Notices
Northern (England) Northern Meetings & Events

Evo versus Scooby 25th Feb - results?

Search this Thread

Old 28 February 2001, 05:16 PM
steve McCulloch
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What were the results of the 25th feb shooutout at Well Lane, as I have not really seen thsi anywhere?
Old 01 March 2001, 11:05 PM
pwebb
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

steve - you would have loved it - NOT...
there was something seriously wrong (yeah I know what you said after the last jaunt) with the RR kit on the day and a lot of the cars wouldn't sit on the rollers happily - especially the EVOs which were bouncing off and posting rotten figures - until some later re-runs with a load of chaps in the boot/back seats to hold them down.

I had a boosting problem (again) - as did 4 other imprezas - my hunch is that the very small fan at the front (not their usual one) was not shifting enough air and so the cars were running hot - my ecu went into recovery mode and was limiting boost to .5 bar - not cured until it was reset with select monitor the next day (now back to 1.1 - 1.3 bar).

oddly I had the highest Impreza figure on the day - but down to 295 bhp with the same trough in the curve as the previous weekend due to ecu cutting boost. No-one cracked 300 BHP :-( - though the evo 5 and 6s that ran immediately afterwards were posting only 250 - 260 bhp - so you can imagine everyone was muttering under their breath.

the EVO guys were even more disparaging about the Well Lane equip than me (!) and the lancer bbs makes interesting reading!

as predicted the EVOs won the day - not suprising as there were some heavily re-worked cars including one with 370 BHP - so we never really stood a chance but were expecting that anyway.

sadly, I don't think I will be wasting time with another session there - though to be fair to the Well Lane Guys - they were faced with a very short time for each car (24 cars to go through) and some peculiar problems - they did their damndest to get the rollers to work properly but the results were just too far out to be believable - though, laughably, if it had been at powerstation - those are the figures people would have been expecting :-)

- you didn't miss anything mate - and there was more salt on the M60/62 on sunday morning than in your average salt lake!

cheers,

Paul W

[This message has been edited by pwebb (edited 01 March 2001).]
Old 03 March 2001, 09:33 PM
Phil.A
Scooby Regular

I wonder if the Black WRX STI has blown up yet the thing was detting like a good un who set that up ? but ok top bhp.
Old 04 March 2001, 01:14 PM
steve McCulloch
Scooby Regular

Thanks

Could'nt make it and the results on 18th Feb made strange reading - like how can a 22B with a Scoobysport exhaust get more torque than me with extras like

Uprated VF22
Loads of ignition advance
Link ECU

I did have to laugh a bit at the results!
Old 04 March 2001, 08:02 PM
dc911
Scooby Regular

Wink

Steve - why wouldnt a 22b get more torque than your car?
What you think it was strange?
Well I think it was just that your car was a bag of crap running stupid boost!!!
Hope I didnt insult you but just because you got beat doesnt mean that it was strange!!!
Old 07 March 2001, 07:48 PM
steve McCulloch
Scooby Regular

We'll see on the next rolling road day

I understand that a decat exhaust can achieve significant gains. The rolling road output was pants as it showed my peak torque at 5500 revs - but other rollers have put it at 4200 revs - which is more accurate

Re a 22b - I would'nt drive one personally - everyone knows they are inferior to the sti4 door - then again if I had £25k to spare I could snap up one about 1-2 years old and sell it to some sucker for about £40k - you never know!
Old 08 March 2001, 10:29 AM
dc911
Scooby Regular

Question

How do we know which rolling roads are the most accurate?
I've been to Well Lane twice now and have had about the same readings twice.
Is this lucky?
Steve the 22B made peak torque at 3640rpm whats wrong with that?
Oh and can you pick me up a 22B for £25000 as I m sure I would rather pay that for a 22B than £20000 for an Sti 4 with a rusty stainless steel exhaust? Dont you agree?
Old 08 March 2001, 07:49 PM
steve McCulloch
Scooby Regular

dc911

Ok lets not get into a slanging match- it does not really achieve anything

Figures are figures - your peak torque figure actually sounds too low in the rev range?

I agree I would rather have a 22b for £25k than a car with a rusty rear silencer for £20k - I know that this would be a winner on resale!

Re the rusty exhaust this is a product that is being changed to a full Scoobymania system in two weeks time - the previous BPM system is crap - btu sounds very nice

When the car was standard it produced 299bhp and 287lbs torque at Well Lane

The car is significantly faster and has much more power on the road - there is no comparison..... - but the figures dont show this - it would be intersting to put your car up against mine on the track - or better still give you the keys to mine and see what you thought - you might think differently then... maybe not?

Its not running stupid boost - its supposed to hold 1.4 bar - which is about 21 psi (but can peak to 24 psi)which is well within the limits as its got a bigger and modified turbo that can withstand it. Then again a lot of power hikes come from ignition advance - but this has to be controlled with:

1. Water injection, and/or
2. Bigger intercooler, and/or
3. Octane Booster

See you at the next run??
and ignore any previous comments about the 22b - I think its a great car

Steve
Old 10 March 2001, 12:55 AM
dogdogman
Scooby Regular

What is it with you guys and BHP figures? A few extra ponies and some more torque doest make you a better driver .
Old 10 March 2001, 03:28 PM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

Nothing would make Steve a better driver well except earlier braking

[This message has been edited by GaryC (edited 10 March 2001).]
Old 11 March 2001, 01:38 PM
steve McCulloch
Scooby Regular

That brings us on to Grandaddy BMW's with...... rear wheel drive..... erm..... no competition.

Hows the wet weather handling on that Tank of yours

I did once take an M3 for a test drive - but it seemed to be missing about 200bhp

Shame you could'nt keep your Scooby.. I have new job with new car and fuel card - (not saying what.. )- oh go on then - its a crappy Audi Quattro
but am keeping the Scoob as well

Perhaps I get paid too much!

Is ya coming on the 29th, in the....... Beemer?
Old 12 March 2001, 08:45 AM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

Congratulations...?

I bow to your greatness Steve You are right, my 'tank' is no comparison as a *****-out fun-car, but at 30000+ miles per year, build quality/fuel-consumption/equipment/residual-value/comfort/non-unwanted-attention-from-the-boys-in-blue/etc suddenly became more attractive, and there was no comparison Especially as, track aside, I could never 'use' the Subaru without being paranoid about the rear view mirror, and big 'blue' brother watching!

Oh, and the brakes are very good
Old 13 March 2001, 07:20 AM
steve McCulloch
Scooby Regular

Well I'm, glad, that, erm...someone likes the BMW

But yes I get your drift... I get a fuel card so am not that bothered....

So you coming on the 29th?
Old 13 March 2001, 08:42 AM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

'I'm a big boy too' I get my fuel paid for too!!! but I now make a £300/month profit and 'paid for fuel' doesn't improve build-quality/equipment/residual-value/comfort/non-unwanted-attention-from-the-boys-in-blue..... 30000+ per year in a scoob just became too much
Old 13 March 2001, 08:44 AM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

....and should be coming on the 29th, but may be in Barcelona - so would be a bit of a haul to make it back for the morning