Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

BMW F10 M5 owners???

Search this Thread

Old 23 April 2016, 01:15 PM
B0DSKI
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question BMW F10 M5 owners???

Here I go again. Another car that's grabbed mt attention.

Now avb under £30k so within my budget.

Anybody had one or any experience of them?
Old 24 April 2016, 11:40 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

would have though its gonna be the dogs that are under that
Old 25 April 2016, 08:44 AM
BBB3
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I was looking at them, i found a few but all seem to be high mileage and someone said there is no cheap repairs

I'm gonna keep my facelift C63.
Old 25 April 2016, 08:44 AM
B0DSKI
Scooby Regular

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2012-BMW-M...kAAOSwMORW8VuH

I'd be willing to find another £2k
Old 25 April 2016, 08:45 AM
B0DSKI
Scooby Regular

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2012-BMW-M...kAAOSwBnVW-p3~
Old 25 April 2016, 09:07 AM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

White one does look nice, cant really comment on the pros and cons but did beat one in my old type r lol
Old 25 April 2016, 12:21 PM
BBB3
Scooby Regular

blue looks a bit bland, white looks nice.

every car has its pro's and con's

if you want one go treat your self
Old 25 April 2016, 04:08 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

I love the new f10 shape, I keep tinkering for a non m5 version for a family car but the lack of 4wd puts me off and can't afford one anyway lol.
But beautiful cars IMO.
Old 25 April 2016, 10:18 PM
ScottishRayman
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by B0DSKI
Here I go again. Another car that's grabbed mt attention.

Now avb under £30k so within my budget.

Anybody had one or any experience of them?
Been looking at the option for while now, repair costs can be really high as you'd expect with such a top end machine so good idea to get one with FBMWSH and either continue the warranty or get new one in place (if you do always pay monthly rather than annually as cost won't increase). The BMW warranty is very good and fixed there and then for most issues - costs approx £100/month but better than getting hit with hefty bill out the blue.

Pretty small tank for such a gas guzzler, and expect low mpg anytime your on the pedal hard.......but you don't exactly buy an M5 to worry about the mpg.

Sound epic when you give it some and upgraded exhaust once funds allow defo enhances it - but if on warranty check with your dealer as a good few have been stung with non pay outs if not standard exhaust in place (even though some dealers tell you it will be fine).

They can obviously shift but how often will you really get to see the high end of the rev range as you'll either run out of road or realise your in mega danger territory with PC Plod if caught trying it out.

I was surprised how cheap the insurance turns out, actually cheaper than my modified Hatch

A few M5 forums complaining that clutch/flywheel needs done at 40k on many of them, which seems pretty poor coming from such a high profile car from BMW.......wonder if these are the ones that have seen 'launch control' too often
Old 26 April 2016, 09:15 AM
trails
Scooby Regular

Received 56 Likes on 42 Posts

M part tax is mega Boyd, I looked at these costs whilst considering an E9x M3...you should see the cost of the CSL parts one of my friends is having to fork out for
Old 26 April 2016, 01:55 PM
SPEN555
Scooby Regular

I looked at these last year but could not cope with £2.5k for front disks and pads. There does not seem to be any aftermarket alternatives either so it's bend over and take it from the dealer.

Also, engine has something like 8-10 radiators but they do appear to be a robust car.

I sat inside one with a view to test driving but it just left me flat as I could not see it as an £80k car. I did not want to take it out for fear of it changing my mind
Old 26 April 2016, 03:07 PM
BBB3
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SPEN555
I looked at these last year but could not cope with £2.5k for front disks and pads. There does not seem to be any aftermarket alternatives either so it's bend over and take it from the dealer.

Also, engine has something like 8-10 radiators but they do appear to be a robust car.

I sat inside one with a view to test driving but it just left me flat as I could not see it as an £80k car. I did not want to take it out for fear of it changing my mind
14 so i heard
Old 26 April 2016, 03:09 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

With an output of 412kW / 560 HP, the new BMW M5 has power to spare and offers excellent driving performance. However, this enormous output creates the same level of combustion heat in all high-performance engines. In the case of the Formula 1 engine, the coolers are housed in an exposed position in the side boxes – a different solution needs to be found in the case of a sports limousine. For the new BMW M5 we have developed a tailor-made cooling package that covers all our requirements to perfection. A total of 10 coolers ensure that the temperature is kept just right, while also supporting the spontaneous response of the V8 engine.

The principle of direct or indirect charged air cooling applied to turbocharged engines. Air-to-air heat exchangers are used in the case of direct turbocharged cooling, which would have required much longer paths to the front of the car for the charged air with a lot of dead volume in our case. That’s why we use an air-water heat exchanger placed between the compressor and the intake manifold for every turbo charger. The heat generated while compressing the air is fed to three water-air coolers in the front of the car by means of the medium of water. The charge air thus takes the shortest path with a large diameter from the compressor via the charge air cooler directly to the intake channel. This improves the engine response. We have an air-water cooler and a total of three water-air heat exchangers for each cylinder bank: one radiator in the wheel arch to the left and right and one in front of the main heat exchanger. This means that a total of five coolers with their own reservoir and 2 electrically powered water pumps are used to cool the charge air.

In addition, there is the radiator for the main cooling circuit (high temperature circuit), familiar from every car. In the classic configuration, additional coolers are provided for the engine and gearbox oil and the steering hydraulics. Finally there is the condenser for the air-conditioning system. That makes ten coolers in all.
The rear axle differential has an aluminium oil tray with cooling fins so that a separate radiator is not required there. A smaller offset in the differential reduces friction and therefore the build-up of heat. Less friction means less fuel consumption here too.
Old 27 April 2016, 07:55 AM
B0DSKI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by banny sti
With an output of 412kW / 560 HP, the new BMW M5 has power to spare and offers excellent driving performance. However, this enormous output creates the same level of combustion heat in all high-performance engines. In the case of the Formula 1 engine, the coolers are housed in an exposed position in the side boxes – a different solution needs to be found in the case of a sports limousine. For the new BMW M5 we have developed a tailor-made cooling package that covers all our requirements to perfection. A total of 10 coolers ensure that the temperature is kept just right, while also supporting the spontaneous response of the V8 engine.

The principle of direct or indirect charged air cooling applied to turbocharged engines. Air-to-air heat exchangers are used in the case of direct turbocharged cooling, which would have required much longer paths to the front of the car for the charged air with a lot of dead volume in our case. That’s why we use an air-water heat exchanger placed between the compressor and the intake manifold for every turbo charger. The heat generated while compressing the air is fed to three water-air coolers in the front of the car by means of the medium of water. The charge air thus takes the shortest path with a large diameter from the compressor via the charge air cooler directly to the intake channel. This improves the engine response. We have an air-water cooler and a total of three water-air heat exchangers for each cylinder bank: one radiator in the wheel arch to the left and right and one in front of the main heat exchanger. This means that a total of five coolers with their own reservoir and 2 electrically powered water pumps are used to cool the charge air.

In addition, there is the radiator for the main cooling circuit (high temperature circuit), familiar from every car. In the classic configuration, additional coolers are provided for the engine and gearbox oil and the steering hydraulics. Finally there is the condenser for the air-conditioning system. That makes ten coolers in all.
The rear axle differential has an aluminium oil tray with cooling fins so that a separate radiator is not required there. A smaller offset in the differential reduces friction and therefore the build-up of heat. Less friction means less fuel consumption here too.

I'm hoping you found that somewhere Banny and didn't have it inside your head
Old 27 April 2016, 02:21 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

lol located it on the M forum, as its good to keep abreast of roadkill you may have to deal with
Old 27 April 2016, 04:27 PM
B0DSKI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by banny sti
lol located it on the M forum, as its good to keep abreast of roadkill you may have to deal with
Hit something in one of them you're bound to break something by the sounds of it
Old 28 April 2016, 06:52 AM
lozgti1
Scooby Regular

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by B0DSKI
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2012-BMW-M...kAAOSwMORW8VuH

I'd be willing to find another £2k
'V8 SWAG' lol lovely car

I like the blue! Subtle is good.I hope to goodness this white obsession wears off.Once upon a time you couldn't give a white car away
Old 28 April 2016, 07:54 AM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

I have an F10 530D... lovely car, but quite big and heavy, and not the most obvious starting point for a properly capable performance car IMHO. For all its technology, the M5 isn't any smaller or lighter.

If you're doing a lot of motorway journeys, then any F10 will serve you well. For B-road fun, I'd be looking for something with a lot less mass.