Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

About to buy a Civic 1.8VTI Aerodeck - Any thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 22 January 2003, 09:15 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Due to an imminant baby the Puma is not big enough for us.

Fancy another Scoob but running costs etc prohibit for the next year(ish)

Saw a Civic 1.8 VTI Aerodeck (estate) on a forecout the other day, Had a 1.6VTI a while back and eally liked it, thinking hard about buying this one.

Anybody got any thoughts or comments?

Paul
Old 22 January 2003, 09:31 AM
Reffro
Scooby Regular

Comfy, well equipped and better looking than the equivalents.

Minus points include the interior, as the dash is looking a bit dated now, but its well screwed together, and well equipped. The handling won't set your world on fire after a Puma, but the ride is excellent, it will roll a bit, but they grip very well, and there's no nasty vices.

Plus points nearly all centre on the engine, reliable, economical and flexible. Its much better than a 1.6 VTi engine, having good midrange pull, and of course the VTEC rush at the top end, its highly addictive. Equipment levels are excellent to with all electrics, air-con, half leather seats etc etc. I always liked the roof mounted speakers in the rear, as you can pile high with gear and still hear them.

Overall I like them, just for some they are a bit fuddy duddy, best thing is they are also a great Q-car, as it will out pace most of the boy racers.

[Edited by Reffro - 1/22/2003 9:33:17 AM]
Old 22 January 2003, 10:17 AM
Dunk
Scooby Regular

I used to have a 1.6vti saloon which was a excellent, & thought I wanted a 1.8vti until I drove it and found it disappointing. It felt slower than the 1.6 & had certainly lost any of the nimbleness the smaller car has. I would probably go for a A4 avant either the 1.8T or tdi form, which would have the much needed torque in an estate. (added to easy chipability !)

D
Old 22 January 2003, 10:29 AM
glen4
Scooby Regular

My Dad's got the Civic 1.8 Vti 5 door, and while it is screwed together well it lacks any real torque (bear in mind I'm used to a scoob). You really do need to rev it's nuts off to get it to go, but with 170 ish brake it is a fairly quick car. Fuel consumption is not that fantastic either (highish '20s), even how he drives the car (pretty steady). Servicing is cheap compared to Subaruand you can buy one for not much money.
Old 22 January 2003, 10:49 AM
druddle
Scooby Regular

I had a 5 dr VTi-S 1.8 for 3 years before the Clio (and the '01).

Engine was bulletproof, considering the abuse I gave it. Yes you need to rev it but thats part of the fun, and it is a VTEC so whaddaya expect !!!! Dash was a bit dated, as mentioned before, mine used to eat front tyres and brake pads (not my driving, honest) and it was quick enough to hold its own with BMW drivers who thought it was a Rover !!!

Lift-off oversteer was a bit scary on it, but i guess the Aerodeck will be a bit different.

Dave
Old 22 January 2003, 10:56 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Thanks chaps

I drove the car for around 30 miles or so and quite liked it. The main thing is i recon it is a lot of car for the money and an idea Q car. This is a Nov 98, Has 1/2 leather, all the electric toys, A/C, etc. It has done 40K 1 owner full Honda History and looks and feels like new. The car is up for £ 6500.00 i have negociated down to 6200.00 from a dealer with 6 months tax and 1 years warranty so i recon this is a pretty cheap car.

Agreed itr did not feel as quick as the 1.6 but the engine still feels tight, my last Civic did not start to really go until i had put 30K of pretty had miles on it. I recon it will be good for a few years being Honda the engineering is supperb. I used to do a fair bit of event work for Honda Cars UK and remember having a long conversation with the UK Technical Director re the VTEC engine and he said that they are good for 200K without any work requred and they get more economical and devleop more power the more miles you put on them. Also the unit is over engineered so you might as well thrasgh the b0llox off of it as it will take as much as you can give as long as you get it serviced regularly.