take a bit of getting used to, being a revvy 6 speed. No excuse for the lines though

Dracoro, I would be going ***** out every lap Got to make the most of it! Seemed odd that all of them were going a bit slow...

MB
Old 20 May 2004, 03:53 PM
Type R
Scooby Regular

Not a good advert for good technique IMHO, gear selection was wrong in a couple of places, one hand on the wheel one on the lever whilst cornering.

Not massively quick laps, 100% commited, didnt think he was close to any other cars, I guess the referral was when the cars were coming out of the pits.

Having had the pleasure of being driven in my car around Bedford by Dom Palmer, he makes this guy look like an amature.

Good to watch never the less.
Old 20 May 2004, 04:05 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by Type R
Having had the pleasure of being driven in my car around Bedford by Dom Palmer, he makes this guy look like an amature.
But Dom lives at Bedford. If I lived there then I'd expect to be that good too

Interestingly though I was up at Silverstone last year for the autocar sideways challenge and the racing drivers there didn't rate him at all. They all took the p!ss out of him including Johnathan Palmer I was very suprised to say the least.
Old 20 May 2004, 04:15 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Was he actually trying to get the quickest lap or was he just out having a play? All this wrong gear or wrong line or one hand on wheel is utter bo!!ox if he's just having some fun.

Hands up how many of you lot have any racing pedigree and championships under your belts??

It's hard to find any racing drivers that would compliment each other. Most think Schumacher's just lucky
Old 20 May 2004, 04:16 PM
misty
Scooby Regular

is that really a pukka racing driver - his gear selection seems dubious, he is not that fast round Brands and the car is off a decent line quite a bit! He looks too hamfisted to me
My sentiments too! He must have looked at what gear he was in about five times?? I mean it's only got six it can't be that difficult!!
dave
Old 20 May 2004, 04:45 PM
MooseRacer
Scooby Regular

at the armchair Ayrton Sennas here - looked like his first go in a CTR to me, so a pretty damn good effort. Especially as I presume it is someone else's motor.
Old 20 May 2004, 05:08 PM
Blow Dog
Scooby Regular

Aha - the armchair experts portray their views, no doubt you could have the F1 driver on the twisties

I was there on that day he was about. A nice guy, friendly to chat with.
Not sure he was out to try to break any records, looks like he was having some fun.
Besides, I also watched him pull a few laps in his Supra. Now THAT was a demonstration. Never seen someone make a RWD car dance so much, really was a most impressive sight, especially on Graham Hill.

About the Skylines, it was the Indy circuit which is absolutely pants in a big bhp GTR. You rarely got into 3rd gear in the Skyline so it was an exercise in car control if anything. The Civic's were all over us.

Cem
Old 20 May 2004, 05:13 PM
kammy
Scooby Regular

FFS! He could drive the wheels of most us ( very very few, if not ALL of us.) Ricardo Zonta got booted out of F1 for being slow, and Mr Brundle did mention that he would (zonta) still whoop most drivers out there! (AND then Zonta dominated Nissan V6) Fair enough he could not make it in F1 and got there maybe due to sponsorship, but still they wont employ someone who "carnt take the right lines" aka num-nuts like myself. Plus in his former races im sure he won a few races Give they guy a break, atleast he had some fun, unlike most of the mudain, dull as dish water robots in F1.
Kambo,king of Pakistan
Old 20 May 2004, 05:13 PM
Type R
Scooby Regular

Some people really rate Dom, others don't, out of all the Race drivers, Instructors I have been out with Dom is by far the smoothest and a good teacher, Dom lives at Brunters althou does come to Bedford a lot, and he has definetly improved my technique.

Im not an armchair Senna, no race experience, just pointing out observations, done over 40 trackdays, and I was looking for the lines, gearchanges, car position, being an ex F1 thought I might pick up on something, sorry for being honest FFS
Old 20 May 2004, 05:54 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

So,THEY got you through the twisties then Cem?

Anyone who can drive an F1 car has got to be a fairly competant driver. I just d/l the file, so I'll have a look.

Chris
Old 20 May 2004, 06:03 PM
MadMark
Scooby Regular

Angry

Originally Posted by Blow Dog
Aha - the armchair experts portray their views, no doubt you could have the F1 driver on the twisties

I was there on that day he was about. A nice guy, friendly to chat with.
Not sure he was out to try to break any records, looks like he was having some fun.
Besides, I also watched him pull a few laps in his Supra. Now THAT was a demonstration. Never seen someone make a RWD car dance so much, really was a most impressive sight, especially on Graham Hill.

About the Skylines, it was the Indy circuit which is absolutely pants in a big bhp GTR. You rarely got into 3rd gear in the Skyline so it was an exercise in car control if anything. The Civic's were all over us.

Cem
Opinion - that's all - have driven that track quite a lot and used to own a CTR .... so if I wish to pass comment - I believe I can ........
Old 20 May 2004, 06:16 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

I have to think you've got to give the guy the benefit of the doubt (let's face it - he is a better driver than any of us will ever be (despite what we might think)). The guy can handle a car (I think we can forgive him for having one hand off the wheel ).

Several oberservations - he appears to deliberately take different lines on each lap - learning what's best for that car on that circuit maybe? On several occassions he looks at the gear stick, perhaps suggesting the gear change on the CTR isn't as smooth and precise as Honda would like you to believe (certainly under that level of abuse anyway)? The VTEC engine by definition has to be kept on the boil, high in the rev range to get the best out of it. Perhaps the multiple gear changes you see are his attempts to find the best gear in the corner to keep the revs up? All the Skylines he passes appear to be coming into or out of the pits (at least two had their indicators on, coming into the pits and the other one had backed off).

Chris
Old 20 May 2004, 07:29 PM
Blow Dog
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MadMark
Opinion - that's all - have driven that track quite a lot and used to own a CTR .... so if I wish to pass comment - I believe I can ........
Old 20 May 2004, 08:09 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

gear change on the CTR isn't as smooth and precise as Honda would like you to believe
You've obviously never driven a CTR then. It's rather good although not a patch on the S2000 shift

I'd say he keeps looking at/for the lever because of the location of the stick which is in an unusual location compared to most cars. In addition, it's probably likely that that's the first time he's driven a CTR. As ANYONE will testify, jumping into a strange car isn't that straight forward as they all behave slightly differently, let alone going out straight onto a track being expected to give a perfect flying lap. Given a proper session with a chance to learn the car, I'll wager he'd be far faster than most of us here.
Old 20 May 2004, 08:20 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Talking

I love threads like this

Before we get too worked up, just remember no matter how many cars you've driven or how many track days you've attended or how experienced you think you are, this guy is a professional racing driver. He would probably do more laps of more circuits in a month than most of us would do in 10 years! He would have to give highly technical and detailed feedback to race engineers - I think he is capable of finding the right line at Brands Hatch if he chose to. I suspect, as Cem said, he was out for a laugh - a little bit of relaxation.

Chris
Old 20 May 2004, 08:41 PM
john25
Scooby Newbie

does anyone know if this car was standard??
Old 20 May 2004, 08:45 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

It was a totally standard CTR by the looks of it.

Dracoro - true, but it did look as if he was having problems selecting a gear on a couple of occassions. As you say, it was probably just unfamiliarity with the car, but under the extreme conditions of a track - you never know

Chris

Quick Reply: Nicolas Kiesa driver absolutely thrashing a CTR