The Elise - one strong little car

Search this Thread

Old 29 November 2002, 12:55 AM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Hi all,

Just thought you'd like to know just how strong the Lotus Elise really is. Last night I was travelling on a country road when on rounding a right hand bend I was confromted with a white car in the middle of the road skidding out of control. He hit the back of my Elise and put me into a spin that catapaulted me into a stone wall whereupon I spun 4 times against the wall before coming to rest in the wall at right angles to the road.

Only one wheel was left on the car, the whole front was ripped off, the rear suspension collapsed and one of the wheels travelled 150 yards further up the road. I was able to get out by opening the door and was utterly unharmed. Both doors still operated on the car even though most of the front and back of the vehicle were missing.

Now that is one strong car.

BTW the other driver never even stopped - ahhhhhh!

Well I guess that's the end of my love affair with the Elise - the wife is just too scared to let me have another one (for the time being anyway) so it's back to Scoobyville I think.

Regards,

ChrisB
Old 29 November 2002, 09:44 AM
zoog
Scooby Regular

but your wife should WANT you to have another if it has proved itself so strong - i cant figure it out?

the crash was no fault of the type of car you were in, the car in fact saved you by the sound of it.
Old 29 November 2002, 09:47 AM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Probably get flamed for asking, but did you get any pics?
Old 29 November 2002, 12:19 PM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

My wife is of the opinion they spin too easily - don't be too hard on her - she drives a Scoob!!

Pics - no flames here - I didn't get any at the scene as I had no camera, but I'm going to try and get down the salvage yard before I take off for the States tomorrow - if I get some I'll post them up for you.

Regards,

tiggers
Old 30 November 2002, 07:55 PM
Mega
Scooby Regular

Hi Tiggers
Very sorry to hear about your RTA. Pleased that both your wife and your self are ok. I am afraid that there is a lot of this going on, just last week 2 lads in a builders van jumped a set of lights.

Right into the path of a BMW in front of me, nasty i only just pulled up in time. The Woman was ok but badly shaken the front of the BMW was crushed. Any way i hope you still intend to finish the hard top project.
Cheers
Mike