Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Fishing - Barbaric or Sport?

Search this Thread

Old 20 May 2002, 07:49 PM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just a load of smelly old men in all weather gear getting away from the wife for a couple of hours on a sunday. Harmless enough you may think, but have you ever watched a fisherman.

The "strike" - the moment the fisherman realises he has a bite and snatches at the rod. I have seen this happen and the hook be wound in with nothing more left other than a pair of fish lips. i kid you not.

Now does this kind of behaviour have any place inm the 21st century? These people are not fishing for food. (If they want fish iceland do some good prices).

When landed you see the poor fish floundering about; like, well a fish out of water! Then once it is half suffocated they start mauling it with there warm hands - which must feel red hot to a fish who spends it's life in freezing water. Then if it's lucky it gets returned or sometimes killed to use as bait or just to take home and show the missus.

The sooner this is banned the better.

Old 20 May 2002, 08:14 PM
Adam_K
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fishing is wicked, i love it. nowt wrong with fishing.
Old 20 May 2002, 08:25 PM
PeteT
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I eat all the ones I catch (as long as they're big enough).
If you're worried about cruelty take a trip to your nearest battery farm.
Old 20 May 2002, 08:26 PM
scooby nutter
Scooby Regular

Also a fisherman.
Nothing wrong with coarse fishing as all catches are released without harm.When im carp fishing we use unhooking mats to protect the fish during unhooking,weighslings to protect while weighing,Carp medic is used on the area where the hook entered to protect from parisites etc.
There are carp which have lived over 60 years and have been caught over 100 times and are non the worse for it.

let me guess you belong to one of those "NUTTER"groups who go round disrupting hunts and releasing Animals from laborotys(SP???)
Are you now starting on the uk's most popular pastime??
Old 20 May 2002, 08:30 PM
moses
BANNED
Support Scoobynet!

fishing is wonderful mate especially fly fishing yeah baby i love brown trouts but very hard to catch though, rainbows not bad, i bought a pike fly rod too still to try it out though
Old 20 May 2002, 08:32 PM
moses
BANNED
Support Scoobynet!

yeah i eat them all too mate and stop complaining to u eat fish suppers probably yes so stop moaning, and u must like burgers too, u know they shock them sometimes whack them on their heads.

we fishermen know how do to do it properly not like some ned scum
Old 20 May 2002, 08:33 PM
jasey
Scooby Senior

You should see the state of the Foxes I catch with my tackle - now I can't use the dogs anymore
Old 20 May 2002, 08:36 PM
scooby nutter
Scooby Regular

LOL @moses

Come on Moses, back to the MLR
Old 20 May 2002, 08:44 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

jjones - and catching fish by huge nets and letting them suffocate by the thousands like industrial trawlers do? Or do you not eat fish?

I like no one here can 100% know if getting caught affects a fish but Id focus your attention on foxhunting and other bloodsports.
Old 20 May 2002, 08:49 PM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

Wink

Why is foxhunting different ?

Fish are "Played" are until they're exhausted then subjected to a bit more stress for good measure.

I am for Fox hunting but could never understand the distinction between that and fishing - especially when MPs who fish stand up gainst fox hunting. Pure popularist hypocracy

Its not a nice world so suck it up and let government concentrate on more important things - like the scurge of escaped packs of horses hunting badgers.

Deano
Old 20 May 2002, 10:12 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Erm because they dont let a pack of dogs tear the poor fish apart for sheer amusement. Dont get me wrong I dont fish or condone it but I also dont think you can put it in the same basket as foxhunting. Unless your telling me that the hunts people tuck into a nice bit of fox steak one theyve killed it?
Old 20 May 2002, 11:08 PM
jjones
Scooby Regular

what about the poor maggots ?? never a second thought to those poor buggers. A hook half the size of them rammed through their **** and then, if they survive that, its 20 mins in the canal for you.

do you really think that fish don't feel pain?

i'm sure they love being gouged in the mouth then dragged through the water by their gums (if they are lucky).

just so you can have a "bit of fun".

Old 20 May 2002, 11:09 PM
MrDeference
Scooby Regular

I wonder if tens of thousands of suffocating fish's aggregate pain is on a par with a couple of dozen of shredded foxes? Is there a sufferometer, so that we can outlaw activities that are just cruel enough. I heard that pack hounds always used to buy mini-kievs from Safeways until hunt masters made them hunt foxes.

Not sure about that measurement though - do we use the number of animals involved, or their size, or cuteness as the multiplier?

What about if you kill something, for the purposes of eating it, like a fish, and then leave it in the fridge for 3 weeks. I guess because you don't eat it, but intended to, it is OK.

Although tricky with a cow - or a pig. Oh no - that doesn't apply - they are reared to die. Which is why you can't eat a horse. Or a dog. Anyways it's been proven that eating a dog is amoral.

Part of the reason I buy Wax Wizard gear is the hope that the bee's (mmmm - honey) are only stunned or slightly injured by the glancing blow.
Old 20 May 2002, 11:42 PM
jjones
Scooby Regular

WHO MENTIONED FOX HUNTING FFS.

TRAWLING IS DONE TO PROVIDE FOOD.

"Angling" isn't; i guess 95% of fishermen are there for their PLEASURE NOT SURVIVAL.

The point is every weekend tens of thousands of "gentlemen" take it upon themselves to put thousands upon thousands of fish through a traumatic/fatal encounter for their own pleasure.

(suppose your next argument will be - but sheep ******** is ok because it only harms sheep and they are reared for meat only...)

how would you like to woken for sunday breakfast by some ****** ripping a piece of metal through your cheek? and then dragging you into an environment where you cannot breathe and then handling you with red hot hands?

Old 20 May 2002, 11:51 PM
Norman D. Landing
Scooby Regular

..........and could a fisherman tell me what a disgorger is used for ?

[Edited by Norman D. Landing - 5/20/2002 11:53:13 PM]
Old 21 May 2002, 12:03 AM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

With all blood sports(pastimes!), there is too much mis-information on both sides (mostly the ones with very strong allegiances one way or the other) that people aren't making informed opinions. I remember hunt sabateurs out with their 'ban cruel sports' placards & in some cases, dangerous behaviour near where I used to live. Stupid thing was they were not even real hunts, just mock hunts (i.e. no dogs, just people riding horses) At the end of they day, I don't care about whether sport is involved etc., but am only really concerned with the degree of cruelty.

Too much of it is about snobbery and rich vs poor vs upper class vs tree creepers etc. etc. which is all missing the point.

Don't go fishing (not really interested or bothered) but did go a few times as a kid. I can guarantee you that no fish ever came to any harm whatsover when I was fishing.

(yup, coz I never caught a single one, grrr!).
Old 21 May 2002, 07:23 AM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Wink

Forget the cruelty to the animals, what about the humans? Fishing has got to be the most lonely, sad, time-wasting past-time I've ever come across.

Surely it would be more fun to spend a couple of hours giving the Scoob (or the missus?) a good thrashing, rather than sitting watching a float bobbing?

Frankly, if I'm going to sit by a river and enjoy the peace and quiet, I don't want some pesky fish interrupting me by getting caught on my stick. Somebody once called gold a "good walk, spoilt". I reckon fishing is a "good nap, spoilt".
Old 21 May 2002, 07:55 AM
STi go fast
Scooby Regular

who cares about fishing- the sad muppets sat by the river might need their heads testing but the fish dont care, they have no ability to care.

their life revolves around brain stem reactions to their enviroment, they do not have massively-developed neocortex and other specialized brain regions in the cerebral hemispheres,did you lot not go to school?

if the cerebral hemispheres of a human are destroyed, a comatose, vegetative state results- like using the net fish dont give a toss, they have very small cerebral hemispheres that lack neocortex. if the cerebral hemispheres of a fish are destroyed, the fish’s behavior is quite normal, because the simple behaviors of which a fish is capable (including all of its reactions to nociceptive stimuli) depend mainly on the brainstem and spinal cord.

so, a human’s existence is dominated by the cerebral hemispheres, but a fish is a brainstem-dominated organism with no ability to feel pain like us. they just react- same as a simple animal, like starfish or something, will move away from a nasty chemicle even though it has no brain at all.

a fox is different altogether and only hunted by posh ******* but thats another story....

SGF

Old 21 May 2002, 07:59 AM
jjones
Scooby Regular

have you never heard a fish squeal??????
Old 21 May 2002, 08:47 AM
Gordo
Scooby Regular

It's f***ing sad but if people enjoy fishing let them get on with it - at least we know where the smelly old men are when they're sitting by the canal, what would they be up to otherwise?

fish are thick as mince so I wouldn't worry about them too much - and many of them wouldn't survive if fishing was banned as fishing revenues maintain the waterways and fish stocks in many areas.

Gordo
Old 21 May 2002, 09:48 AM
MrDeference
Scooby Regular

The funniest thing is that people justify some suffering in the name of food, and get upset about other types because the person doing the killing is "having fun". I don't think that a pig/cow/fish/fox can understand the distinction.
I hope all slaughtermen absolutely hate their jobs, and resent having to kill - otherwise they too are evil.
Old 21 May 2002, 09:58 AM
Toerag
Scooby Regular

Nowadays a LOT of coarse and game fish in reservoirs are bred specifically for the purpose of stocking angling venues.
I have heard Gurnards grunt, it sounds quite funny
What about people who keep fish in aquaria? surely that's cruel like a zoo?
Old 21 May 2002, 12:18 PM
scooby nutter
Scooby Regular

FOr your infomation

I am NOT a SAD FU***** Muppet !!Its a way to relax,get out of the smog ridden **** holes that are our cities and go into the country.
On the other hand i Give my Evo a real good blast most weekends when i'm not fishing.When i'm not doing either, i get my Honda CR Motocross bike out and tear it up on the local practice track

Jjones,
Think you started this thread to cause SH*&
save your poor animal cause and get into the real world,Start on child molestors,peadophiles,rapist's,drug addicts,thiefs.OR dont you have the ***** to do this
Old 21 May 2002, 12:35 PM
RB170
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

How can you say fishing isn't barbaric ?? Think about it

First you hook this fish in whatever part of it's anatomy you happen to snare. Then you drag it through the water and when you land it you smash it's head on the floor until it's dead ??

And what about all the other animals that suffer from fishing like swans and ducks. A lot of fishermen use old lead weights that they've had for 20 years and they won't change because it works.

I think you lot need to see fishing for what it is and that is nothing but brutal.

Imagine if I had a piece of rope with meat hook on the end and on this hook I put some beef or something. Along comes this dog/cat and takes a bite of the meat, I'm in the top window waiting for this and WHAM I strike. The hook goes through the dog/cat's jaw, there's blood spurting everywhere but it doesn't matter cause I don't think the dog/cat can feel a thing and they're pretty dumb anyway. I then proceed to drag it accross the garden up to the top window where I amd waiting with a bat to smash it's head in.

Nice I like a bit of ******* or Catting

Mike

[Edited by RB170 - 5/21/2002 12:38:46 PM]
Old 21 May 2002, 12:49 PM
Crispin
Scooby Regular

I am a Spearfisherman, I only shoot what I can eat, I can select my species, and the size, I consider it to be far more 'friendly' than any form of netting (obviously) and sea angling...I have seen sunfish caught off Cornwall by anglers, and then have to be destroyed.....

You also get to see some interesting things in the water too....

[Edited by Crispin - 5/21/2002 12:50:11 PM]
Old 21 May 2002, 12:54 PM
father_jack
Scooby Regular

I would like to propose a new sport called cowing. You sit in a boat in the middle of a lake, harpoon a cow and drag it into the water. You then weigh it and catapult it back to dry land.
Now that's a sport.
Old 21 May 2002, 12:56 PM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

Wink

Now then that would be barbaric - You need to use feckin great hook in the mouth - Now that would be a sport worthy of millions
Old 21 May 2002, 01:00 PM
jjones
Scooby Regular

"Jjones,
Think you started this thread to cause SH*&
save your poor animal cause and get into the real world,Start on child molestors,peadophiles,rapist's,drug addicts,thiefs.OR dont you have the ***** to do this"

no i am debating if fishing is barbaric or not. i beleive it is for the reasons i have stated.

what the hell this has to do with sexual deviants is beyond me.

fishing is cruel and un-necessary, carried out by a minority who try to convince everyone else it is not barbaric.

"and get into the real world"

i'm on planet earth? where the hell do you think i writing this from?

Quick Reply: Fishing - Barbaric or Sport?