Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Sweeping Generalisation about BMWs

Search this Thread

Old 07 March 2004, 11:20 PM
p1virgin
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Sweeping Generalisation about BMWs

Apologies to all those decent, considerate, normal BM drivers but.....
...why is it 95% of all the tossers who:

1. Change lanes with no indication
2. Drive in daylight with fog lights on
3. Overtake at ridiculous moments
4. Cut in from completely the wrong lane at the last minute
5. Wear shades when it's raining
6. P!ss everyone off with ignorant driving

...are in BMWs.

I am seriously comtemplating an M5 but not sure I want to be a BMW driver!

Paul
Old 07 March 2004, 11:26 PM
2000TLondon
Scooby Regular

Sounds like you notice this behaviour more if it's a BMW, mate.....

It's like saying "all white van men...." and "all bus drivers....", you're right about the sweeping generalisation!
Old 07 March 2004, 11:33 PM
jonmorris
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 2000TLondon
Sounds like you notice this behaviour more if it's a BMW, mate.....

It's like saying "all white van men...." and "all bus drivers....", you're right about the sweeping generalisation!
You certainly need to split that 95% between BMW, white vans and buses - then you're pretty much spot on!
Old 07 March 2004, 11:36 PM
Skittles
Scooby Regular

Maybe its just you. I don't have any more problems with BMW drivers than other car marques' drivers.

BMW driver bashing is just a bandwagon people seem to jump on. Its worn out and unoriginal.

95% of tossers are BMW drivers... with all due respect, what a complete and utter load of cr@p!

PS: I am not a BMW driver.
Old 07 March 2004, 11:38 PM
2000TLondon
Scooby Regular

I'm sure there are one or two "sweeping generalisations" about Subaru drivers................
Old 07 March 2004, 11:40 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

yah - and audi TT drivers are all gay, scoob owners are all IT geeks etc etc..

If you can't dissassociate the driver and vehicle then it says more about you than the actual event(s)..

p.s. Saxo owners tend to be furious masterbators

Last edited by what would scooby do; 07 March 2004 at 11:40 PM.
Old 07 March 2004, 11:42 PM
Skittles
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 2000TLondon
I'm sure there are one or two "sweeping generalisations" about Subaru drivers................
Yes mate, I agree with you on that one. Sweeping generalisations can be made about just about every group.

Perhaps your list applied to Scooby drivers too? Of the 6 points in the original post, you could generalise and say all of them apply to Scooby drivers, except perhaps no. 5 can be replaced with baseball cap backwards.
Old 07 March 2004, 11:42 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

p.s. I have a pair of US Airforce sunglasses that work really well in fog and at night - food for thought eh
Old 07 March 2004, 11:43 PM
Skittles
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by what would scooby do
p.s. I have a pair of US Airforce sunglasses that work really well in fog and at night - food for thought eh
LOL, it must be an armed forces thing... Everytime you see an armed forces vehicle on the motorway, they always have their lights on... even during broad day light ;-)

Perhaps they all own BMWs?
Old 07 March 2004, 11:49 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

funny - I always managed to indicate no matter what car I drove (from a 320BHP saph cossie, through BMW's and Merc CLK's)

Only now driving the scoob do I leave the headlights on all the time - otherwise people sometimes miss just how fast you are approaching

Old 08 March 2004, 09:30 AM
2000TLondon
Scooby Regular

Maybe the BMW driver wearing shades in the rain was blind?
Old 08 March 2004, 09:54 AM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nah, that generalisation doesnt work anymore, most BMW owners seem to be ok these days.

The common factor with bad drving seems to centre around front fog lights and 'Private' regsitrations rather than the actual makes and models, I do however steer clear of Green Renault Lagunas for some reason.
Old 08 March 2004, 09:54 AM
MattOz
Scooby Regular

LOL

I have had two Scoobs and am now in a 330d BMW having had an M5 for a while. Have to say that I always indicate and even get let out at junctions! Shock Horror!

Tend to find that the only people to sneer at my cars have been reps in 318's who've just managed to get off the corporate Vectra/Mundano/Laguna ladder. They seem to be the real BMW driving to$$ers if they can be categorised as such. However, they do give BMW drivers a bad name. Same as the chavs who can now afford a 1994 WRX. Burberry anyone????

Matt
Old 08 March 2004, 10:17 AM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

How true Matt

Funnily enough this morning, I got passed by a very nice M5 - no problem. It's a dual carrigeway. However, it goes uphill and narrows into one lane quite sharply. No problem if you have 400bhp under your right foot. Mr BM makes it easily.

What's behind trying to keep up - diesel Laguna - why do they bother?? It made me laugh. This Laguna had been following behind me a few cars back and had made no attempt to make any kind of passing move until the M5 comes passed. The fact that the Laguna had to brake very late to get back into lane as he realised he was running out gas and wouldn't make it made it even worse.

Who cares? It's as if the M5 driver was insulting his manhood - how insecure can these people get? I'm sure alot comes down to basic jealousy. I would agree with Matt that I get more hassle from lowly rep mobiles than any other car.

Chris
Old 08 March 2004, 10:22 AM
DJ140
Scooby Regular

I agree, the vast majority of BMW drivers drive like complete t*ssers. Something to do with most of them being company cars maybe?

Not sure why they drive around with fogs on, but plenty of them do, although I did see an Impreza bugeye on the M62 a couple of weeks ago, with all fog ligths blazing and 5 mile visibility! Must have just upgraded from a 3 series.

Dan
Old 08 March 2004, 11:48 AM
jasey
Scooby Senior

I thought the "Laguna" thing was just me - it actually seems to be any french-barge-like-vehicle that attracts the wanna-be-bmw-318-but-it's-not-mine brigade nowadays !
Old 08 March 2004, 12:36 PM
787b
Scooby Regular

Spotting patterns of how different cars are driven isn't just prejudice, it helps keep you safe on the roads.

The smaller the BM, both in terms of engine and series, the more dangerous I consider it.

A few years ago Volvos had a terrible reputation, but as car safety spread the reputation subsided. The Renault Laguna was the first car to have 5 stars in the NCAP crash tests. Coincidence?

I don't know if the people think 'I'm a dangerous driver so I'll get a Laguna' or 'It's got 5 stars so I'm immortal'.
Old 08 March 2004, 12:52 PM
jasey
Scooby Senior

787b - This thread is about sweeping generalisations - yours is general not nearly sweeping enough for me;

Laguna - Built by To$$ers for To$$ers

And if Renault want that for their new strapline they can have it for free !
Old 08 March 2004, 11:04 PM
Mmmmm
Scooby Regular

It's Aston Martin drivers that are the t@$$ers, shooting off thier machine guns, ejecting people all over the place, and all without indicating !

To be honest most BM drivers actually seem to be a bit more switched on and attentive, if anything it's more mundane salloons I watch out for and people with base ball hats on who recline thier seats to such an extent they cn barely see out
Old 08 March 2004, 11:12 PM
p1virgin
Scooby Regular

Guys - just looking to create some debate. I am just saying it how I see it around here. I'm just fed up of getting cut up by them and having to second guess what they are going to do next. They are almost as bad as taxi's!

Now have you ever noticed how ALL cars with fog lights on in the day are French - lol.. :-)
Old 09 March 2004, 12:46 PM
Mark Miwurdz
Scooby Regular

Wink

I did see an Impreza bugeye on the M62 a couple of weeks ago, with all fog ligths blazing and 5 mile visibility! Must have just upgraded from a 3 series.
A contradiction in terms, surely.
Old 09 March 2004, 12:54 PM
Flat 4x4
Scooby Regular

You missed

(7) Try to push you out of the way
(8) Speed up when you try to pass them on the motorway
(9) Really Really hate being out-run by Skodas
Old 09 March 2004, 01:13 PM
ChrisChennell
Scooby Regular

Im all for sweeping generalisations. Last night on the way home the driver of an old 325 carefully avoided all safe overtaking places, choosing instead to pass the person ahead on a steep uphill, naturally with a blind crest....
Old 09 March 2004, 04:04 PM
Mungo
Scooby Regular

Talking The reason behind it

The reason that BMW drivers don't indicate is that they can't - the build quality is so good that the indicator stalks are too stiff for them to use.
Old 09 March 2004, 04:26 PM
gutter-rat
Scooby Regular

A challenge for anyone....
On your way home from work tonight.
Count how many new shape clio's have there fog lights on ?!?!?!
A design fault, time for a recall ?
Old 09 March 2004, 05:14 PM
Flat 4x4
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

... or a new shape Micra with fogs on today
Old 09 March 2004, 08:43 PM
jonmorris
Scooby Regular

The reason that BMW drivers don't indicate is that they can't
Surely the indicator pack is a rather expensive option that not everyone can afford?

And I didn't think you could mix packs either, so if you opt for the indicators then you lose the front fog lights in constant "on" mode.

Old 09 March 2004, 10:24 PM
stone-islandM3
Scooby Regular

As a dedicated BM driver I've unfortunately got to agree but point the finger (or two, usually upright) at the 520 and 318 company car users plus the execs in their X5s. The majority of 'enthusiasts' to the cars drive them a lot more considerately.

I will often get new 318s popping for a chase when out and about in my M3-like because it isnt less than 3 years old they have the right to be infront. 2 instances really stick out:

1-a very nasty drive along the M4 in torrential rain in the fast lane following 5 other cars at about 70-ish....new 318 screams up behind me, tries to undertake then pulls back in behind me pulling up then dropping back then the full-beams start to go on!!! If I'd pulled over (there were cars in the inside lane stopping me doing this) there were still other cars infront! Quick pop of the brakes got him off for a min then back again. Let him past eventually then followed him in to a service station-funny, he drove straight thru without stopping!

2-a new 5 series on the M40 came up the inside of me approaching his lane being closed, as the cones started to close his lane off he blasted the horn, and pulled over without accelerating-nearly took my front end off.

I would guess both were company cars driven by tools (which I always thought were kept in the boot). On both occasions me,my wife and 2 kids were in the M3.

Having said that I ahev been carved up badly on the same stretch of road by a scooby driven by a lunatic-both were overtaking manouevers on blind bends.

John
Old 09 March 2004, 10:32 PM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

I have a problem with Daewoo drivers. When I see one now, I try and have a neutral point of view, but they always do something annoying

I think its an inferiority complex, its like they've given up, realised they drive a **** underpowered heap, and have decided to drive like ****s! Might just be me though.

MB
Old 09 March 2004, 10:35 PM
zxr750Nick
Scooby Regular

Have a look at post #5 in the WR1 vs M3 debate in general......

Crap drivers inhabit all marques, so don't take it all too seriously.

Nick

Quick Reply: Sweeping Generalisation about BMWs