Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Just saved £120 on my insurance....

Search this Thread

Old 03 September 2013, 04:50 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Just saved £120 on my insurance....

.....by filling in the form at Compare the Market. Plus I get a free Meerkat!!

Now £120 doesn't seem much to crow about, but my insurance has fallen from £279 to £156!!!!!!!

And no, before anyone has an apoplectic, NOT a Scoob, an Astra CDTi SRi 150.

Pretty chuffed really.
Old 03 September 2013, 04:54 PM
Graz
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well done

Though you probably could have got cashback by going through TopCashBack or Quidco once you've figured out the best deal by comparing meerkats. I'd have the money over a cuddly toy

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/car-insurance/
Old 03 September 2013, 05:19 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

I have just got a renewal thru for my van and I was a little confused at first as I couldn't understand the quote as it was stating £42, then I looked further into it and they were saying I could pay a £12 deposit and spread the rest over 9 monthly payments of £5.22 It has to be a mistake but I'm definitely renewing at this price
Old 03 September 2013, 05:23 PM
WRXBOB
Scooby Regular

Just renewed 2 of our cars and prices are loads lower than last year.
Old 03 September 2013, 05:42 PM
^Qwerty^
Scooby Regular

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

I've just renewed my car. I got a letter saying something along the lines of, "we've hunted around, added some customer loyalty bonus etc. etc. and the renewal price is £300 and you’ll struggle to get a better quote. (up £60 from last year etc.)
So I types my details in to the Meerkat site and get a quote back of £205 without even trying. Two days later, my current insurer rings up and asks if I’m going to renew, to which the answer was obvious. They asked me to send a screen shot from the MK site, and hey presto they beat the quote. Great that I saved myself the best part of £100 for shopping around, but I find it a bit annoying that they didn’t quote me their best price in the first place, or weren’t even in the ball park.

But £100 in my pocket is better than in somebody elses
Old 04 September 2013, 08:11 AM
Fleetster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ^Qwerty^
I've just renewed my car. I got a letter saying something along the lines of, "we've hunted around, added some customer loyalty bonus etc. etc. and the renewal price is £300 and you’ll struggle to get a better quote. (up £60 from last year etc.)
So I types my details in to the Meerkat site and get a quote back of £205 without even trying. Two days later, my current insurer rings up and asks if I’m going to renew, to which the answer was obvious. They asked me to send a screen shot from the MK site, and hey presto they beat the quote. Great that I saved myself the best part of £100 for shopping around, but I find it a bit annoying that they didn’t quote me their best price in the first place, or weren’t even in the ball park.

But £100 in my pocket is better than in somebody elses
THIS! annoys the hell out of me with inursance companies, you get the renewal stating they have got the best price blah blah blah.. untill you search and ring and get more off....
Old 04 September 2013, 08:47 AM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Loyalty died many years ago. Anybody renewing any type of insurance with the same company for a second year is almost definitely paying for those savvy punters who leave after 12 months. Brokers have long been largely legalised con men too pretending to the busy or ignorant that they've found the best deal.

Also, since Top Cashback and Quidco etc have become popular prices have been adjusted accordingly to work out dearer, in many cases, than going direct.

Shopping around is the only answer if you don't like being ripped off. I often find returning to the same company every other year works out best for me.
Old 04 September 2013, 08:59 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

That's what I've tended to do with the other car, plus I'm collecting Meerkats...I now have four.

My Scoob is with Moley.
Old 04 September 2013, 09:41 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Yep I tried the uswitch site and got mine down from £720 to £512 with a better excess
Old 04 September 2013, 01:07 PM
Jamie
Super Muppet

Alcazar did you click the box for your meerkat ? if not you will not get one.
Old 04 September 2013, 01:14 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Yes, it's ordered. I could have chosen the new one, Maiya, but haven't got Aleksandr yet, so chose him.
Old 04 September 2013, 01:20 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
Yes, it's ordered. I could have chosen the new one, Maiya, but haven't got Aleksandr yet, so chose him.
LOL, you're mad In a good way!
Old 04 September 2013, 01:40 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

My first points (red light error) and then the wife reversing the BM into another one (yes we do have reversing sensors...!) means ours has shot up after years of dropping. Arggghhhhhhh!!
Old 04 September 2013, 02:47 PM
farmerwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

i saved £333.80 on a 3 car multicar policy with admiral. i was already with them with the same 3 car policy
Old 04 September 2013, 03:10 PM
^Qwerty^
Scooby Regular

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

I'm dreading it already....eldest son is 15 in November, tick tock tick tock. Assuming all things remain the same, I'm going to have to drop my pants in just over 2 years time and lube up.....
Old 04 September 2013, 03:18 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

When I reached the age of having a licence my father made me stand on my own two feet and save up to get a vehicle and pay for insurance and tax.

It was a good lesson and I never blamed him for that.

Les
Old 04 September 2013, 05:42 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

I went the other way, Les, and did just as MY father did:

I'll help you buy a car, pay your insurance and tax etc first year, help after that if you can't manage it, (assuming you don't buy something we CAN'T insure), just so long as you DON'T bring a motorcycle into our lives.

Seen FAR too many kids dead on bikes over the years.

Now both mine have outgrown bikes.
Old 04 September 2013, 09:58 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

I went the other way, Les, and did just as MY father did:

I'll help you buy a car, pay your insurance and tax etc first year, help after that if you can't manage it, (assuming you don't buy something we CAN'T insure), just so long as you DON'T bring a motorcycle into our lives.

Seen FAR too many kids dead on bikes over the years.

Now both mine have outgrown bikes.
Had my daughter on a bike at 4, jumping ramps, the lot. Start them young, teach them properly, wear the right gear and let them enjoy it. Bikes are great.
Old 04 September 2013, 10:10 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
When I reached the age of having a licence my father made me stand on my own two feet and save up to get a vehicle and pay for insurance and tax.

It was a good lesson and I never blamed him for that.

Les
Insurance was sensible in your day though. I remember mine was £72 TPFT at 17.
Old 04 September 2013, 10:23 PM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by paulr
Insurance was sensible in your day though. I remember mine was £72 TPFT at 17.
Many things were sensible in les days,common sense and sensible has been lost today and replaced by health and safety to think for you,and political correctness.

Them were the days when you just got on with it eh les...
Old 04 September 2013, 10:24 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Spoon
Loyalty died many years ago. Anybody renewing any type of insurance with the same company for a second year is almost definitely paying for those savvy punters who leave after 12 months. Brokers have long been largely legalised con men too pretending to the busy or ignorant that they've found the best deal.
Don't tar us all with the same brush, we're not all bad.

What with the FCA regulating us, and making sure we stick to TCF (treating customers fairly) all brokers should be getting their customers the best deal. That's not to say all are doing it, but I am happy that I am.

On renewals I always do the cheapest I can, as I appreciate its a competitive market, and if our renewal prices are too high people will leave, so we have to try our hardest to keep customers.

Unfortunately it's not to say all insurers/brokers look at things in the same way of course.
Old 04 September 2013, 10:35 PM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Moley_WRX

What with the FCA regulating us, and making sure we stick to TCF (treating customers fairly) all brokers should be getting their customers the best deal. That's not to say all are doing it, but I am happy that I am.

On renewals I always do the cheapest I can, as I appreciate its a competitive market, and if our renewal prices are too high people will leave, so we have to try our hardest to keep customers.

Unfortunately it's not to say all insurers/brokers look at things in the same way of course.
Why is it when I had my renewal they upped the price to £790.00,when I went on money supermarket the same insurance with the same company was £580.00 when I called up my insurance and said you're offering the same on money supermarket for cheaper,they said we can't match the price.I said its the same insurance with the same company,same response I got.ok so I'll cancel and go for the same insurance with same company from money supermarket
Old 04 September 2013, 10:44 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Depends which company it was.

Different brokers get different deals with different insurers.

If we give a company £1m a year that makes them a good profit they'll give us better prices than a broker who gives them £100k per year at a high loss ratio.
Old 04 September 2013, 10:48 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

That is why I said largely. In all areas of business there has to be one or two who not only enjoy what they do but also wouldn't feel comfortable about proposing a bare faced lie to a customer. It just so happens they are getting more scarce as time goes on.
Old 04 September 2013, 10:50 PM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Depends which company it was.

Different brokers get different deals with different insurers.

If we give a company £1m a year that makes them a good profit they'll give us better prices than a broker who gives them £100k per year at a high loss ratio.
More than...
Now I'm with ensure..
Old 04 September 2013, 10:59 PM
Moley
Sponsor

That is why I said largely. In all areas of business there has to be one or two who not only enjoy what they do but also wouldn't feel comfortable about proposing a bare faced lie to a customer. It just so happens they are getting more scarce as time goes on.
Unfortunately you are completely correct.

Another big change these days is too much relying on what the computer says.
Underwriters are being used less and less these days, so the rates are worked out by what a computer says, rather than a human looking at more than just numbers.

We are fortunate in that we still get to do things the old fashion way still, although IMO that will happen less and less in future, as those who make the rules want to see rates worked out by formulas rather than common sense.

Some may see that as a good thing, some as a bad thing. Depends if the computer says you're a good risk or not.

What that happens I'll be looking for a new job, as I personally want to use my knowledge and underwriting 'skills' rather than be a data input clerk.
Old 04 September 2013, 11:00 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Originally Posted by DYK
More than...
Now I'm with ensure..
Don't try an understand how direct insurers work. I've been working in insurance for 14 years now and I don't understand it either
Old 05 September 2013, 11:32 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Had my daughter on a bike at 4, jumping ramps, the lot. Start them young, teach them properly, wear the right gear and let them enjoy it. Bikes are great.
Same thing for at least five of the dead lads.

All the training in the world won't help when a lorry hits you.....
Old 05 September 2013, 12:14 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Same thing for at least five of the dead lads.

All the training in the world won't help when a lorry hits you.....
It will if you avoid it. Aren't lorries allowed to hit cars?
Old 05 September 2013, 03:58 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

It will if you avoid it. Aren't lorries allowed to hit cars?
Avoid it? How, when it ploughs into you? Or turns left over you?

And lorries hitting cars? Yes, of course, you are being obtuse.
Do motorbikes have crumple zones?

Enough of this, you make a mockery of 30+ lives

Quick Reply: Just saved £120 on my insurance....