Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Astra GTE / Cave SRi breakers?

Search this Thread

Old 30 December 2002, 02:17 PM
JonW
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm looking for some of the fuel injection parts from an early vauxhall 1.8 engine fitted to Astra GTE or SRI or Cav CDi / GLSi / SRI etc from around 1985 to 90, anyone know where I might be able to get these, or got any bits knocking around in their garage and want rid?

Jon.
Old 30 December 2002, 02:20 PM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
griffin auto salvage in leeds
dixon auto spares in leeds.

David
Old 30 December 2002, 02:32 PM
JonW
Scooby Regular

David, cheers for info I'll give em a bell and see what theyve got, cheers, Jon.
Old 30 December 2002, 03:27 PM
MGJohn
Scooby Regular

If not fixed up already there are several breakers locally (Chelt-Glos) who can help, one who always has a few mid-80s EFi Vauxhalls available for "remove it yourself" parts and not expensive either.
Old 31 December 2002, 02:49 PM
JonW
Scooby Regular

Cool, can you tell me where and I'll pop along with me bag o tools.... much better to go along myself and have a rummage!

Jon.
Old 31 December 2002, 05:59 PM
Huxley
Scooby Regular

Wink

If your quick before the council team dispose of it there is a dumped Cav SRi 130 on the A4 between Reading and Newbury been there for 3 weeks+ looks in good nick as well

Huxley
Old 31 December 2002, 11:22 PM
MGJohn
Scooby Regular

JonW,

Try Harry Buckland's Car Breakers on the Old Cheltenham-Gloucester Road, about third a mile from the Cheltenham end of the Golden Valley By Pass Roundabout (access via A40 Junction with the nearby M5). Generous 40 mins from Swindon on that fine new A417 ....

This is a fairly spacious outfit with a rapid turnover of cars of all kinds. They've usually got something there from most current manufacturers as well as real oldies. There were three Subarus last time I checked in for some MG bits .... some stolen recovered with lots of useful stuff. Many older (mid-1980s - early 90s) often tidy cars taken in part exchange by local dealers which because of these cars' ages, dealers cant earn much from so send them off to the breakers. Very wasteful but few people want older cars now. Some even with FSH and current MoT in glove box. Mainly commomer Sierra/Golf/Cavalier/Rover/VW/BMW/Mercs etc near life expired MoT failure type cars nobody wants anymore but are a very useful source of spares at a fraction of new prices. Other advantages; cars are in neat rows and not stacked. Best of all, you remove the parts yourself which I personally prefer and thus costs are much lower than "off the shelf" used spares outfits Used them since I was a boy many moons ago and there's always loads of EFi Vauxhalls to choose from so you should be OK there. It will be mucky following these weeks of near incessant rain though ...

Needing a replacement alternator for my MG, I lifted a bonnet there to find a shiny nearly new one on a breaker car ..... 12 quid remove it yourself ... ten minute job. Some of the stuff that goes straight in the crusher would make an enthusiast weep.
Old 01 January 2003, 11:18 PM
Carl Davey
Scooby Regular

Some Vauxhall Breakers Links

HTH

Edited due to having a 'blonde' moment, repeatedly.

[Edited by Carl Davey - 1/1/2003 11:20:03 PM]

[Edited by Carl Davey - 1/1/2003 11:20:59 PM]

[Edited by Carl Davey - 1/1/2003 11:25:27 PM]
Old 02 January 2003, 03:43 PM
JonW
Scooby Regular

Carl, that link's dead, cheers for trying tho.

John, will nip up to that breakers on Sat and have a good hunt round. Do you go back and ask how much bits will be before you start removing or do you just get stuck in and then pay on exit?

Yard sounds just like Car Transplants near Nantwich where I cut my teeth (and skinned my knuckles) as a yoof many years back keeping my bangers on the road!

Cheers for all your help! Jon.
Old 02 January 2003, 06:11 PM
Carl Davey
Scooby Regular

D'oh! Think the threads been deleted.
Old 02 January 2003, 06:31 PM
MGJohn
Scooby Regular

JonW WROTE:

>>Do you go back and ask how much bits will be before you start removing or do you just get stuck in and then pay on exit?<<

Over the years I've found their prices so reasonable so I often do both with confidence. As it will be your first visit, suggest you ask at the office (near the car park as you drive in) before removing any bits. That will give you a reliable price guide. Give you an idea, I removed a complete OHC unleaded cylinder head assembly, including manifolds, injectors, rail, engine wiring loom and ECU from a lowish mileage MG and the cost was a mere 25 quid for that lot A complete Rover T16 turbo engine and gearbox: 120 quid (145,000 miler but still plenty of life for a track project car). Prices may be a bit higher if they're not having a good day.... Subaru bits maybe a bit more .... Even so, always excellent value and will replace/refund items if subsequently not up to scratch (rarely needed as I always personally remove and double check stuff I get first). I guess a set of Vauxhall EFi injectors and rail would be about a tenner maybe less. All these prices are "remove it yourself". It's a popular place even on a dismal rainy winter Saturday (car park often full then).... good luck with your search.

MGJohn
Old 03 January 2003, 04:15 PM
JonW
Scooby Regular

cheers John, I'm up there tomorrow so i'll let you know how I get on!

blimey the prices you quoted are well cheap... we like! :-)

Cheers again for your help, Jon.
Old 07 January 2003, 01:27 PM
JonW
Scooby Regular

Update!

Cheers for all your help... but sadly Harry Buckland didnt have any cars that fitted the bill. Interesting yard tho, but ddint see any Scoobys or anything particularly modern either... they were busy and doing a roaring trade!

Nipped home to Swi and tried a place that used to be a Vauxhall breaker 10years back, now long gone but there was another small breakers nearby, he didnt have any either... it was starting to click that these early 80's Vauxhalls were gonna be hard to find, most are either cherished or rotted away long ago!

He sent to another place and he sent me to another place... in the middle of nowhere. And yep, right at the back, in the 'keeper' section was a B reg Cavalier CDi with what I needed! Eureka! They also had a pretty much complete 16v Golf so I nabbed the dizzy and now have a working Golf again... how happy am I!

So 110 miles or driving about and I eventually found these bits 5mins from home... always the way, but still a nice jaunt on a Sat! :-)

Cheers for your help again guys, Jon.