Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

People who know about RX-7's, its an auto type-r? also need you suggestions...

Search this Thread

Old 18 November 2002, 08:56 AM
SideShowBob
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had a look at a lovely rx-7 yesterday, and its an automatic (which of course I didnt find out till after id driven all the way to the dealers, thought as a Type-R it would be manual?)

It has the twin turbo engine, and all the bits, really kitted out, its a '92 with 56k miles on the clock, and externally and internally in very nice condition.

With it being an auto, is it a no go zone? should I hold out and find a similar condition manual? Does anyone have accurate performance comparisons between manulas and autos?

My other concern is, well, I gave the old man a ring, who knows his stuff, and he said dont touch a ten year old rotary car at all!! and that if rotary was a good idea, more manufacturers would have taken it up.
I guess I have to agree, but cant shake this "need" for a 3rd gen, they look sooooo good. Just how bad is the fuel efficiency? against say an Impreza Type-RA, and is reliability/running costs an absolute nightmare?

Now, the suggestions bit. Facing reality, I may not have the money needed to run a RX-7 as an only car, but seriously cant think of anything else that combines the looks and performance at a similar price (£12k and under)
Any suggestions? I dont like Supra's, Impreza's are nice, but again, dont look like a Supercar like the RX-7 manages too, I prefer the sporty graceful lines.

Thats it, I tried getting onto the RX-7 boards, but am awaiting confirmation e-mails etc, and I really want to get an idea in my mind as soon as poss of what I want to aim for, and whats a realistic mega daily driver sports car (currently have an Integra Type-R, which I love, but am looking for a change perhaps)

Cheers

[Edited by SideShowBob - 11/18/2002 9:00:22 AM]
Old 18 November 2002, 11:52 AM
uxg
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you know about the need for RX-7 rotary engines to be rebuilt at around 60K miles at considerable cost. I also think they are stunning looking cars but I wouldn't buy one at 56K which hasn't had the rebuild done.