Northern (England) Northern Meetings & Events

Is this a bad problem??

Search this Thread

Old 10 December 2007, 11:39 PM
flashgordon666
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this a bad problem??

Hey as some of you know im looking for a subaru and test drove one today.

The car seemed in mint condition no rust only bit on cam and radiator cover.

Anyhow get to the point, car didnt start needed a jump seems like every subaru ive seen needs a jump (maybe this is due to year).

When the car was idling both [check engine] and [abs] light stayed on. The guy said cos the battarys low it will go when running. After the test run when i restarted the car, ABS light did go off. But the check engine light stayed but for some werid resaon when you give it gas or riding the [check engine] light goes off. Also after the 5mins ride opened up the bonnet and a small burning smell what could tht possiable be? I checked the oil seemed very low and there was some oil around the battery tray.

1. how come??
2. is this a problem if so what is it?
Tex my m8 and he said could be idle or choke problem or a subaru garage needs to reset it. When I looked at the service history seven years ago it failed its idle test.

3. Also if its going through an MOT would they sort this all out?
4 .Also i was suprised they give 12month MOT is it law now that they have to give 12month MOT. think ive asked enough thanks
Old 11 December 2007, 09:41 AM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Where are you buying from matey?

seriosuly like i said before - consider buying privately, your not covered as much as you think with a dealer - i am biased though. I bought mine and my engine let go 2 weeks outside of the 3 month warranty, remember a Dealer is only obliged to give you three months.

Give us a few more details mate and i'm sure we'll give you a hand. maybe get an expert to go with you, even if it costs you a hundred quid, trust me mate it could save you thousands.
Old 11 December 2007, 03:28 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

if the check engine light is on then it has detected some kind of faulty, walk away, especially with the other things you mention. Unless you klnow what your doing its not worth buying a faulty car to start with, you will regret it. The oil is quite possibly the rocker cover gaskets and these are a weak spot on the classics, and again can cost a 3 figure sum if given to a garage to do.

There are plenty of scoobs out there, just take you will find a good one
Old 11 December 2007, 04:37 PM
flashgordon666
Scooby Regular

yeah i mean its stupied if i do, ill phone him and say ill have it only if he sorts tht out. my mates big into cars and we might go to see it again this weekend and hes coming. but he said theres some kind of problem but your'd have to take it to subaru for them to sort out. from looking at all the service history looks like subarus cost a bit to maintain.
Old 11 December 2007, 08:40 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

there not cheap if things go wrong, but certainly worth it and if looked after are reliable despite what you may read and hear
Old 11 December 2007, 09:05 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Hi mate i'd say 1500-2k a year just for maintanance - having said that a few Smacs lads are a dab hand with a spanner nowadays and could save you a few quid

Its a buyers market out there - if in doubt and i mean the slightest, walk away there are loads out there.
Old 11 December 2007, 10:06 PM
flashgordon666
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Chief
Hi mate i'd say 1500-2k a year just for maintanance
£1,500-£2000 you having a laugh!! is it because the amount of power they output and there 4wd? Tell me in the last year what you had to get done and costs? plz
Old 12 December 2007, 12:09 AM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by flashgordon666
£1,500-£2000 you having a laugh!! is it because the amount of power they output and there 4wd? Tell me in the last year what you had to get done and costs? plz
That is best case mate, i sold mine because it crippled me.

i paid 7k for my car and in 18 months i worked out it was something like 13k in total so 6 grand now that is including a few mods but i did not go daft.

Ok this is roughly what i spent.

Engine rebuild £1700 (extremley cheap - normally 2-3K)

gearbox 5th gear rebuild £600 (this was done cheap)

Re-map £650

Full-decat secondhand - £300

Panel filter - £50

Workto prep for re-map including better plugs. resonator box removal, STI fuel pump and high quality oil, £350

Uprated front discs and pads £250

Eibach springs £200 (i'm not sure on this one)

17" Wheels and Toyo tyres £500

2 replacement tyres £170

Clutch issue £50

Service with MOT with new lambda sensor £850 (was originally quoted £1200 but cut a few corners)

So well over 6K - ok i was unlucky and i made a few mods but expect to spend at least a grand a year and thats if nothing goes wrong.

A new clutch is £500 fitted and a cambelt is about the same.

They aint cheap mate - so make sure your fussy as **** and get a good un

btw - i dont regret buying it for a second, best fun i've had with me troosers on
Old 12 December 2007, 08:41 AM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

To be honest general servicing costs arent that much different to a "normal" car

On a yearly basis I would change the plugs once so about £50 but prices vary from £30+

Depending on mileage frequent oil changes, when I had mine I tried to do a change every 3 months (my car was daily driver with over 150k on the clock when sold fully modded as well)

I used to use halfords own semi synth oil at about £15 for 5 lts, so for the year £60 + about £20 for the oil filters as well. Halfords oil meats the specifications for the engine and because I did frequent changes it was fine.

Cambelt change you should be looking at around £300 tops, but you may need a new tensioner when being done so possibly add an extra 100 on top of this. Bearing in mind the cambelt doesnt need to be done on a yearly basis unless you do a lot of mileage.

So to be honest general annual servicing is not to much more than a "normal" car, its only if things go wrong that they become expensive to fix.

I needed a clutch on mine so I got an uprated Exceedy bought and fitted for around the £300 (I luckily live close to a clutch place that have a focus rally car with subaru running gear and they can do there clutch in 20 mins!!)

So dont be put off, the only high cost is the fuel if it is used as a daily runner, thats the reason why I sold mine as due to a change in personnal circumstances I cannot justify the fuels costs at present as it was costing me over £400 per month in fuel bills (daily driver)
Old 12 December 2007, 08:42 AM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

to add, I will hopefully get another one towards the end of next year if circumstances allow