Vegas excursions.

Search this Thread

Old 26 January 2014, 12:11 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Vegas excursions.

Hey ****'s

So as you know Im blowing my wad in vegas this year and while planning im not sure what excursions to go for. I want to do the hoover dam and the grand canion but not sure what company to go with.

I imagine the dam is. Few hours and then the canion at sunset sone time.
Who did you use?

Fanks bitches.
Old 26 January 2014, 12:17 PM
Saxo Boy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just hire a vette from Hertz and drive to the Dam yourself. There is parking there and you can can walk down onto the dam, take some photos and then haul *** to do something else.

Don't do the Skywalk, it's not that high and pretty sh*t. If I was going back I'd do a helicopter tour of the GC.
Old 26 January 2014, 12:37 PM
birchy2010
Scooby Regular

Yeah I'm there later this year and I'm doing a helicopter tour of it. It's part of a package including the transfer etc from the hotel. Misses is a travel agent so I'll find out who were using.
Old 26 January 2014, 02:59 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

If you do the Hoover dam and the Grand Canyon on a pre booked day trip you won't be going to the main part of the canyon as its 260miles away from Vegas.

The Dam is about 45minutes drive from Vegas and the eastern rim of the canyon which they will take you to is about another 50 minutes ontop of that.

I would head to this place and stay over night so its not too big of a drive in one day

http://www.bearmountain.com/snowboard/
Old 26 January 2014, 07:27 PM
jods
Scooby Senior

Ali and I did the tour of the Hoover dam and Grand Canyon. We were staying at the Bellagio in the main strip of Vegas. I'd definately recommend taking the flight (small 6 seater) to the canyon airport and then use the 'copter to fly down to he Colorado river. Driving / Walking will take forever. I think we used King Excursions. Will dig out the details.
Old 26 January 2014, 07:28 PM
jods
Scooby Senior

Also. Rent a car and do the drive to Yosemite. It's awesome
Old 26 January 2014, 07:55 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

My mum and dad went last novemeber , they loved the helicopter trip in the canyon
Old 26 January 2014, 08:32 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

We are driving from San Diago to Vegas so will stop at the dam on route - its only 40miles from vegas.

We will then be spending the night at the south rim with a very good veiw
Sun rise and sun set at the canyon. Gonna be a blast.

Gonna swim with the baluga whale in Sea world and a treat at the Rhino club in. Vegas . Just picking my dancer....
Old 26 January 2014, 08:36 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by RobsyUK
We are driving from San Diago to Vegas so will stop at the dam on route - its only 40miles from vegas.

That's a big detour as I drove from Malibu to Vegas but its still a further drive to the Hoover dam
Old 26 January 2014, 10:14 PM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

just book via your Hotel, they'll have special offers etc.

we did H/Dam & West Rim of GC in 2006.. booking in the NEWYORK NEW YORK hotel.

then did the drive in 2009 to South Rim GC from Paige in AZ.. then H/Dam then to Vegas.

two totally differnt experiences of seeing the GC, the South rim is totally different to the West rim (where the SkyView is now built)

WEST RIM....

SOUTH RIM... very tourist friendly, tarmac'd walk ways etc.. toilet blocks along the way too.

spot the tourists!!!! at the end of our 'walk' we got the shuttle bus back from here to the car park lol

oh.. BTW..
West Rim is about 2hrs from Vegas
South Rim is about 4hrs from Vegas

not sure if you can get on the Dam anymore now the road by pass is complete, but it is spectacular to look down it

go see the car collection in the Imperial Hotel too... everything is for sale!!!!!!

Last edited by salsa-king; 26 January 2014 at 10:22 PM.
Old 27 January 2014, 07:46 AM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Thank you salsa, i love driving so although it will be long days it's worth just seeing the scenery. Thanks for the heads up on the museum
Old 27 January 2014, 10:02 AM
ReallyReallyGoodMeat
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you hire a decent convertible motor, head on over west to Red Rock Canyon, it's a little national park you drive yourself around and there's some pretty spectacular views (of red rocks) and some nice roads to throw the car around. It's 5 mins outside town and cheap entry too, kills an hour or so, nice to get out of the madness that is the strip from time to time!
Old 27 January 2014, 10:38 AM
Blue by You
Scooby Regular

We drove from Vegas to a small town called Williams on Route 66 and stayed a couple of nights in a motel to take in the canyon with a helicopter tour. This was a few years ago when the choppers were allowed down into the canyon which I believe is no longer the case.
Williams is (was?) a proper 'hick' town with horse hitching rails and a big old steam loco ride to the canyon if that was your thing.
TBH I wasn't that impressed with the Hoover dam. Sure it's big, and there's a lot of water blah blah, but it's a dam like any other. It's ok if you like concrete and water

Edited to add:
If you're staying in San Diego make sure to take the tram into Mexico for a day in Tijuana. It's trashy, an all day party, you'll have a blast and spend all your money on Margueritas and western boots
Gotta do it at least once.

Last edited by Blue by You; 27 January 2014 at 10:42 AM. Reason: More to say