Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Any Accountants or book keepers on here?

Search this Thread

Old 01 October 2013, 10:30 AM
47 NAT
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any Accountants or book keepers on here?

I知 after some advice and any solid information you can give me as I知 looking to change career at the young age of 46

Initially looking to work part/full time and on a self employed basis. What if any, accreditation or qualifications would I need?

I致e looked on both the AAT and ICB websites, who seem to just want your membership fees along with taking further exams through them. Are these really necessary and can you do the job without these letters after your name?

My target would be the self employed and small business痴 to include basic book keeping, tax returns, pay roll, etc and then possibly to if I needed further work to become involved with VAT, PT, IHT, CGT, etc. I値l be self funding and working for a company to sponsor me would probably be out of the question.
Old 01 October 2013, 11:44 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Basic Pitman type training (which I've done) is all you really need plus a very organised mind and systems - I don't even know what quals our book keeper has but she's really good at it.

Add some solid business nous and you could easily do well but you can't charge all that much just book keeping. You could tide yourself over with it then take some basic quals for more advanced stuff?

We choose our accountants (in the process of changing) on reputation and the ability to add more to the business than just doing the year end accounts which many do.

Get yourself a niche too - small Ltd companies or something like that.

TBH just getting back to people on time and getting stuff done when you say you will is a huge plus!
Old 01 October 2013, 06:22 PM
47 NAT
Scooby Regular

I didn't think of Pitman

Your right about getting back to people on time. That is one of my pet hates when someone your paying forgets about you!