Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Camping

Search this Thread

Old 05 July 2013, 10:37 PM
JensonsScooby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Camping

As the weather is good this weekend I think it's time to pack the scoob and take the kids camping for a few days.

Hopefully I will find one that ain't fully booked...

Does anyone have any recommendations on where is good for kids aged between 4 and 13 years old.

Looking around the Highpeak, Cheshire, Wales or The Lakes.
Old 05 July 2013, 11:39 PM
Peedee
Scooby Regular

The back garden!
Old 05 July 2013, 11:48 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Google the sites in Anglesey and Snowdonia area, Jenson. Plenty of sites, and you will have a Wale of a time in North Wales- it's beautiful and chilling here. Not very far from Manchester either. Your children will love it if they love nature.
Old 06 July 2013, 12:58 AM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Peedee
The back garden!
I used to camp in the back garden as a kid.

It's the best spot. If it gets too wet or cold you have a warm bed waiting lol.
Old 06 July 2013, 02:54 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful

Where's the adventure in that, Tony ??? That's just false camping. The fun is when it's belting down on the tent, you are pitching under the tree in some proper rural campsite, and you feel dead frightened that lightning is gonna strike the tree any minute. Then, you move your tent to a different spot in the middle of the rain, or get into your car to sleep. Now that is fun. There are some really good sleeping bags you can buy these days that should keep you very warm and cozy.

my cats love camping the tent pitched up in my garden, but for proper human camping, you have to be hard. Camping isn't for the weak-hearted who leg it into their house when it drizzles or goes a bit chilly.
Old 06 July 2013, 06:00 PM
Jamie
Super Muppet

I love camping even better is wild camping just get in the car drive and pitch up the tent
Old 06 July 2013, 06:11 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Received 495 Likes on 339 Posts

sleeping in a tent in this weather.....................
Old 07 July 2013, 08:10 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Turbohot
Where's the adventure in that, Tony ??? That's just false camping. The fun is when it's belting down on the tent, you are pitching under the tree in some proper rural campsite, and you feel dead frightened that lightning is gonna strike the tree any minute. Then, you move your tent to a different spot in the middle of the rain, or get into your car to sleep. Now that is fun. There are some really good sleeping bags you can buy these days that should keep you very warm and cozy.

my cats love camping the tent pitched up in my garden, but for proper human camping, you have to be hard. Camping isn't for the weak-hearted who leg it into their house when it drizzles or goes a bit chilly.
I've done plenty of the **** too. I once spent my last three nights in Wales with only two packets of pot noodle left, and a single skin one man dome tent. It was Easter and it was pissing down and cold. It was a dreadful experience. My 'mates' gave up and went to the B&B but I was too skint.
Old 07 July 2013, 08:21 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

I've done plenty of the **** too. I once spent my last three nights in Wales with only two packets of pot noodle left, and a single skin one man dome tent. It was Easter and it was pissing down and cold. It was a dreadful experience. My 'mates' gave up and went to the B&B but I was too skint.
Hm, I can see you're traumatised with that experience but if you get a better tent, better food and better sleeping bag, you will be ok, you know. And yes, get real mates who don't desert you and **** off to some B&B without you in such weather, because you're skint. That was really mean of them.
Old 07 July 2013, 08:46 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Initially thought this was another Graham Norton thread

We camped in the back garden earlier this year, right at the back, beyond site the house

The main reason was to let the kids hear the dawn chorus, which is simply amazing, so loud
Old 07 July 2013, 09:01 PM
Jamie
Super Muppet

I want to go camping with swati it would be a great laugh
Old 07 July 2013, 09:20 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

I'm thinking of doing this over the school holidays, planning to go to Kielder but I will go up in my van so I can take the bikes as well
Old 07 July 2013, 09:24 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jamie
I want to go camping with swati it would be a great laugh
Jamie, camping is about fun, laughter and being close to nature. I don't do much outdoor stuff because I feel bleddy freezing mosta time, but occasional down to earth camping in Summer peak is cool as. Nothing stops people to untent themselves if it gets too bad outside. As Tony says, there are B&Bs to shelter, and some people keep arrangement in their big cars for unforeseen p!ssdowns. Mind you, after seeing that film called Windchill, not sure if car-sleeping as plan B is a good idea.

Not so certain about camping in the wilds like yourself, though. In Wales, we have farmers bollocking you and moving you on. That's a serious hurt to the ego. Most wilds seem to be taken over by the farmers here. Well, unless they are actually ghosts! Amazingly, school kids still find their way to pitch in random woods.
Old 07 July 2013, 09:49 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Gower Peninsular?

Bit like Cornwall but without the trippers.

dl
Old 07 July 2013, 09:51 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Turbohot
Hm, I can see you're traumatised with that experience but if you get a better tent, better food and better sleeping bag, you will be ok, you know. And yes, get real mates who don't desert you and **** off to some B&B without you in such weather, because you're skint. That was really mean of them.
Holds little appeal for me now I'm older. If I had kids I might think about it, but I spend my working life in some ****ty conditions some times. Last thing I want is discomfort on my time off.
Old 07 July 2013, 10:37 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Holds little appeal for me now I'm older. If I had kids I might think about it, but I spend my working life in some ****ty conditions some times. Last thing I want is discomfort on my time off.
I understand, Tony. I don't think one needs to have kids to enjoy camping or fall in certain age band, but if you are roughing around a bit with your job, then what you really want is a comfy bed and all creature comforts on your holiday, not some jungle dwelling on a stream bank with a leaf for a toilet paper; even if it is just for a weekend or so.
Old 08 July 2013, 09:04 AM
Graz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock
Gower Peninsular?

Bit like Cornwall but without the trippers.

dl
Sssh, else everyone will start going there
Old 08 July 2013, 10:48 AM
Jamie
Super Muppet

Swati have a look at this

Old 08 July 2013, 11:14 AM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Good find, Jamie. We have plenty of spots like that in North Wales. It certainly is like living a dream, man.

About the clouds meandering around you, my dream was broken when I first went on a plane as a child. I was expecting the clouds to be full of mystery, but when the plane tore through them, I realised that there was nothing more than nothingness about them. I was very disappointed. They are very atmospheric, fair do's. I can do my work journey through the clouds almost every day on the horse shoe pass here. I avoid it, because that route gets very dangerous to drive sometimes.
Old 08 July 2013, 12:28 PM
Graz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevebt
I'm thinking of doing this over the school holidays, planning to go to Kielder but I will go up in my van so I can take the bikes as well
Remember camping at Kielder forest on the way up to a holiday cottage holiday in Scotland when we were kids. The overriding memory was the midges, it was almost like a dark cloud descending on the campsite around dusk and everyone running for cover to get inside your tent/caravan etc. before it as too late. Thank God the tent had insect nets

To the OP, any of those spots sound good, just get out there and enjoy the weather. Don't skimp on the gear and you'll have a good time whatever the weather. I wish I could be going sometime soon but that practicalities of a 5 week old baby rules it out for us for now. We took our boy when he was just 6 months and again last year when he was 1yr 4mths, he seemed to enjoy it. The trip to Harlech last year was with strong winds and torrential rain for a couple of nights, still fun but luckily the weather tended to be better during the day. Had a similar experience on the Gower but that was before kids. Amazed the tent held up so well both times
Old 08 July 2013, 07:26 PM
Jamie
Super Muppet

Muppet meet in wales or was it somewhere else? camping was good

Last time i went with someone was with wwsd not far from brecon beacons march -5 in a tent we gave up at 1 am and drove home.

swatit have you still got the same car?
Old 08 July 2013, 08:36 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Muppet meet in wales or was it somewhere else? camping was good

Last time i went with someone was with wwsd not far from brecon beacons march -5 in a tent we gave up at 1 am and drove home.

swatit have you still got the same car?

No Jamie, I don't have a Subaru any more. I sold it in 2011. I now have a new age gangsta Passat in black.

About the Muppet camping meet in Wales, I heard different story from another muppet. I heard that it was terribly unruly with too many p!ssheads making a right mess of the camp site. Apparently there were lot of complaints for the noise and havoc caused by mentally immature muppets. That's out of order IMO. I had nothing to do with Muppet meets, then. So, I am lucky not to have witnessed it, if that was true.

BTW why the hell did you want to camp at Brecon Beacons at -5 in March, you numpties? No wonder you had to give up.
Anyway, say my Hi to WWSD when you see him.

Last edited by Turbohot; 08 July 2013 at 09:46 PM.
Old 08 July 2013, 10:23 PM
Jamie
Super Muppet

It was a stupid mad muppet meet i spent my time in the tent smoking er stuff muppets went up some hill had a laugh

wwsd still ponders on here i think?
Old 09 July 2013, 02:48 PM
JensonsScooby
Scooby Regular

lol I used to myself... In the eighties we was happy with that.
Kids nowadays want more than we can offer, I couldn't imagine my kids faces suggesting that one.
We have plenty of Greenland too,living in the Highpeak
Old 09 July 2013, 02:51 PM
JensonsScooby
Scooby Regular

I love camping even better is wild camping just get in the car drive and pitch up the tent
I agree with that one...
But it's abit difficult when you have 5 dependants under 13
Old 09 July 2013, 03:05 PM
JensonsScooby
Scooby Regular

We ended up in Ashbourne.
We booked in at rivendale camp site.

Very nice rural site set in a disused quarry. Very peaceful and plenty of space.

You can choose to camp in rough fields, mowed fields with electric hookup or on the mountain side.

We took the option of mowed fields with electric due to having young ones.

If you like peace and quiet in the evening then and an early morning then this site is a must.

Be prepared for the early morning there is LOTS of nature around, birds nesting on the quarry face is a big factor of the site...
PERFECT for bird watchers lol

To be continued....
Old 09 July 2013, 03:54 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally I can't see why anybody would want to sleep in a tent (unless you are a refugee)
Old 09 July 2013, 07:11 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dingdongler
Personally I can't see why anybody would want to sleep in a tent (unless you are a refugee)
Old 09 July 2013, 09:10 PM
Jamie
Super Muppet

Originally Posted by JensonsScooby
I agree with that one...
But it's abit difficult when you have 5 dependants under 13
Did you not learn to pull out

Even with kids it's a good weekend fire up a bbq sorted

btw do not put the kids on the bbq
Old 10 July 2013, 07:51 AM
Ray T