Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Full Service History ?

Search this Thread

Old 16 May 2004, 04:06 PM
The_Teg_Man
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Full Service History ?

Hi, can any of you clear up a question for me. I've bought an ITR and got it from a non-local Honda main dealer. It was advertised with Full Service History and I have subsequently found out one of the local Honda dealers who have recently looked at the service book of the car (because its had developed a slight fault which I wanted them to investigate) has not had the correct services done at the correct times according to the recommended Honda servicing schedule and they think that the Honda Warranty is invalid.

The dealer I bought it off is adament there is nothing wrong, but I am having some difficulty getting an exact definition of what Full Service History means, anyone able to give me some pointers or has anyone had any experience in court of misadvertising/trading standards etc ?

I've tried other Honda dealerships as well but I am still no clearer as to what FSH is. Obviously I am very concerned now I own a car which is now got a question mark over its history and thus affecting resale. :O(

The car was last serviced 15 months ago and when I picked up the car I was expecting it to have been serviced but was told it didn't need one due to the low mileage it had done. My local dealer told me that it is the miles or time depending which comes first.

Last edited by The_Teg_Man; 16 May 2004 at 04:17 PM.
Old 16 May 2004, 04:14 PM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it is miles or time. whichever is soonest. that way they make more money and it is easier for people to go over service schedule by a few months or a few '000 miles and then lose out on a warranty claim
Old 16 May 2004, 04:23 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Full service history as stated is per miles and or time, if the car hasnt been serviced for 15 months then its not really an up to date service history....
If the car has been sold to you with a full service history and it goes beyond the bounds of what honda say then i think you have a good case for getting your money back.

Tony
Old 16 May 2004, 06:40 PM
MooseRacer
Scooby Regular

What year is your teg - early ones were every 6000 miles, the later ones it went upto every 9000miles. There is an optional interim oil-change service every 3 or 4.5 thousand but this is not required for a 'teg to qualify as having fsh.

If the car was doing a low mileage then it needed to be serviced every year regardless.
Old 16 May 2004, 06:58 PM
The_Teg_Man
Scooby Regular

Its a MY99 Moose!
Old 16 May 2004, 08:06 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Can depend on dealer. I had an S2000 that had very low mileage. Due to this the 2nd service (performed at 6500 miles) at 30 months rather than the scheduled 24. I had a new clutch and gearbox rebuild under warranty with no questions asked. Maybe the dealer would treat their 'premium product' customers better or my dealer was good or the mileage was that low that it'd didn't bother them even though I bought it privately.

Given that as your car will be under a 3rd party warranty vendor who may be less concerned about customer service I'd get something in writing that the dealer will honour warranty work despite the service history. Regardless the car was advertised with FSH so if it hasn't then you could get your money back.

Last edited by Dracoro; 16 May 2004 at 08:09 PM.
Old 16 May 2004, 09:28 PM
R1916v
Scooby Regular

But for an unscrupulous dealer surely he coul dget away with saying full service history means it has had all its services documented, doesnt mention anything about times/milage etc just that there is a record of everything done?

I know this is not what we would see as FSH, but if you take the terms literally...
Old 16 May 2004, 09:55 PM
The_Teg_Man
Scooby Regular

you're right R19 thats exactly what this dealer is trying to do.............

There are also other anomolies regarding this sale which I can't really go into any detail but lead me to believe the car is anything but genuine and that I have paid a price and got something which is clearly not what was advertised.

I am checking tomorrow with regards to the validity of the Hondacare warranty, if most Honda main dealers will not honour the warranty with the current service history record then I am going to court for breach of contract with the full aim of getting my money back.

In the meantime I've got no car to drive, what a nightmare
Old 16 May 2004, 10:05 PM
MooseRacer
Scooby Regular

MY99's are every 9000 miles or 12 months whichever comes soonest if my memory serves me right.
Old 17 May 2004, 07:11 PM
Flat 4x4
Scooby Regular

Before you get to the Small Claims situation, I'd give the Honda dealer a chance to allay you fears. I'd be inclined to ask to speak with the Dealer Principal and go along armed with your facts.

It depends what you want to achieve, but if they are prepared to recognise your concerns and looking at resolving by a way other than 'your money back?', you may get somewhere.

I don't know what the other points are that you mention, but why not ask them to put in writing (on letter headed paper) that the Dealer will honour any warranty claims in the event that they are declined for the sole reason that the vehicle's service record does not comply with the terms of the Hondacare warranty ?

I would ask them what they are also prepared to do to put right you concern that the vehicle appears to have been advertised with FSH (if it doesn't have). Next service or another year's extended warranty free ?

If you get nowhere, keep notes from your meeting and advise the D.P that you are putting your concerns (very straightforwardly) in writing to Honda Customer Service.
Old 17 May 2004, 07:44 PM
The_Teg_Man
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies guys, things have moved ahead quite significantly the legal position is now clear and I am putting in writing to the dealer principal the situation as it stands and await the reponse.

The warranty is definitely invalid and Honda UK have now been informed, also tomorrow so will the dealers' local Trading Standards Office.