Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Why d'ont TVRs have ABS/Traction?

Search this Thread

Old 23 December 2003, 07:40 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I d'ont understand this at all. TVR makes cars as powerful as the Tuscan S with no electronic safety aids. I know that the usual spin(no pun intended) is that its to get a pure driving experience but now Porsches, Ferraris all have them. Would'nt traction control on a Tuscan or T350 double sales overnight?
Old 23 December 2003, 07:43 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts
Wink

ABS and TCS are for girlies. And as we know TVR is supposed to be a "mans" car

I don't think they have airbags either!

[Edited by ALi-B - 12/23/2003 7:44:44 PM]
Old 23 December 2003, 07:49 PM
camk
Scooby Regular

could be development costs or relicencing costs of the hardware and software. Its one thing to fire a big engine into a light car. Its another to develop a whole modern car package.
Old 23 December 2003, 08:10 PM
MooseRacer
Scooby Regular

They claim it dilutes the driving experience.

I suspect it's more to do with them not having the cash though.
Old 23 December 2003, 10:12 PM
class_A
Scooby Regular

Something like Racelogic TC isn't too expensive though is it? Do they offer it as an option or is it up to the individual to fit an aftermarket system if desired?
Old 24 December 2003, 08:57 AM
CraigH
Scooby Regular

If they can't get the basics of wiring right, then they haven't got a hope when it comes to ABS etc.
Old 24 December 2003, 09:05 AM
mn_angrybeats
Scooby Regular

Have you ever owned a TVR ????

FFS the traction control is your right foot, it's simple :-)

I drove my Cerbera in all conditions, in fact even wet traction was pretty good you the power it's got just needs to be respected...

TVR's are proper sports cars, ok the reliability is ****e and the handling is crude but adding ABS, traction control etc will remove some of the driving experience...

Similar to the Elise I suppose, they dont even have servo assistance for the brakes...

Leave them as they are it's those they say that they need driver aids need the education..

[Edited by mn_angrybeats - 12/24/2003 9:07:15 AM]
Old 24 December 2003, 09:30 AM
rickybouy
Scooby Regular

Wink

Gotta agree with above Traction control etc takes away from the driving experience without a shadow of a doubt.. although i driver with my compitance should have it as standard!!!!!
Old 24 December 2003, 10:21 AM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

but now Porsches, Ferraris all have them
Hmmm, Porsches and Ferraris cost £70-£100k and TVR's cost half that! There's your answer.

I'm sure TVR could develop Traction control, stability controls etc. but I don't think that would get that many more drivers (and if it did, TVR has a limited build so may not cope with demand) and people know what TVR's are and appreciate the driving experience. Also, it's less things to go wrong. Caterhams etc. get by without driver 'aids' too.

Should have ABS though, although it's not THAT important to have on a TVR if the costs/reliability are prohibitive.
Old 24 December 2003, 11:21 AM
Skittles
Scooby Regular

No, BMWs and Mercs have pretty spohicticated Tranction Controls (i.e. 4 wheel independent braking etc) and they cost a fraction of a Porsche.

Most TCs can be switched off, so surely its better to have it for the times you don't want to be caught out
Old 24 December 2003, 11:28 AM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

But BMW and Merc have loads of 'normal' cars and have developed traction control etc. systems for a high number of cars thus the cost per car is quite low (economies of scale etc.).

Anyway, bmw's and mercs don't look like or sound like TVRs or have beautiful interiors, street cred etc.
Old 24 December 2003, 11:33 AM
scoobysnacks
Scooby Regular

Smile

I've heard it's mainly because the TVR boss, Peter Wheeler doesn't like such things because they detract from the driving experience. On a different note - did you know that TVR stands for Trevor... which I find quite funny for some reason.
Old 24 December 2003, 11:59 AM
Luke
BANNED

If they did fit it.... It would fall off, not work etc.... Bloody kit cars thats all.
Old 24 December 2003, 02:11 PM
Skittles
Scooby Regular

"Anyway, bmw's and mercs don't look like or sound like TVRs or have beautiful interiors, street cred etc."

Agreed, but thats hardly a reason not to fit TC that you can switch off when you like
Old 24 December 2003, 02:19 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Agreed (hence the smilies ), however, I'd compare a TVR to a porsche or ferrari, not repmobiles and against this competition the TVR's a lot cheaper.

Yes they could add £10/£20k to the price and have driver aids but then that's a lot of money to spend on driver aids!!! Owners need the extra £10/£20k to service and fix the darn things
Old 24 December 2003, 02:55 PM
Bader23
Scooby Regular

i take the view if the car is still awesome without the driver aids its that much of a better car...

then its all about the chasis and the driver control and the brakes and suspension etc...

if anything if the car is good without these aids it makes it that much of a better car...

my lc hasnt got traction control..although it has abs so compared to a tvr its a big girl
Old 24 December 2003, 03:16 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

It's all down to Trevor Whassname. He hates traction control and won't have it on his cars. Remember, this is the guy that stopped using the Rover V8 and developed his own engine because BMW bought Rover and he wouldn't have anything German in his cars.

He's a proper "mans man" and would probably kick you in the head for even asking about ABS.

Old 24 December 2003, 03:22 PM
Bader23
Scooby Regular

i agree!!

good call!!!

i dont care how unreliable they are they stick to their core values!!
Old 24 December 2003, 04:05 PM
Skittles
Scooby Regular

The reason they are 20k cheaper is not because of TC or ABS (Its really cheap these days), but because they are not particularaly well built (not saying they are not good cars here). They leak and breakdown - Fact.

Last trackday I went to, i saw *3* TVRs breakdown. 2 for brakes. Nothing manly about that!

A agree that they are more comparable with Porsches and Ferraris rather then sports saloons. However, I'm sure if most people could afford the £20k+, they would always go for the Porsches/Ferraris.

Edited to say: TVR are under serious threat from Noble. Their cars are much better built, and have stunning performance and looks.

If this is a what defines a *real* man's car.

PS - I seriously doubt Trev changed engines because he wanted nothing German in his car. I think the reason for the change was probably a little more intellegent than that! I seriously doubt there are no German components in his cars.

[Edited by Skittles - 12/24/2003 4:06:49 PM]
Old 24 December 2003, 04:07 PM
Bader23
Scooby Regular

think your wrong their m8...

fromw hat i have heard every component is made in britain by british companies....

qed
Old 24 December 2003, 04:11 PM
Skittles
Scooby Regular

Fair enough if I am m8 -

I'm not saying it isn't for sure, as I don't know for a fact, just that I would be surprised if it was all UK built given how many small components there are.
Old 24 December 2003, 04:12 PM
Bader23
Scooby Regular

fair enuff m8..without writing to tvr and asking them none of us are totally sure
Old 24 December 2003, 04:14 PM
Skittles
Scooby Regular

"my lc hasnt got traction control"
Bader, whats the lc? Lotus Carlton?
Old 24 December 2003, 04:14 PM
Luke
BANNED

They need to settle down and produce a great car that is built well look good (But not styled by them!!) and comes in under £20k

The current stuff looks like Micheal jacksons face..and maybe no better made!!
Old 24 December 2003, 04:16 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Nothing German???? They've been using VW Corrado wing mirrors for years! Probably many other parts from various manufacturers (from various countries).
Old 24 December 2003, 04:17 PM
Bader23
Scooby Regular

Skittles.

yes....Lotus Carlton...the only driver aids on that (if you can call them that) are a limited slip differential..power steering (which isnt exactly light by modern standards) and abs
Old 24 December 2003, 04:17 PM
Skittles
Scooby Regular

Agree with you about build quality, but in terms of looks, IMHO, I don't think there are very many cars out there (at whatever the price) that look better.

Take the new one - What a beast. Imagine that thing closing in your rear view mirror!
Old 24 December 2003, 04:19 PM
Bader23
Scooby Regular

personally i like the chimaera and the cerbera...somethin very british about them....but i suppose its that good old personal preference again
Old 24 December 2003, 04:20 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

its down to trevor belive its a good idea and sticking to his guns even though hes wrong.

all this "it takes away from the experience" stuff is nonsense. a natural experience is to go for a jog- the minute you get in a car you have embraced science...otherwise hollow out a tree and go paddle that.

many things on a car assist with the experience that you have no control over.

I had a TVR and while it was good if it had cost £20 more, had ABS and wasnt built by monkies i'd have kept it.....but then i'd have bought a porshe if it cost £20 more...which is the real reason TVR dont do it. they have a niche all of their own, cheap, crap built supercars....no competition...if they built normal price, normal build supercars they wouldnt compete anymore.

T
Old 24 December 2003, 04:20 PM
Skittles
Scooby Regular

Lotus Carlton... Cool car mate.

Quick Reply: Why d'ont TVRs have ABS/Traction?