Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Riots in the Ukraine

Search this Thread

Old 19 February 2014, 08:28 AM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Riots in the Ukraine

I'm surprised this hasn't been mentioned on here, seeing it's pretty big in the news at the moment.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-25182823

So what does Scoobynet make of the violence/riots in the Ukraine at the moment? I figure given there are so many EU sceptics on here, that rioting over a government not wanting to join the EU should make for an interesting/entertaining discussion.
Old 19 February 2014, 08:36 AM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

So what happens if the Ukraine joins the EU? All of these (well not all lol but a big majority) up's sticks and ***** off to some other country, probably here!

I hope they stay out of the EU, there's enough of them Eastern Europeans here as it is.
Old 19 February 2014, 11:16 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RA Dunk
So what happens if the Ukraine joins the EU? All of these (well not all lol but a big majority) up's sticks and ***** off to some other country, probably here!

I hope they stay out of the EU, there's enough of them Eastern Europeans here as it is.

Tis true though
Old 19 February 2014, 11:29 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Hopefully Ukraine won't descend into civil war. Was hoping to go to Chernobyl in the summer. Not going if the country decides to implode.
Old 19 February 2014, 12:23 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by neil-h
I'm surprised this hasn't been mentioned on here, seeing it's pretty big in the news at the moment.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-25182823

So what does Scoobynet make of the violence/riots in the Ukraine at the moment? I figure given there are so many EU sceptics on here, that rioting over a government not wanting to join the EU should make for an interesting/entertaining discussion.
It's a complicated scenario which is explained quite well in that Beeb link. In essence a Russian/EU split with many pro-EU supporters believing, wrongly, that their troubles will magically disappear if they join the EU.

The big question is whether there is sufficient disagreement to start a full blown civil war. A change in gov't is possibly the only way to stop this and, as usual, how far Putin wants to take this once he has put his toboggan away.

dl
Old 19 February 2014, 01:32 PM
Dr Hu
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Its because they see the EU as a huge pot of gold over the rainbow - they expect (know) the EU will pour money into their country to bring it into line with the other EU countries standard of living.
Old 19 February 2014, 01:38 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dr Hu
Its because they see the EU as a huge pot of gold over the rainbow - they expect (know) the EU will pour money into their country to bring it into line with the other EU countries standard of living.
yes it's that simple
Old 19 February 2014, 05:30 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock
. In essence a Russian/EU split with many pro-EU supporters believing, wrongly, that their troubles will magically disappear if they join the EU.

dl
Nobody is that naive.

However, with a history of communism and oppression, they may hope that joining the EU will help cement Ukraine as a democracy......which it will. For the EU it's is creating a larger single marker for companies like Audi to exploit.
Old 19 February 2014, 07:16 PM
Jamie
Super Muppet

He needs to step down or the **** will hit the fan.
Old 19 February 2014, 07:18 PM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

Think the leaders of both organisations should fight it out in the middle of Kiev
Old 20 February 2014, 08:41 AM
Jamie
Super Muppet

I will not put the link up but i did see some woman with her hand shot off
Old 20 February 2014, 09:59 AM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Doesnt anyone else think it is strange that there are riots after that episode of Top Gear haha
Old 20 February 2014, 10:04 AM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JDM_Stig
Doesnt anyone else think it is strange that there are riots after that episode of Top Gear haha
Some say he's secretly a pro-european activist...
Old 20 February 2014, 11:26 AM
Jamie
Super Muppet

Old 21 February 2014, 10:27 AM
mantazini
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by paulr
Nobody is that naive.

However, with a history of communism and oppression, they may hope that joining the EU will help cement Ukraine as a democracy......which it will. For the EU it's is creating a larger single marker for companies like Audi to exploit.
At least one adequate opinion here ... The people are not fighting for joining the EU , people fighting the corrupted government , fighting for a freedom . Its Russian regime , most of you dont know just heard the UK or US propaganda , but i do . They're fighting to have a right of an option , opinion . You just can imagine how **** their life was if they're ready to go under bullet.
Old 21 February 2014, 10:32 AM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by mantazini
At least one adequate opinion here ... The people are not fighting for joining the EU , people fighting the corrupted government , fighting for a freedom . Its Russian regime , most of you dont know just heard the UK or US propaganda , but i do . They're fighting to have a right of an option , opinion . You just can imagine how **** their life was if they're ready to go under bullet.
It's a bad situation Mantas. The people are risking life and limb so I think there's more at stake than wanting to join the EU. I just hope it doesn't erupt in to a civil war. :-(
Old 21 February 2014, 10:46 AM
mantazini
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Einstein RA
It's a bad situation Mantas. The people are risking life and limb so I think there's more at stake than wanting to join the EU. I just hope it doesn't erupt in to a civil war. :-(
It might unfortunately , it's exactly the same situation as we had in 91 .... There's no turning back for them now.... The war generals left their posts, there's no army , it's civil people against a bunch of wealthy ******* who control everything including police forces . The police and special forces are getting paid to do of what they're doing now , killing their own people... Scum...
Old 21 February 2014, 05:34 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Its like when people say lots of East Europeans come here for benefits. Speak to them. I have lots of Polish friends, and consistently, they say one reason they left Poland is the corrupt church. They detest the influence the church has over everyday life.
Old 21 February 2014, 07:03 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

It might unfortunately , it's exactly the same situation as we had in 91 .... There's no turning back for them now.... The war generals left their posts, there's no army , it's civil people against a bunch of wealthy ******* who control everything including police forces . The police and special forces are getting paid to do of what they're doing now , killing their own people... Scum...
If Ukraine can manage to shake off the Russias hold over their political elite, then maybe, just maybe Belarus could be next?

Putin's worst nightmare!
Old 21 February 2014, 09:15 PM
albob
Scooby Regular

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

it will be interesting to see what Putin does after the Winter Olympics finish -- I cant see Russia letting Ukraine come under the influence of the EU..

If you remember, a couple of years ago the Russians switched the gas supply to Ukraine off in the middle of winter, just the remind them who was Boss.....
Old 21 February 2014, 09:52 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

All these riots are political and if I was in office this was the first person I would punch

Old 22 February 2014, 09:04 AM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Appears the president of Ukraine has gone walk abouts.
Old 22 February 2014, 09:43 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

The opposition (rioters?) now have their gander up. Nothing short of the President having an early bath will suffice. Perhaps there will be calls for his arrest on corruption charges?

Seems so similar to Egypt but without the Moslem element.

dl
Old 22 February 2014, 07:42 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-26307745

Scroll down to the last picture, what do you see?
Old 22 February 2014, 09:53 PM
fpan
Scooby Regular

Received 174 Likes on 128 Posts

Is that your only worry? I hope they stay out of the EU for their own good sake.

If they want to do jobs that the Brits can't be arsed to do what is the problem with "immigrants" ?
Old 22 February 2014, 10:09 PM
albob
Scooby Regular

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by paulr
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-26307745

Scroll down to the last picture, what do you see?
I looked for a Scooby but couldn't see one.... just a Boxer
Old 22 February 2014, 10:10 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fpan
Is that your only worry? I hope they stay out of the EU for their own good sake.

If they want to do jobs that the Brits can't be arsed to do what is the problem with "immigrants" ?
Yes, lets open our doors so the whole world can walk straight in.
Old 22 February 2014, 11:55 PM
stipete75
Scooby Regular

Every (power) government on the planet are corrupt, the recent problems in the Ukraine are only evident because their people won't be walked over and take the ****, hence the rioting, fighting for their freedom,,where as we roll over and take ****e as does the US.
Old 23 February 2014, 12:00 AM
fpan
Scooby Regular

Received 174 Likes on 128 Posts

Yes, lets open our doors so the whole world can walk straight in.
Unfortunately people have to move about to work/survive.
Old 23 February 2014, 12:59 AM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

My extended family are still over there. There had been no contact since 1945 until two years ago, as my grandparents were take from Ukraine to a German PoW camp. They lost contact with the rest of the family and we only git back in touch through the worst possible source - facebook. We get bits of news passed down the grapevine and it seems to be different to what the press and media portay.

Quick Reply: Riots in the Ukraine