Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

X5's And the Price !!!

Search this Thread

Old 11 July 2003, 10:23 PM
Mmmmm
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
at the begining of the year I decided to get another car with lots of room , good for long journeys and thought it would be nice to get a 4 by 4 so it could be used for a spot of shooting , fishing and dotting about the highlands.

Looked at 2nd hand X5, ML and Jeep grand cherokee , test drove them (had a Jeep Grand Cherokee for a weekend).

X5 handled best least roll and understeer , best steering by a long shot, unfortunatly has a really quite stiff uncomfortable ride like a sports car (on sports wheels with road tyres), rear seats are small not full size and the boot is smallish (500 cuft).

ML next best handling noticably more roll, fairly dead steering, better ride by a long way than the X5 overall grip not bad but comfort breaks down long before on a winding road, good size rear and rear seats, big boot 1000 cuft.

Jeep a little worse handling, very little feel through steering lots of roll, slightly better ride than ML ? Rear seats not as big as ML, big boot 1000 cuft.

Chose an ML430 was nearly £10k cheaper than same age X5, loads of kit, offered best room for 4 adults and loads of luggage, some real offroad ability , didn't thing you bought a 4 by 4 for the handling.

Sold it within a month, braking was terrible, comfort terrible at anyspeed on a winding road due to roll (luckily it had leather seats for when Sarah spewed on the woodhead pass ) nearly killed us during and emergancy lane change, which an average family saloon would have managed to handle no problem.

The X5 is better than the Ml for handling/safety but is still a 4 by 4, I traded the ML for and older S430 which was more comfortable, more room, better handling, better brakes, faster, better economy and more fun to drive (smaller boot though !).

If you must have a 4 by 4 get the X5 if you drive at any speed, although the 530d sport touring is a great car and better value.

The Jeeps were best value 2nd hand, loads of kit, the diesel has a mercedes engine.

[Edited by Mmmmm - 11/7/2003 10:29:44 PM]
Old 11 July 2003, 10:56 PM
GTI
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Tell me about there everywhere (I'm now in Alderely Edge, so I'm probs that far from you Olly - I can't stand it!)
Canyenne, Range Rover and X5 country - oh and not forgettin the RX and Land Crusiers.
There are 3 on my road alone, 2 Canyennes and a Range Rover. There are only 50 or so houses! :O

Bloody Awful things or though I was quite taken by a 5.0TDI Toureg I drove, just a bit too much sway for me.
Give the VW a go very nice!

[Edited by GTI - 11/7/2003 10:59:46 PM]
Old 11 September 2003, 07:51 PM
rb5 286
Scooby Regular

have uy seen the X3?

brochure

think this is cheaper then the X5

[Edited by rb5 286 - 11/9/2003 7:51:53 PM]
Old 07 November 2003, 09:51 PM
Wish
Scooby Regular

Im looking for a X5 but cant get over the price of them secondhand.

I want a Black with Black Leather Diesel if possible, but cant find one anywhere near retail price.

Drive the deal can source a UK Supplied one for £37k !!
Yet there are secondhand ones (same ish Spec) for the same money ?

I havent driven one yet but honestly are they that good... must be to command that kind of residual

Old 07 November 2003, 10:23 PM
Olly
Scooby Regular

Supply and demand my friend.

My parents had a 3.0 Diesel with sport pack. They had waited over a year for delivery. It was stolen within 5 weeks.

The local dealer quoted them another 6 months wait for a brand new replacement. As an alternative, they offered them an ex demo, which was priced way over list. They bought a Cayenne..

Buying used is the easy way (and possibly the only way) to walk straight into an X5 without the agonising wait. Popularity keeps prices high: as long as people keep paying the price for wanting it NOW, they will sell. Common as Mondeo's in our neck of the woods.
Old 07 November 2003, 10:27 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

they are rather good for the size i ragged the **** of one round the driven test track as part of their audience & did handle much more car like than range rover etc. Dunno bugger all about prices but if i had loadsa money spare suppose i may go for one
I wood note i managed to get a bit of the dash board to fall apart when i was testing it, now i wood be feked off if it did that after spending so much mopney but it's negligable i suppose & not surprising after all the **** it had thrown at it
Si
Old 07 November 2003, 10:33 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Agree with Olly, school run bus for ladies who lunch. They are pretty good but pretty naff as a statement of taste.

Trending Topics

Old 08 November 2003, 11:35 AM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Mmmmmm - why didnt you consider the Range Rover? I too looked at what you looked at but also included 'the daddy'...!

I wont slag off the Jeep Grand Cherokee as I dont want to risk insulting anyone here, but the ride and handling were below par. Nice big 4.7 lump though.

X5? Too pricy secondhand and too common I'm afraid. It is a lovely looking thing though.

The Merc is dull and so lacks spark or any charisma - hired one for a week in Switzerland too so it had a good test.

I think you can guess what I bought and I love it but hate the mpg :O 'Sports' is done by my sneakliy being able to keep my STi through not paying through the nose for an X5 which was originally my first choice
Old 08 November 2003, 07:12 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

GTI, just up the road from you, Wilmslow near the Kings Arms pub, speaking to a neighbour today who is about to order a Cayenne !
Old 08 November 2003, 07:31 PM
Raks
Scooby Regular

what about the XC90 ?????
Old 08 November 2003, 08:06 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

My wife HATES SUV's so much she got rid of the ML320 we had and bought a Sharan but would love an XC90, perhaps an SUV for SUV objectors ?

There was one down here the other day and apparently it was the top of the range worth 45 grand, mental !
Old 08 November 2003, 08:08 PM
CavT
Scooby Regular

Volvo XC90 is VERY highly rated, more so than the X5 and with a longer waiting list!

I used to drive for Toyota/Lexus, and althought the RX300 is fine for pottering around on roads, its a 4x4 in name only. You wouldn't want to be chucking it around in rutted country roads!

Good spec levels though, but very odd looking.
Old 08 November 2003, 08:59 PM
Rosco
Scooby Regular

Talking

Mmmmmmmm - totally agree with your comments on the various cars. I didn't bother looking at the Range Rover as I didn't want an "Old Mans Car" or the unreliability!

I placed my order for an X5 diesel sport back in January and it will be ariving (I'm told) in Feb-March and will be the face lift model. In the mean time we got bored and recently bought a brand new X5 Diesel Sport, Black with Black leather and privacy glass, sat nav etc etc. We paid a premium for the car, but what else could we buy for six months and not have to worry about depreciation.

Bottom line, they don't depreciate what so ever, yet! But they will soon, even though the waiting lists are long (especially for diesels) the secondhand hand market will soon have plenty around.

If you're interested in waiting until February, you could buy ours at sensible money with much less than 10k on the clock.

Bloody good cars though and worth the wait, especially as our new one will have even more power and torque.
Old 08 November 2003, 08:59 PM
GTI
Scooby Regular

Yeah think I know that JACKO. Well I'm afraid I won't around much longer!
Seen lots of XC90's, well not lots but you know what I mean (10 plus).

I'd still say Toureg!
Old 09 November 2003, 12:10 AM
Bobby Peru
Scooby Regular

3.0d sport the one to go for if you can get 'em.
Old 09 November 2003, 09:13 PM
Rosco
Scooby Regular

I should bloody well hope it is cheaper!
Old 10 November 2003, 09:24 AM
gregjd
Scooby Regular

My Dad's just bought a new X5..A black 4.4 Sport. He lives in the States and they're much more readily available there mind you (and at a discount). He's had a few probs with it already and I tend to think the build quality of US-built Beemers is not so hot.

I checked out the 3.0d Sport, as well as the XC90 and Touareg but ended up ordering a new Merc E320cdi estate.. Quicker, more frugal, more room in the back, more car-like handling and IMHO a better image.. Still a bit ladies who lunch (didn't Carmela Soprano drive one?) I know but I can "Brabus it up a bit" if needs be
Old 10 November 2003, 02:12 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

I'll get me Zimmer frame then
Old 10 November 2003, 03:37 PM
woodmeister
Scooby Regular

Am I the only one who doesn't get SUV's? I can understand if yer a farmer or someone who lives in some out of the way place, like Northern Russia, but I live in London and there's hundreds of 'em. Never has a car been such a triumph of form over function. Someone in my road has a Toyota Landcruiser Amazon and it takes up twice the space of anything else and it blocks out the sun as I drive past; I keep meaning to expalin to my neighbour it's called an Amazon for a reason..

Also can someone tell me why they are are all universally ugly?
Old 10 November 2003, 05:04 PM
MattOz
Scooby Regular

Cool

If you're after a new X5 and don't want the 18 month wait, give Trip at Arjunauto a call. The prices are competitive and some build slots are available. There is an black fully spec'd X5 3.0d Sport available immediately IIRC.

www.arjunauto.com

Matt

PS - I have no affiliation with Arjun. I've just bought a car from them, that's all.

Old 10 November 2003, 05:55 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Wood – do you have kids? Do you have a big dog? Do you, like me, feel like you are loading up for a trans-arctic expedition when you are popping off to see the in-laws? Do you have an affection for large capacity V8 motors & a luxury interior? Do you feel your kids are slightly safer surrounded by tons of metal –especially when a tin pot Fiat Panda pulls alongside you?

Can I ask have you driven a Range Rover 4.6 HSE? It is a bloody lovely car to drive and has nice feeling inside with a great driving position. It complements my mad for it STi V to perfection – two completely different vehicles. It also makes me drive much more slowly and with less G than in the Scoob - very relevant when the baby is in the back. It aint no sports car – that’s for sure!

I wouldn’t mind an Audi RS4 or RS6 Avant (subject to driving one of course) but these were out of my price range and I’d always liked Range Rovers since a boy. The Audi’s will be more cramped though and I guess more expensive in parts & servicing. The RR I service myself (to a point)

All my mates and colleagues love going in the RR; it just feels good. All those outside of it dislike it – fancy a spin, ground hugger

D
PS dont forget your Scoob is a 4x4 and of farming extraction too!!!
Old 11 November 2003, 01:11 PM
woodmeister
Scooby Regular

I still don't get it. The latest Euro Encap crash tests proved that most SUV's give an illusion of safety that doesn't match reality when metal meets metal. The current Fiesta is safer that a Freelander for example.

And yes you maybe surrounding your off spring with large amounts of iron but when you drive into the old lady in the Fiat Panda she's effectively toast. Then maybe for driving a Fiat Panda she deserves it. You take my point thou.

Oh and they are still ugly.

Old 11 November 2003, 01:53 PM
Wish
Scooby Regular

Well a little update, after driving one on saturday ive decided against the X5 and have gone for a Audi A3 TDi Sport.

Except..... The dealer cant find me one ! Looks like it will be a factory order and i should see it in Feb.... Then i will have to wait for the new reg in march. Will i ever get a new car ?

If you work, or know someone that works for an Audi dealer, See if they can find me a Lava Grey / Metallic Black with Black leather.

[Edited by Wish - 11/11/2003 1:54:21 PM]
Old 11 November 2003, 03:40 PM
MattOz
Scooby Regular

Wish,

YHM

Matt

Old 11 November 2003, 04:39 PM
Wish
Scooby Regular

Thanks for that matt, Ive made the call !
Old 13 November 2003, 08:43 PM
Rosco
Scooby Regular

Matt- you don't know Harj then either!

I was going to mention them as like you say, they have them listed as available!