Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

MX-5 - good cheap fun car?

Search this Thread

Old 20 February 2004, 12:56 PM
beefola
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MX-5 - good cheap fun car?

Is it really as good as people make out?
How big is the interior on a MK.1, will it fit my fat-*** 6'3 frame?
Anyone driven/owned one with the Jackson Racing supercharger kit?
ANything major to look out for when buying?
I'm looking at a 1.8 Mk.1 UK car.

Oh, and can i please just get posts from people who have owned/are thinking about owning one, i'm looking for genuine info here.

Hairdresser/poof/etc comments will not be appreciated.

Cheers,
Beef
Old 20 February 2004, 08:08 PM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

yes they are great fun little cars,
Had a MK2 model (slighty larger than MK1 inside), should be able get in and out OK, let one of my friends drive it he is 6'4 and he had no problems.
They are not amazing powerful but the handling and the cournering ability more than makes up for it. The steering feel from them is amazing really can place them 1" from round about and hold them not problem.
I've driven Moss Motors supercharged MK1 - very good and inspired me to buy one for my MK2. Had a hugh laugh at my elder cousin expense as I went straight past him in his MY 97 Scooby (caught him off boost) on a road I know better than him, he could not get past at all and he had not recovered to this day! (saying that my supercharged MX5 was close to 200 bhp in a lot lighter body shell and no 4wd loses).
Nothing major to look for as pretty sturdy cars - look for chassis / sill damage as low cars, Failed headlight motors on MK1's. Have a look at www.miata.net
Swapped my MX-5 for my scoob as needed bigger car but really missed the steering feel - and the ability to drop the roof !

Richard
Old 20 February 2004, 11:02 PM
Echo
Scooby Regular

I had mine, a 1.8, for 90,000 miles (P plate) and it was great fun to drive on B roads. Build quility was great, reliable and was cheap to run. Boot's small, long journeys become very long journeys.

The major problem for me was the road rage that it attracted. When driven as I do now in my Scoob, I would get real hassle and had numerous run in's with some nasty van drivers. Touch wood, in the Scoob I get no hassles. When you're trapped in a traffic jam with a burly nutter threatening you with a big lump of wood and the top's down...... It happened to me! It could do with being faster too!

Get the abs brakes!

:-)

Mike
Old 21 February 2004, 12:50 AM
Midmotorsteve
Scooby Regular

i think they are great little cars, only thing is 17yr olds who drive round 14yr old girls in their corsas will take the **** out of you for being gay, your not safe driving thru town at night. Shame as a mx5 if a fast fun little car.
Old 21 February 2004, 12:55 AM
Midmotorsteve
Scooby Regular

opps, didn't read first comment, can't edit my post,.. supercharged or Hks turbo kit and no one will laugh, hks kit end up with tax at £4000 fitted, get one imported with it fitted and i bet you'll laugh all summer
Old 21 February 2004, 09:22 PM
Olly
Scooby Regular

I loved mine, a Mk2 imported 1.8is six speed.

I'm 6'1, no problems with cabin room. Teriffic build quality and finish. Wonderful handling, huge amounts of low speed, sideways fun. Minimal depreciation, totally reliable, cheap servicing and decent MPG.

Would buy another one tomorrow.
Old 23 February 2004, 09:06 AM
787b
Scooby Regular

Great cars. Prices are just starting to rise now for Spring.

As has been mentioned, check headlight motors on Mk1's. Also, electric windows fail after about ten years. The first sign is the windows go up & down v. slowly. Check the hood, although new costs around £250 so not too bad. Ensure the door sills haven't rusted. Finally, check for crash damage.

A good example is likely to be the most reliable car you've ever owned. 5th from top in recent Warranty Direct Report.

The Miata net is a US site. This one's for the UK...

http://www.mx5oc.co.uk/index2.html
Old 23 February 2004, 07:28 PM
Steve Whitehorn
Scooby Regular

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Smile

Hi Beef
I am a big MX5 fan.
And I currently have a Jackson Racing Supercharged Roadster. Lowered on Eibachs. It is silver with a nice set of alloys on it and the sliver roll bars. Apart from that it looks standard, which is a real laugh, because it is a real Q car. It has been to a few scooby meets and will stay with modified scoobs up and down the gears between about 30mph - 90mph.

Yes they are an excellent drive. Superb chasis, very stiff, excellent driver feed back, mine also has a quicker steering rack. Its like a go kart on steriods, but also a good daily driver under 4000 rpm.

Things to look out for are. Poor paint work on earlier Jap cars. Silver and Red seem to be the worst. It is often not keyed in that well. The Doors are a weak point. Mirrors are fragile, electric windows can stop working if not greased (the cables snap) also door locks can be abit iffy. There are plugs in the body underneath and water can get trapped in there. Rear brake calipers are also prone to sticking. Apart from these minor things they are very very reliable. Over engineered if you like. Even with a supercharger on gearboxes and clutches are fine. Cheap to insure. Cheap to run as well.

It is a shame I didn't see this post earlier. As I have just put mine up for sale and it is mint with full japanese service history. Someone is coming to view it on Wednesday morning. If you are interested let me know. You can see pics of the car on www.eunosverse.com or it just went onto autotrader. It is the only one in the UK I know of for sale so it should be easy to find on auto trader.

I am hankering for a scooby again as I tend to swap between MX5s and scoobys every few years.
It would be nice to sell it to a fellow scooby fan.
Best wishes
Steve

Drop me a line anyway if you want some more buying advice on supercharged/turboed 5s.
Old 23 February 2004, 07:34 PM
Steve Whitehorn
Scooby Regular

Smile

Beef
I can also put you intouch with Phil at performance5. Who is the main mechanic in the Uk for supercharged/turboed 5's. He will give you some good advice. He looks after my car.
Best wishes
Steve
Old 23 February 2004, 07:49 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Brilliant little fun cars!

I have had mine for a year now - it lives in the garage and is insured at £240 as a second/third car with a mileage limit of 3000miles

MPG is a pleasure after the Scoobie scary numbers

NOT fast at all - but its NOT about speed, its about relaxed top down summer motoring

Reliable as hell - completely bullet proof - but buy a good one!!

I looked at 35 before I found one decent!!

I have never had trouble with burly transit drivers or lorry drivers ... then again at 20 stone they would need to have steel ***** to face me down!

I never thought I could fit in one, but I can!

As for the Corsa 17 year olds taking the **** - they would **** their nappies if I caught them at the next set of traffic lights! and who gives a flying fukc what people think anyway?

Yes, they are girls cars - no denying it - but, why should girls and poofs have all the fun?

Buy one!!

Pete
Old 23 February 2004, 08:07 PM
Steve Whitehorn
Scooby Regular

Wink

Are you a hair dresser Pete you poof?
Some bloke shouted 'Poof' at me the other day. Which made me laugh.
Steve

Have you been banned from the MX5 board yet?
Old 23 February 2004, 08:42 PM
Nevetas
Scooby Regular

MX5 - Hairdressers cars. Nuff said
Old 23 February 2004, 09:05 PM
Steve Whitehorn
Scooby Regular

There's always one...
Old 23 February 2004, 11:49 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Like I said, they are girls cars ................. but a man with the ***** to drive one for the pure pleasure it gives is all man in my books!!

Pete
Old 24 February 2004, 07:28 PM
The Mini Daddy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Hey Hey PPl,
i honestly believe that Mx5's are the definitive ''hairdressers'' car. they are not designed to be bought by the male of us. Take a hint, geta porsche 944 turbo for the same money.
Old 24 February 2004, 09:10 PM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

LOL

Huge Fun. nuff said.

Deano
Old 24 February 2004, 10:57 PM
Steve Whitehorn
Scooby Regular

Wink

Hey mini daddy
Despite probably selling my MX5.
P.S. Lewis, Beefola and myself have probably seen just a little bit more of life than you have and therefore you are probably
1. Sexually insecure
2. Sexually insecure
2A. Hasent has too many quality sha..
3. Young and a bit fresh
4. A bit obsessed by bhp

Perhaps you are a bit a poof because it takes some one very confident in there masculinity to drive an MX5.

Lets see if mini tw8t bites
Old 24 February 2004, 11:27 PM
SilverTurboWagon
Scooby Regular

Women love Men in MX-5's.

My wife has had one for 3 years and it's great. It's a Mk2 1.8iS with leather. nice car

I disagree with the power thing, wring it's bloody neck and you'll still end up getting yourself in trouble. Having it snake around when booting off the line due to the LSD is fun too!

The scoob still rinses it for pure power, but smiles per mile are comparable, albiet for different reasons.
Old 24 February 2004, 11:45 PM
Steve Whitehorn
Scooby Regular

STW - Have to agree. The scoob is the better all rounder, especially in all road conditions. The scoob is definately the most accomplished atob car in the right hands. But the MX5 is a great drive, although very different, better handling but far far slower in stock form. If you enjoy driving, or even drive for a living llike I do, then you will aprecaite an MX5 for what it is and not for the image it projects.
Best wishes
Steve
Old 25 February 2004, 12:16 AM
Danbo
Scooby Regular

Women always get on better with more effeminate men.............

Old 25 February 2004, 12:21 AM
Steve Whitehorn
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Spot on Danbo
You have to be intouch with your feminine side to pull a lovely bird - like mine
Steve

Last edited by Steve Whitehorn; 25 February 2004 at 12:28 AM.
Old 25 February 2004, 09:11 AM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

Ours is just the 1.6 (MkII). Still "nippy" enough to have fun - no its not going to out drag anything, but in the sunshine its great fun - in the rain you can still "play" on roundabouts and off the line.

MX5 = unpretentious Fun.
Old 02 March 2004, 01:14 PM
beefola
Scooby Regular

Talking Cheers guys

Thanks for all your advice guys, Steve especially. Has your Eunos gone yet?
I can't imagine someone coming to see it and not buying, looking at the spec and pics on that site.

And as for the morons who slag them off, just drive one, then come back on here post a pic of yourself eating humble pie...

Am dead set on one now, just need to find a good 'un.

Oh, and at 6'3 and 15.5 stone, i don't think too many people will be shouting 'poof' at me....

Beef
Old 02 March 2004, 01:35 PM
Steve Whitehorn
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by beefola
Thanks for all your advice guys, Steve especially. Has your Eunos gone yet?
I can't imagine someone coming to see it and not buying, looking at the spec and pics on that site.

And as for the morons who slag them off, just drive one, then come back on here post a pic of yourself eating humble pie...

Am dead set on one now, just need to find a good 'un.

Oh, and at 6'3 and 15.5 stone, i don't think too many people will be shouting 'poof' at me....

Beef
Yes Beef the first person that saw it bought it. It was a shame to see it go.
Good luck on your search. Let me know if you need more info
Steve
Old 02 March 2004, 07:50 PM
FrenchBoy
Scooby Regular

God i love this forum!

I have no intention of buying an Mx-5 but after reading this thread i almost feel tempted!

my sister in law has one and i'm going to go round there and insist on a drive!!

only on scoobynet can you get a load of die hard scoob owners giving you balanced and reasonable advice....brings a tear to my eye...god bless us all!!

(wanders off into the distance singing the national anthem with faith restored in humanity)
Old 02 March 2004, 10:45 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Took my MX5 out the garage this afternoon and had a blast in the sun!!

Without doubt probably the wisest motoring decision I have ever made, buying the MX5!

I looked for a 3rd car for when the sun shines - considered some 1960's and 70's sportscars ... why anyone would still buy a Spitfire or Stag or MGB or the ilk bewilders me - when sat on a forecourt near you is a Japanese car which rekindles the joys of motoring BUT, its NOT rusting! its NOT unreliable! its NOT 60's technology!

The MX5 is a modern japanese marvel - old world motoring nostalgia with japanese reliability ..... add to that bullet-proof residuals and you have yourself 'the' car to own!

Pete

Last edited by pslewis; 02 March 2004 at 10:47 PM.
Old 03 March 2004, 02:24 PM
matt85
Scooby Regular

great cars. my mum has an import 1.8 which she bought about 2 years ago. done about 25k in it so far and absolutely NO problems.

looks great, very capable and above all a very fun car which seems to take off over about 4000rpm. ignore all the hairdresser comments. if you want a fun cheap sports car i cant think of anything better. not that i'd ever tell my mum this
Old 03 March 2004, 02:41 PM
rickybouy
Scooby Regular

I had one chopped it in last year tis still for sale here "http://www.trowbridge4x4.co.uk/" it's a great car very high spec goes like stink if you want a good one its for sale i'm sure you could knock him down a bit since i only got 3500 for it, it goes and sounds amazing really head turner and can give many "masculine cars" a serious run for there money, buy one you won't regret it, also buy one sooner rather than later coz prices are starting to rise now the sun is getting nearer!!!!
Old 04 March 2004, 07:12 PM
cobra 198
Scooby Regular

Ive got one for sale if anyones interested. Its a 91 Eunos in British racing green with a tan leather interior. Air con power steering and great stereo are all included as well as a set of Stark alloys and a 10CD changer in the boot. Pete
Old 04 March 2004, 07:15 PM
cobra 198
Scooby Regular

Forgot to say its areal hoot to drive. The most fun ive had since I sold my Scoob and bought a 300ZX TTurbo. Love the mpg too. Pete again.

Quick Reply: MX-5 - good cheap fun car?