BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i want 1 now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10 August 2003, 08:15 PM
S.B.
Scooby Regular

Talking

I am sure if you offer the right amount of money he would sell it....
Old 10 August 2003, 08:18 PM
TurboMav
BANNED

lol im sure he would
Old 10 August 2003, 08:20 PM
nisr227
Scooby Regular

I was at USC car today, saw Simon ND's Evo do a couple of runs, first he missed a gear into second and still got a 11.7, 2nd he still had problems getting into 2nd gear but got a 11.4sec run.

The queues were far too long at times, so I think he gave up. Once he's got that car launching properly and quick changing consistantly he'll be mid 10's I reckon, especically when he did a 10.9 last weekend and didn't look like he was even trying, but it doesn't look easy to get right!
Old 10 August 2003, 08:22 PM
*Sonic*
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
so he didnt blow summit

blimey got to be a first :P

Old 10 August 2003, 08:35 PM
Type R
Scooby Regular

Wink

he ran a 10 something a month ago at the Pod, nothing broke unlike some cars
Old 10 August 2003, 08:42 PM
TurboMav
BANNED

it was in a bit of a mess on top gear, oil everywhere in the engine bay
Old 10 August 2003, 08:52 PM
nisr227
Scooby Regular

Yeah I saw the 10.90 at the "god of the Pod" comp, and then the same at TOTB2, but that car still has far more potential, from a spectators view I think the car can launch far better. There was a skyline doing low 12s today (so there are many quicker ones) but even he still looked like he was going off the line quicker than the Evo. I'm hoping he'll turn up at the jap show on 12th October at the pod, when its cooler and do a quicker time.
Old 10 August 2003, 08:56 PM
S.B.
Scooby Regular

Talking

it was in a bit of a mess on top gear, oil everywhere in the engine bay
Thats old though been sorted now.
Old 11 August 2003, 04:52 PM
PeteD
Scooby Regular

To be fair, Simon wasnt driving it on the Top Gear show, had he of been he would have noticed the high exhaust temps
Old 11 August 2003, 05:25 PM
ustolemyname??stevieturbo
Scooby Regular

It may be a very fast and impressive car, but for the money that has been spent on it, its bloody unreliable.
Trying to make it as fast as a skyline is all good and well. But it seems it will never take the abuse a skyline does.
I think I read somewhere that aover £70k has been spent on the car ( that was a while ago, im sure its even more now ).
For that kind of money, it should be faster than it is, and totally reliable.
Old 11 August 2003, 05:30 PM
PeteD
Scooby Regular

£70k indeed....

http://web.norrisdesigns.com/Feature...at=&id=8&cid=0
Old 11 August 2003, 05:38 PM
nisr227
Scooby Regular

Yeah thats true about the reliability, but you have to admire Simon for developing such a car to demo his company, different than the normal all powered skylines. He's also learning what works on his car so this can be passed to customers in the future.

I also respect him for going to many shows, trailored or not, and using it in anger. Its his choice to spend the money on an ultimate evo, which is still being developed and will be quicker, and it always requires people like him to see how far the boundaries go.

Here's to 9's at Santapod, which he'll get once that launch is sorted with more boost.

STEVE
Old 11 August 2003, 08:24 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Trying to make it as fast as a skyline is all good and well. But it seems it will never take the abuse a skyline does.
If you highly mod a car its bound to have problems and things break. That 1000bhp skyline didnt make it either as it had a problem a few days before TOTB2. Happens to them all as some point.

Old 11 August 2003, 10:32 PM
nisr227
Scooby Regular

The famous rocket ronnie skyline also pulled out of the totb2 finals (after doing a 10.4 run) due to problems, and the Sumo Skyline was also experiencing faults, something to do with it clutch.
Old 12 August 2003, 01:03 AM
Scooby Regular

The heat may have helped kill some cars on the day. From what I heard, Ronnies car broke a piston, though I cannot confirm. He did however have the ***** to drive his car to the event, confident that it would return safely.
Does ND ever do that??

Yes, all performance cars will have reliability issues, but skylines do seem to handle a lot of power quite well. They are also bloody expensive to buy and modify as well.
I have only seen the Norris car twice ( last years Evo5, and the new Evo7 ) at TOTB. Both times it broke down. It is very fast, but only for short periods of time it seems.
If pushing the limits that far makes it so unreliable that you cant drive it without a full backup/repair team, then whats the point???
Old 12 August 2003, 01:26 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
approximately 2.2lbs per kg, so roughly 2750lbs. I'm sure someone more **** would give an exact figure
Old 12 August 2003, 09:14 AM
catflap
Scooby Regular

The Norris evo is a pretty well know car, even by people like me who have never seen it in the flesh, so the marketing has worked quite well. A little expensive at 70k for advertising, but if he can afford it, and is a piston head, what better was to spend your shackles??? Constructive, productive and fun.

Probably created such a name for itself because it NOT ANOTHER skyline? Just a thought.
Old 12 August 2003, 02:48 PM
Stevie
Scooby Regular

Matt,

Is it me or have you managed to post in Dec 03?

Cheers
Old 12 August 2003, 03:10 PM
Type R
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Happy Christmas

How are you Stevie, long time no see.
Old 13 August 2003, 01:27 AM
Mantamac
Scooby Regular

I think it's sad that so many people make harsh comment's about Simon's car. How many other people can claim to have extracted over 700bhp out of a production 4cyl 16valve and keep it drivable at sane speed's. The mapping on the car is fantastic as it sounded so smooth right from idle during it's timed run's at Elvington . The other component's on the car (transmission etc) were desighned for use in a 280bhp(ish)road car , so is it any surprise he's had a few reliability problem's. If you read the technical fourum's on this BBS people are struggling to keep relatively standard car's reliable for day to day use without experiencing problem's of one sort or another, so given the level of modification to the engine he's entitled to melt or snap a few thing's on the way(he's hardly shy with the thing, as the people at TOTBII whatching him plough through the cone's on the handling strip will testify.
On the subject of him spending 70g's on it, it's because it's an advert for his company. The car has generated far more interest in his company than if hed spent 70 grand on advertising on Sky TV for example. The fact that he's a petrol head make's his investment a bounus. Plus if it's a company asset and he sell's/break's it at a loss I think he is entitled to Tax relif (someone may correct me on this), so all in all it's a really good bit of marketing and he get's to do something he obviously has a passion for.
If I was in his situation I'd probably tow it to and from event's as well. His car's get a lot of hype before an event and if he encouter's a problem on the way to a high profile event that prevent's it from entering then it's money down the drain and more flack on the car bbs's.
This isn't an anti anything other than a Lancer post. The other car's at TOTBII were fantastic. Seeing Ronnie's Skyline tear up the strip is an image that will stay in my mind for many year's to come. It seemed to by-pass the 0 to 60 and just leap to 80 mph inside a few feetLoved it! (pity he hadn't given it a wash)

Mac.
Old 13 August 2003, 01:34 AM
DjacK-uk
Scooby Regular

Well said!!
Old 13 August 2003, 07:40 AM
MooseRacer
Scooby Regular

Quite. Why do people slag this car? Some sort of jealousy or inadequacy on their part?

The guy's getting over 350bhp/litre from his Evo and it's used hard on a regular basis - fair play to him
Old 13 August 2003, 03:50 PM
achad
Scooby Regular

I think its a wicked car, for an Evo... ;p And hey, its his car and his money and show me a person who has seen the car preform and not enjoyed it??? We should be thanking him and cheering him on and encouraging more ppl to 'tinker'!

Heres a link to my FTP with the Norris Evo doing a little dance

http://homepage.mac.com/achad/TOTB_2_Movies/
Old 14 August 2003, 12:28 AM
Scooby Regular

All very true comments, and from a marketing point of view, he is doing very well.
But spending well over £70k for a car to break down at almost every outing is a bit OTT.
I wonder if a customer wanted the same thing, what would he say to them??? Certainly sir, but do you mind it breaking down every day ?

They say, Power is nothing, without control. Its also nothing with broken driveshafts/gearboxes.

As much as I dont like Fords in general ( even though I do own an old Ford ), How reliable is Martin Hadlands Reyland car, and how does it compare financially?
Old 14 August 2003, 02:14 AM
Madjay
Scooby Regular

advertising is tax exempt so thats 70grand the flithy gov dont get any money from i say BRAVO keep it up
Old 14 August 2003, 08:56 AM
MooseRacer
Scooby Regular

stevie - I think the point is that he is pushing the boundaries of what is possible with that car. Getting nigh on 800bhp from a 2ltr 4 cyl production based car is nothing short of amazing.

Let's face it, most of his customers are going to be looking at 4/500bhp conversions - and those can be produced reliably. He's not trying to deceive anyone, isn't claiming his car to be 100% reliable and would, I'm sure, be totally upfront about reliabilty should someone come to him with 70big ones and asked for a 800bhp EVO.
Old 14 August 2003, 11:00 AM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?
ahh but its not a 2.0!
Old 14 August 2003, 11:08 AM
MooseRacer
Scooby Regular

Very true David but the rest still stands
Old 14 August 2003, 11:11 AM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?

Quick Reply: Norris Design Evo VII....