Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

VW Passat - pros and cons please.

Search this Thread

Old 04 April 2003, 02:58 PM
PiNkEyE69
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Thinking of gettings a 2nd hand passat next month.
Looking at S/T reg, about 45k miles.
Can anyone list the pros and cons of this vehicle (from experiance).

Cheers.
Old 04 April 2003, 03:36 PM
brickboy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Fairly recent Passat owner but I've driven a few.

Pros: build quality, interior space & equipment, low-ish running costs, 1.8 turbo motor is a nice drive and reasonably quick & economical. Diesels are great, try to get a PD130 if you can, they've been around for a couple of years now.

Cons: soggy suspension unless you get a Sport model, understeers massively unless you get a Sport (which still understeers but less so), dead pedals.

Basically, don't buy one for driving thrills. As they were facelifted fairly recently, "old" ones are going quite cheap now. I would say go for a PD130 diesel if you can, engine is very punchy and staggeringly economical too.
Old 04 April 2003, 05:54 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

i run a 99T 2.8V6 with 4 wheel drive so cant comment on performance and drive of lower spec cars...but build quality is Audi level- in fact i was in an A8 yesterday and spotted loads of bits that are in my car! (even the same engine!)

Tiggs

ps- mines for sale if you want a goodun!
Old 04 April 2003, 05:57 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I think Brickboy has pretty much covered it and very well
Old 04 April 2003, 07:16 PM
Kevin Mc
Scooby Regular

I've had a 2001 2.0SE from new. Build quality is very good - I compared Passat, Mondeo, Laguna at the time, and the VW was easily the best. Isn't too slow, but could do with more poke - I'd recommend the PD130 or 1.8T if you want a bit more power. Mondeo (as in new shape) was just quicker in 1.8 guise than my 2.0, though even more common than the Passat.

My only real gripe is the boot - although big, the access is poor - big stuff will not fit in it

Decent mileage (30,000miles ish) new shapes start at around £8k. Late older shape Passats seem to come in from around £5k.

Not that happy with my local VW dealer though - could definately be better...

You could also try http://www.vwvortex.com/ though this is US based.
Old 04 April 2003, 08:39 PM
Flat 4x4
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Don't think there's much wrong with the Passat - solid, roomy etc etc and the only real criticsms are to do with driver 'involvement'.

If this is part of your vocabulary buy something esle, but otherwise fine cars and better value than the Audi A4 IMHO.
The V6 syncro / 4motion (as mentioned) is a quality piece of kit which is totally under-valued by the trade.

If MPG is a concern, buy any of the 110bhp and up TDis. If not, live it up in the V6.
Old 04 April 2003, 09:23 PM
PiNkEyE69
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Cheers Guys.
Basically, the model range I'm looking at are the pre-faceclift models (S & early T reg I think), 1.8 20V engine.
I've seen prices from around 5K for high (90k+ miles) to around 7-7.5k for mid mileage (about 40k).
I've seen a few 2nd hand models around that takes my fancy, is there anything technical I should look for on an older model (ie and known defects that's likely to go unnoticed.
I'm thinking of buying from a VW dealer (my local has a very good rep from what I've told - basic reason for this is money, I have to try and sell my car first which I don't think will be much, and then put that as part payment on the car and pay the rest on finance), is there somethings I should be aware of, like how much MOT will they give me (If a car has 2 months until it's mot is due, is it worth haggling with them to mot it before I buy as a condition of purchase?)
Now I've heard a few things about the air con in these cars, my mate bought one and although it's fine technically, the aircon needed work and he found it out it could be quite costly.
I understand they have to have a yearly service, If I buy from a dealer is it likely to be serviced before I drive it away or is the onus on me to service it?
Just out of curiosity what is the usual MPG for these cars? for a reference point I do about 80% motorway driving to and from work a week, so pretty much cruising speeds (hey, it's the M3 Motorway - it's not like you're going to go fast!)
Cheers for all input.

[Edited by PiNkEyE69 - 4/4/2003 10:26:01 PM]
Old 05 April 2003, 07:41 AM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

My father has had a 1.8 20v for 4 years now (S or R reg, I forget which). Car has been pretty faultless. Build quality is good, but is still shamed by Audi in both quality and design (seat seem far to far away from doors which look 'cheap'), but above all, and for it's class is a league ahead of anything at the age....proven by the fact that almost every other competitor has just cloned/copied the passat inside and out!!!

I drove it and found it classic VAG. Fine, but uninvolved and pretty boring from behind the wheel. But my dad is 60 so it suits his needs perfectly....if a reliable, comfortable well built family car is more important than grinning when you get out....you can't do better, although the new Mondeo is almost as well built and a better drive...but is more common than hair!

His only gripe has been with the dealers and the cost and wear rate of simple items.
Old 05 April 2003, 11:59 AM
basal_lobe
Scooby Regular

I can only comment on the older style (upto V reg) Passats. I had 8 of these cars (estate/saloon) of varying trim levels. I did in excess of 70,000 miles so I have a little experience of them.

The Turbo charged petrol 150BHP petrol estate I did over 20,000 miles in. This was a sport trim model with the excellent climatronic air con. I cannot praise the car highly enough. Top build quality and reasonably quick once you were under way. Turbo lag was evident particularly as you came off roundabouts- diesel vans would be out accelerating me for the first second or so! Estate body extremly practical

The non-turbo 1.8 20V I had in saloon/estate forms and was I have to say very,very slow. It also featured worse fuel economy than the turbo as you had to thrash the pants of it to make any headway. Saloon boot apeture was way too restrictive as others have said. It ruined the practicality of the car- it has an enormous boot but you can't fit anything in it!

Early 110 diesel- just too slow I'm afraid although a better bet than the n/a 1.8 20

130BHP diesel saloon/estate- better than the 1.8 20V non-turbo. Slower and less fun than my factory sport suspension turbo estate.
Good fuel economy and a decent secondhand buy. This model will hold its value better than any other.

A couple of points I would add- the immobiliser/alarm key seemed very succeptable to being fried by E/M radiation. This happened on 3 different cars in different locations (with the integrated flick knife style key/alarm) leaving me stranded. Also a few of my cars had weird build problems despite being otherwise exceptionally good quality- the side repeaters dropped out on 2 cars. The power steering started to fail on one and totally failed on another )sounded like a parrot! arrrk)

All the cars suffered from pronounced tramlining on unfavourable surfaces- especially at motorway speeds

All in all top cars- my favourite features were the comfort, purple instruments and good quality gamma radio.

A cut above the usual fleet fodder but nowhere near as good fun to drive as a Mondeo of similar vintage. Also you don't get the biro holder in a passat unlike a mondeo!