Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Focus RS Cosworth

Search this Thread

Old 06 May 2004, 07:37 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Focus RS Cosworth

Has anybody heard or read anywhere if they are bringing the Focus Cosworth out, as the bloke across the road has sold his Focus RS, and reckons that he's waiting to put a deposit down on one, if this is true i might have to sell the scoob and start saving, or sell a kidney on e-bay.
Old 06 May 2004, 08:07 PM
misty
Scooby Regular

DIY Focus Cosworth

ord buyers in the US are to be offered the chance to build a do-it-yourself Focus Cosworth. The new Ford Racing Performance Parts catalogue sells a raft of Cosworth tuning parts for US-spec Focus models - and UK owners could benefit, too.

A Cosworth-modified version of the new US Focus range, to be launched later this year, will be based on the new Mazda-sourced 2.3-litre engine. Meanwhile, Europe's all-new Focus (due this summer) will also be offered with the same unit, opening the way for fast Ford fans on this side of The Pond to build their own Mk2 Focus Cosworth. (An official factory-built 4wd Focus Cossie is on the cards, although it won't arrive for some time.)

Buyers will have the choice of a three-stage tuning package which will turn it into a vicious turbocharged hatchback. Ford Special Vehicle Team spokesman Alan Hall told evo that the Cosworth tuning package would come in three stages. 'Stage 1 is a bolt-on intake kit which will improve airflow. Stage 2 uses this induction kit and also sees modifications to the engine's top-end. Stage 3 is a full re-build package and leaves the engine in decent shape for forced induction.'

Hall said full details of the Cosworth tuning package would be revealed in late May. However, evo can reveal that a turbocharger conversion for the 2.3-litre engine is under development at UK-based Cosworth Racing.

UK owners will also have the chance to build a Focus RS replica. All the parts necessary, including the unique front and rear wings and the turbocharged engine, will be available in the catalogue.

This package is aimed at owners of the current 2-litre Focus. It will be possible to buy the four wide-arch steel wings, disc brakes with Brembo callipers, correct springs and dampers, 18in wheels, rear spoiler and all the interior trim parts. There's no news on whether the RS's controversial Torsen differential will be offered with the turbo package, though the catalogue does offer clutch and differential upgrades.

evo also understands that a turbo kit for the 2-litre Zetec engine is currently under development for launch later this year.

FRPP also unveiled a WRC replica bodykit (image) at the recent SEMA tuning show. The bumpers, wheel arch extensions and huge rear spoiler are all retro-fittable and FRPP also offers the decal kit.

However, under the skin is Ford's extraordinary Focus rear-drive conversion kit. Hall said the kit could be bought for as little as $10,000 (£5600). 'The basic carb-fed V8 engine costs around $3000 and the rest of the kit (including gearbox, propshaft, live rear axle and rear diff) can be bought for $6000,' he said. Using the latest 420bhp 5-litre Cammer V8 adds another $5K to the bill. The kit fits current Focus models and - along with the parts in the catalogue - opens up the possibility for an enterprising spannerman to ship all the components needed to build a rear-drive V8 RS Focus super-hybrid.
Never heard of an official one, but found this!
dave
Old 06 May 2004, 09:57 PM
max_b
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by misty
Never heard of an official one, but found this!
dave
gonna be a while before they arrive matey
new focus is only due towards the end of the year
st variants may appear next year (2005)
well into 2006 before the cosyy appears (hopefully!)
Old 06 May 2004, 10:16 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

I spoke to someone the other day and they said that it would cost £30k have 300bhp and the same 4 wheel drive system as used on the Volvo 4x4, . ive always been a big fan of any cosworth powered car (they even made the sierra look good), and id like to know how many scooby owners out there would consider having one.
Old 06 May 2004, 10:45 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

I'd have one
Would win a bet with my m8
As he said he would have a skyline before i would have a focus cosworth, i had a Focus RS before i got my 04 sti
The bet involves his really attractive girlfriend ...... oh & hes banned till 2007

So looks like its the chequered flag for me

sti-04!!

ps put me on the waiting list
Old 06 May 2004, 10:48 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like too little too late. I was excited by a 300 BHP Cosworth a few years back when it was first discussed. Things have moved on now with Evos already at 340 BHP and things like the T25 out with 350 BHP and 2.5 litres.

400 BHP for £30k with good handling and they'd have a winner IMHO. Got to do something to whoop the competition like the old Cossie did
Old 06 May 2004, 10:49 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Seen a Focus RS at Santa Pod a few weeks back, what where Ford thinking, looks nice but Front wheel drive lets it down big time( thats my thoughts, ive never drive one, just seen it go.) just a shame it wasnt 4 wheel drive, could of been a good car.
Old 06 May 2004, 10:53 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Got to agree with you there John Banks, Cosworth would have to come up with something good to even go against, WR1, Type 25, Spec C, EVO FQ330 etc.
Old 06 May 2004, 11:00 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by scoobyboy1
Seen a Focus RS at Santa Pod a few weeks back, what where Ford thinking, looks nice but Front wheel drive lets it down big time( thats my thoughts, ive never drive one, just seen it go.) just a shame it wasnt 4 wheel drive, could of been a good car.
Its the reason i got rid of mine but may i add that previous to that i had a supercharged 2.0 focus & i trust that better than i could trust setup on teh RS

The cosworth would have to be a decent 4wd setup
Old 06 May 2004, 11:05 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

At Santa Pod the Focus RS was struggling big time of the start, i thought it might just be the driver, but you cant beat 4 wheel drive for quarter mile sprints.
Old 07 May 2004, 08:25 AM
Boyakasha
Scooby Regular

Smile

Let's face it, as John Banks has said if the cosworth is only 300bhp it would have to be light weight and have the best trick awd system to compete with the likes of the Subaru and EVO. The new EVO VIII MR FQ-340 is some bit of kit so god knows what power Mitsubishi is going to be offering by 2006

I think Ford have missed the boat, like a lot of manufactures they have gone through a whole version of a car and not released the top spec, now they are releasing the new Focus next year they should be releasing the Cosworth straight away as its flag ship model.

It will have to be bloody good to tempt me away from Subaru/Mitsubishi ownership
Old 07 May 2004, 11:01 AM
Cosworth427
Scooby Regular

Needs 400 HP eh??

Cosworth as a manufacturer, rooting back to their founders, they are very very conservative when it comes to building engines, in relation to the competition out there.

And think what the hardcore Cosworth elite say if Cosworth Ltd built a street engine that is larger than 2 litres???

Building a 400 hp engine from 2 litres for a road car is unlikely, either engine size goes up or they will need to settle for much less than 400 HP.
Old 07 May 2004, 11:31 AM
Ch!lledBudwei2er
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sti-04!!
I'd have one
Would win a bet with my m8
As he said he would have a skyline before i would have a focus cosworth, i had a Focus RS before i got my 04 sti
The bet involves his really attractive girlfriend ...... oh & hes banned till 2007

So looks like its the chequered flag for me

sti-04!!

ps put me on the waiting list
Have I missed something, or how the hell can he be banned untill 2007? Drunk driving doesnt have that long.
Old 07 May 2004, 12:06 PM
jcullen
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Originally Posted by Ch!lledBudwei2er
Have I missed something, or how the hell can he be banned untill 2007? Drunk driving doesnt have that long.
Does if u get caught again, mate got 10yrs second time around !!
Old 07 May 2004, 03:52 PM
MJW
Scooby Senior

I'd heard that the Focus Cosworth is still at least four years from production, so there may even be a new-shape Focus RS in the meantime. Not really my cup of tea the Focus RS, although it does look pretty funky for an MPV-***-shopping cart in a Civic Type-R style. The existing Focus platform is unable to take the mechanics of 4WD hence the RS was FWD. I think the Quaife diff is a bit of an acquired taste too, especially on crappy bumpy UK roads - you'd have to be a pretty skilled driver to extract the best from it.
You can't knock the Sierra Cossy though, I used to have one it was ace (until I binned it )
Old 07 May 2004, 03:55 PM
mattsan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobyboy1
Saw the focus RS at santa pod a while ago,best 1/4 mille it did i think was 15.2 not that good,but front wheel drive does let it down big time,even though its got LSD.
Old 07 May 2004, 04:09 PM
Redkop
Scooby Regular

Steve Scott from A1 Rally Sport has an cossie engine in his Focus

Recorded times:

0 - 60 - 3.7 secs
0 - 100 - 7.57 secs
¼ mile - 11.65
Standing mile @ 29.47 secs - max speed 177.1mph

Has also done a 10.9 @ Santa Pod

Old 07 May 2004, 07:48 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Ch!lledBudwei2er
Drunk, dangerous & without a license a couple of times ended up doing 6 months as well i think he got 8 yrs all in

Young & stupid
Old 07 May 2004, 07:51 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Redkop
Steve Scott from A1 Rally Sport has an cossie engine in his Focus

Recorded times:

0 - 60 - 3.7 secs
0 - 100 - 7.57 secs
¼ mile - 11.65
Standing mile @ 29.47 secs - max speed 177.1mph

Has also done a 10.9 @ Santa Pod

Seen a few rwd ones been built & ran they were wicked
Old 07 May 2004, 07:53 PM
Cabinet Enforcer
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mattsan
Saw the focus RS at santa pod a while ago,best 1/4 mille it did i think was 15.2 not that good,but front wheel drive does let it down big time,even though its got LSD.
It's a FWD car, they are never good at getting off the line, its basic physics, the weight transfer is rearwards so traction reduces more the faster you launch. My car did a 14.8 at the last scoobyshootout day at Elvington, though I understand the surface there is much better than the pod, and another standard car posted a 14.3 on the same day.

Ultimately the 1/4 mile is never going to be a strongpoint for the RS, it's the way it drives that really defines the car. Evidently some people genuinely don't get on with the quaife diff, I don't know why, it seems not to be something people get used to, either you love it or you hate it.
Old 25 May 2004, 10:44 PM
jaf01uk
Scooby Regular

Did a search on Autotrader tonight and there is 87 Focus RS's on there!! That is a scary percentage of the total cars sold
Gary
Old 26 May 2004, 12:48 PM
RS Grant
Scooby Regular

How many of those 87 are going for reasonable money though, and not still inflated to the new O.T.R price or even slightly more!!

I like the RS.. Looks good.. Handles well.. Ok, its not as quick as some other cars in the same price bracket, but speed isnt everything!!

Cheers,
Grant
Old 26 May 2004, 12:58 PM
Bigwood
Scooby Regular

Most of those RS's in the Auto trader are old ad's.

The rs is a great car, handles like a AWD in the dry (shame about the wet) Has a 3rd gear pull on par with a M3, 1st and 2nd are restricted due to front wheel drive. Its not the fastest of the mark, but its got alot of midrange. Like most have said here, would have been alot better if it was AWD with a little more bhp, but its a fantasticly fun car to drive through some backroads in wales. And its a great everyday car.