Northern (England) Northern Meetings & Events

WYIOC - Forum Closure.

Search this Thread

Old 14 January 2005, 09:35 PM
Alan C
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WYIOC - Forum Closure.

Those on the distribution list will have seen Phil's message about the closure of the WYIOC Forum.

In order to get member's feelings and opinions I thought I'd start this thread, especially as it asks a few questions about the club and its direction.

I agree with Phil that the forum has become underused and that a new direction will freshen things up. SNET is undoubtedly the tool of choice for WYIOC members, regardless of car and regardless of how well the forum site was, its limited user base meant that it would never have compted with this excellent site. Therein lies the crux. It shouldn't. mainly because this is where the majority hang out and the 'scene' here is busy, vibrant & suits most tastes.

So, where next? I think the change in direction for the forum to accept all Japanese marques reflects the WYIOC membership too. But with the addition of Paul's RUF & Ian's CS, Japanese only appears to be limited too.

This natural evolution (pun intended) of the web site, may mean that the WYIOC needs to evolve further and open its doors to all? We obviously do, but the name is limiting the clubs exposure and potentially putting people off?

We thought of a name change last year, but the mood wasn't right. Is it right now? I don't think it will matter to the core membership what the name is...

The club is simply superb by virtue of its members, not the car they drive.

We still need to protect the club from turning into a 'cruise', but that won't be difficult becuase it's plainly obvious that we're not, and any cruise seeking chav, will quickly move on after a visit or not turn up at all after reading this thread in non txt talk and assuming I, and you, are old gits. Which of course we are.

I'm not sure if the new forum/site will be any more effective. Its userbase will be bigger so that's a good thing, but whether that means 'chav' city remains to be seen.

But does the WYIOC as a club need to evolve too?
Old 14 January 2005, 09:50 PM
MadGrip
Scooby Regular

Just my 2 penneth.

The WYIOC Forums will continue to run ,for now, as its on a free host (although I had to buy the URL)

I agree with what Al said about us needing to move on as the owners have various cars now and not just Subaru, but the club name & direction should really be up to the members.

The membership scheme, which seemed a good idea, wasnt IMHO properly initiated as I paid my membership but never got a card or discount at the Bridge, etc...so where did it go ??

I set up the new site on my own initiative, not as just a WYIOC site, but as an alternative for enthusiasts of our cars and which I have paid for out of my own pocket for the space,URL & Bandwidth, not counting the many hours it took me to set it up

As one of the very early founder members, I will continue to turn up at meets and events (to which a lot of effort was put in by Dave) as I believe it is a club full of great people, which I believe I can call friends.

what ever the masses decide then I am open to, but I also think that more input needed from more members, especially those who turn up at meets but apart from that we never hear anything from.

I hope this isnt offensive to anyone and I hope that the WYIOC will continue to grow in what ever form it takes

Phil
Old 18 January 2005, 08:45 AM
Sticky Stuff
Scooby Regular

Location: ShyTot graphics Location: Squires Bar Location: Wakecastlefract

Good points from both of you. I've not got the time to give an in-depth reply at the mo, just typing this to let you know I've been here and seen this. More to come...
Old 18 January 2005, 08:48 AM
Harry_Boy
Scooby Regular

Seen this also Al, Phil, Andy.

I agree that the sensible thing is to migrate the club's focus somewhat, without losing sight of its original objectives. Will post in more detail when more time....
Old 19 January 2005, 02:03 PM
The Fixer
Scooby Regular

If in the near future the WYIOC requires a place to hang out forum wise we can add this into the forthcoming "the Racing line" forum. We would also be willing to hold evening events at the new premises to suit your guys agendas and the pub is just up the road.

Let me have your thoughts
Old 19 January 2005, 03:06 PM
Alan C
Scooby Regular

Conrad.. Thanks for the input..

Can you post 'The racing Lines' URL please? I can't find it on Google..

**Stop press** Found it..

I'll take a look and reply.

Last edited by Alan C; 19 January 2005 at 03:19 PM.
Old 19 January 2005, 03:51 PM
MadGrip
Scooby Regular

theres a banner & a link on my site
Old 19 January 2005, 04:19 PM
Alan C
Scooby Regular

Cheers Phil - found it by searching through SNET... Doh!

Conrad - If you're free on the 27th at 7:30 pop along to the meet at the Trading Post and we can talk over any details...

Al.
Old 19 January 2005, 04:54 PM
mick02wrx
Scooby Regular

Personally i am not too bothered what the club name is as long as we can keep the core group and the events/focus doesnt change, oh and whatever name is decided upon it has enough class or distinction to deter the hundreds of local Mcdonalds ***** from tuning up. I do believe a name change is in order to a) appease certian members with fuel gusling, service sapping jap motors and b) i think it will eventually enable the club to grow more with other makes of sports car arriving.

I'll start the ball rolling with some really poor attempts!
West Yorkshire Performance Car Club (WYPCC) - SOUNDS LIKE AND ANIMAL CHARITY OF SOME SORT??

West Yorkshire Auto Enthusiasts (WYAE) - Sounds like were all 50+ and drive silver WR's sorry i meant Hilman Imps.

West Yorkshire Japanease Performance Car Club - (WYJPCC)

Ok so their all crap, think of something else.
Old 23 January 2005, 10:22 AM
Alan C
Scooby Regular

Any more tries?