Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

C63S

Search this Thread

Old 22 April 2015, 09:12 AM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default C63S

Man watched Chris Harris review, car looked a bit pants but I've configured one and made it look nice, What a monster

want 1 lol
Old 22 April 2015, 09:56 AM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

ok just had a mad moment and spoke to dealer LOL.

E63
C63
C63S

He did mention the CLS 400 which to be honest isn't half bad for Luxury however i need speed, the E63 is tempting

anyone know how the E63 5.5 Bi Turbo differs from the C63 5.5 Bi Turbo ? or doesn't it
Old 22 April 2015, 01:08 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mercedes model line ups are complicated as hell.

Can't you get C65 too?
Old 22 April 2015, 01:25 PM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

No don't think so

C400 4wd 350bhp. Audi S4 competitor
C63
C63s

All petrol
Old 16 May 2015, 07:25 AM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd love a C63s wagon if they brought the 4wd version over here. If they can make the c400 in 4wd I don't understand why they can't do the same for the c63s, a real shame.

I always like to have a car in mind to lust after but there just isn't one that can tick all my boxes ie

1) 4 doors, 4 seats and a big boot or estate.

2) Sweet engine, after previously owning a V10 M5 and now a V8 C63 AMG I've been spoiled.

3) 4wd

4) Fun to drive.
Old 16 May 2015, 08:04 AM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

If I was in your boat ding which I kinda am I want that big car fast as hell fix. I'm looking at these

c400
CLS 400 however not 4wd the C is
S4 or S8. Not too sure I want S8 being diesel though as I potter.
s6 sweet spot.

Porsche Cayenne S/GTS or McCann turbo...

Not much else I fancy, I won't pay 72 k for the C63S ID have to buy a Porche GT4.
Old 16 May 2015, 09:08 AM
john banks
Scooby Regular

S8 is petrol. A8 4.2 twin turbo is diesel.

I think they have a lovely blend of refinement, V8 rumble when requested, ride and handling.

My ideal might be an RS4 or C63 with AWD and 4.0 V8 twin turbo but I need to save money on cars for a while.

Trending Topics

Old 16 May 2015, 09:29 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dingdongler
I'd love a C63s wagon if they brought the 4wd version over here. If they can make the c400 in 4wd I don't understand why they can't do the same for the c63s, a real shame.

I always like to have a car in mind to lust after but there just isn't one that can tick all my boxes ie

1) 4 doors, 4 seats and a big boot or estate.

2) Sweet engine, after previously owning a V10 M5 and now a V8 C63 AMG I've been spoiled.

3) 4wd

4) Fun to drive.
How is the Merc? Not seen you mention it since getting it.

RS6 any good to you?
The new C63 does look like a brilliant car and unlike the M3/4, comes as an estate.

I can't afford one (well I can but would immediately be divorced) and the fuel range is still too small but it otherwise looks great.
Old 16 May 2015, 11:14 AM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

When he's looking at the engine and exhaust, awesome.

I think it looks awful from the outside though, I really think they've ballsed up the new C class. The old C63 looks a lot better. The front is nearly there, it's just that rear end. Then big slabs of chrome trim, very odd. And the wheels, what the hell are they all about?!

But, what a piece of engineering though.
Old 16 May 2015, 11:43 AM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Ted, I know I'd get bored of the c400 type of car pretty quick, not enough power and it won't have the super saloon level suspension, brakes etc. I've learned from bitter (expensive) experience that only cars of the AMG, M power, RS ilk will float my boat.

Cayenne turbo is an interesting suggestion, I've never driven one but at over two tonnes I wonder how much fun you can have in it.

Mattee, really like the AMG. The engine is glorious, so much poke and such a lovely noise. Steering good as is the suspension. Brakes could be better.

The most frustrating thing is pulling out of junctions in the wet. Even at low throttle the wheels spin and I struggle to make progress. Perhaps I need some fresh tyres but they are still legal at present.

I'd love this car with 4wd, it would mean I could make more rapid and confident progress in the wet.
Old 16 May 2015, 11:45 AM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jameswrx
When he's looking at the engine and exhaust, awesome.

I think it looks awful from the outside though, I really think they've ballsed up the new C class. The old C63 looks a lot better. The front is nearly there, it's just that rear end. Then big slabs of chrome trim, very odd. And the wheels, what the hell are they all about?!

But, what a piece of engineering though.

I've got the 'old one' James not the current one. And I agree it looks better.
Old 16 May 2015, 06:31 PM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by john banks
S8 is petrol. A8 4.2 twin turbo is diesel.

I think they have a lovely blend of refinement, V8 rumble when requested, ride and handling.

My ideal might be an RS4 or C63 with AWD and 4.0 V8 twin turbo but I need to save money on cars for a while.
Ahh ok

The new C63 is you spec it there's an option to add edition one to it, that I think makes it looks rather nice...
Old 16 May 2015, 09:04 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

I spoke to someone who had a c63 black and he said it was quick but useless in the bends, I asked how safe it was over 100mph on motorway bends and he said "that's when I wish I was in my M3". What's the point of having a fast car that will kill you if you push it a little in a bend.
Old 17 May 2015, 01:35 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevebt
I spoke to someone who had a c63 black and he said it was quick but useless in the bends, I asked how safe it was over 100mph on motorway bends and he said "that's when I wish I was in my M3". What's the point of having a fast car that will kill you if you push it a little in a bend.
I have spoken with three C63 Black Series owners and they all say what a great car it is .... no problem in the bends.... think some people talk sh1te about these sort of cars frankly. An M3, as good as it is, can't hold a candle to a C63 Black!
Old 17 May 2015, 10:25 AM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

Ted, I know I'd get bored of the c400 type of car pretty quick, not enough power and it won't have the super saloon level suspension, brakes etc. I've learned from bitter (expensive) experience that only cars of the AMG, M power, RS ilk will float my boat.

Cayenne turbo is an interesting suggestion, I've never driven one but at over two tonnes I wonder how much fun you can have in it.

Mattee, really like the AMG. The engine is glorious, so much poke and such a lovely noise. Steering good as is the suspension. Brakes could be better.

The most frustrating thing is pulling out of junctions in the wet. Even at low throttle the wheels spin and I struggle to make progress. Perhaps I need some fresh tyres but they are still legal at present.

I'd love this car with 4wd, it would mean I could make more rapid and confident progress in the wet.
I imagine it's hell dong, my E350 was the brand new one and it has quite large tyres on the rears, but even with it running 260bhp and very Torquey it's was like yours bab in the wet. Lovely car though....

Such a shame it's 70k next year we should be able to get em for 50s maybe... But it's RS6 country is that... And that's a beast
Old 17 May 2015, 10:42 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Ted; was it diesel? I think the power delivery of top end diesels is worse with RWD than petrols.
Having said that, I do need to take care with a "mere" 320bhp and RWD but my torque is 350ish lbs-ft rather than the 450++ of a V8 Merc or big diesel.
Old 17 May 2015, 11:08 AM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevebt

Steve, I don't think a M3 would have any advantage as it is also rwd. Especially true since have gone over to turbos and now actually have some torque to deal with.
Old 17 May 2015, 11:22 AM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Littleted
I imagine it's hell dong, my E350 was the brand new one and it has quite large tyres on the rears, but even with it running 260bhp and very Torquey it's was like yours bab in the wet. Lovely car though....

Such a shame it's 70k next year we should be able to get em for 50s maybe... But it's RS6 country is that... And that's a beast

No way I would pay £70k and buy new, I'd wait a year or so and hope to get one for £50k. But the thing is, imho, a 500bhp saloon needs 4wd. Check out youtube vids of the 4wd e63 amg s model, 0-60 in 3.8 secs!!
If you watch drag vids of the rs7 against 2wd e63, M5 etc the rs7 absolutely mullers them off the line such that the others never catch up. I know it's not all about drag races but it's nice to know you can get off the line without being embarrassed by hot hatches.

I've never test driven a rs6 because I've always been put off by the reviews ie poor steering feel, understeer, harsh suspension etc. Perhaps I should go and drive one.
Old 17 May 2015, 02:43 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Steve, I don't think a M3 would have any advantage as it is also rwd. Especially true since have gone over to turbos and now actually have some torque to deal with.
It seems to struggle with the extra torque.
Old 17 May 2015, 03:58 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

No way I would pay £70k and buy new, I'd wait a year or so and hope to get one for £50k. But the thing is, imho, a 500bhp saloon needs 4wd. Check out youtube vids of the 4wd e63 amg s model, 0-60 in 3.8 secs!!
If you watch drag vids of the rs7 against 2wd e63, M5 etc the rs7 absolutely mullers them off the line such that the others never catch up. I know it's not all about drag races but it's nice to know you can get off the line without being embarrassed by hot hatches.

I've never test driven a rs6 because I've always been put off by the reviews ie poor steering feel, understeer, harsh suspension etc. Perhaps I should go and drive one.
So they make a 4wd version for other markets? Why would the UK not get 4wd. All the poor Northerners sliding around in their fancy RWD cars
Old 17 May 2015, 06:09 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

The M3 is $hit in the wet.

The Exige, with only 345bhp and open diff is the complete opposite.
Old 17 May 2015, 08:39 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by zip106

Zip, how are you finding the M3 in general? It seems to have mixed reviews ie very 'effective' but not very 'exciting'. Any truth in that or is it just journos being journos?
Old 17 May 2015, 09:41 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

It's not bad - reminds me of the 996 turbo in some respects. (Capable but not overly exciting, but we didn't get it for that...)

The ride is quite harsh even in comfort mode, and really awful in the back.
Quite a lot of road noise too.

The engine noise is a contentious issue with some people - I honestly don't see (or hear) the problem. You get used to it, and it seems with more miles it gets better.
I can't compare it to the V8 M3, so for me, it's fine.

The steering - I'm not overly impressed by it, no matter what mode it's in.
I guess that's just the problem with electric stuff... thank goodness for Lotus
I drove it to Surrey and back via motorways and A roads and found it quite an enjoyable experience.
The seats are very comfy, the DCT box is excellent and standard kit levels are good.

As I said above - in the wet it can be a bit annoying.
But give it a dry bit of warm Tarmac as we've had recently, bloody hell it shifts, goes round corners incredibly well and handles great.

With regards to the journo reviews - I think it's a car you need to live with for some time to get the best from it.

I'm not so rapt with it as to consider having another though, as I rather like the idea of the C63 - however, a coupe is no good to us and I can't quite get to like the rear of the new car.

Last edited by zip106; 17 May 2015 at 09:45 PM.
Old 18 May 2015, 07:41 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by zip106

Fun in the wet then? I do like these a lot.
Ours isn't in its element in the wet but it's okay if you are careful. Comfy enough too.
Old 18 May 2015, 09:10 AM
zip106
Scooby Regular

It *can* be fun in the wet, but I really meant that there's nowhere near the same issues getting the power down as there is in the M3 on damp roads.

But then again, the M has a fair bit more torque and power (but the Lotus has a bit of weight over the driven wheels which must help).
Old 18 May 2015, 10:50 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

I think BMWs 50/50 weight thing rather hinders traction above a certain amount of power and torque.
Old 18 May 2015, 03:30 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Regarding the M3.. They look a bit of a handful when they try and lay the power down in the first couple of gears. I saw a video a while back where a chap in the US pootles off and nails it, the back looks to squat really unevenly and it induces a total sideways snap when he's set off in a straight line (in the dry!) I thought it was bad luck until I saw a similar occurrence in another video. Looks dangerous.
Old 18 May 2015, 03:40 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

I'm not sure what's happened to the M3/4 but they have definitely picked up a bit of a bad rep for excessive wheel- spinning. Other super saloons seem fine, even BMWs own like the F10 M5.
Old 18 May 2015, 04:25 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

Starting off in manual 2nd gear helps a bit, but it's not ideal all the time!

I've nailed it a few times from standstill, and the TC seems to keep the car in a pretty straight line - eventually
Old 18 May 2015, 08:08 PM
Boyakasha
Scooby Regular

Do you guys realise that they will be bringing out a 4WD C63 mid 2016?

Quick Reply: C63S