Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Motorway services

Search this Thread

Old 14 June 2013, 05:09 PM
AndyBaker
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motorway services

Sorry to ask this again so soon but I remember a thread recently where someone got a fine for staying more than two hours in the services car park.

I seem to think that the general consensus was to tell them to **** off, could someone point me in the right direction.

What's annoying is that we were actually in the services all the while buying sandwiches and coffee during a work meeting, I could understand it if I'd parked up in the morning and then gone off and left to all day. To55ers
Old 14 June 2013, 05:55 PM
super_ted
Scooby Regular

As far as i know, It is classed as an invoice not a fine. If ignored, eventually they generally give up chasing you.
Old 14 June 2013, 05:57 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Google the company giving you a fine , they'll be loads of advice telling you not to pay
Old 14 June 2013, 06:03 PM
AndyBaker
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys
Old 14 June 2013, 06:05 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

It was me that asked the question. After an hour researching on the internet i decided not to pay. Don't reply, just do nothing. So far i have received three letters, i have done nothing.
Old 14 June 2013, 06:05 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

All changed last year I'm afraid. The government (the Tory one you lot all voted for) closed that little loophole.

If they have notices up detailing the terms/conditions and are members of the BPA (British Parking Association) they can now come after you legally as they have the right to chase the fine through the registered keeper of vehicle now whereas they didn't before.

Not saying they will, but they can now!

Not sure if anyone has tested it in court now it's changed though!

Last edited by f1_fan; 14 June 2013 at 06:07 PM.
Old 14 June 2013, 06:11 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

From what i have read, the advice is still to ignore, then they give up. I did read they have taken 49 people to court, out of thousands that don't pay. I'll take my chances.

After the initial shock, and the "bullying" pay now and it's only £XYZ, i am determined NOT to pay.

1. I was tired driving
2. All the advice is to take a break if tired
3. The car park was empty
4. I stayed 30 minutes over.

In my mind, morally, i've done nothing wrong. It's a con, and i WILL NOT be paying.

Trending Topics

Old 14 June 2013, 06:15 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by paulr
From what i have read, the advice is still to ignore, then they give up. I did read they have taken 49 people to court, out of thousands that don't pay. I'll take my chances.

After the initial shock, and the "bullying" pay now and it's only £XYZ, i am determined NOT to pay.

1. I was tired driving
2. All the advice is to take a break if tired
3. The car park was empty
4. I stayed 30 minutes over.

In my mind, morally, i've done nothing wrong. It's a con, and i WILL NOT be paying.
Couldn't agree more, just letting the OP know the current situation as reagrds the law
Old 14 June 2013, 06:29 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

No sweat.
Old 14 June 2013, 06:56 PM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

Speaking of fines

I work with people who need supported living for various reasons I.E mental health, learning diss etc and as a result all our tenants have disabled badges issued, took one of them bowling the other day, stuck the badge up etc and off I went, came back out around 1.45 hrs later to find a parking notice stuck to the screen for parking in a disabled bay without a badge

Cut a long story short I found the guy who issued it and pointed out the badge, he replied because the writing was faded he had to issue a fine :crazy: now I admit its a little faded but when you look at it in your hand it can be seen so I showed him and he seen it was all above board but he couldn't revise it because his camera wouldn't pick up the writing and the company would not accept it, and as a result he would be in the firing line, even though he can categorically tell them its legal, just a little worn.

Bottom line the companies are only interested in making a quick buck, not remotely interested In reversing what they have issued when proven wrong, by the way this is the second time I've had one issued by this company, the first time around the guy missed the badge and took pics, so I asked for copies of the pictures and it turns out the pics he had taken didn't cover the area the badge was, I sent photos back proving they were wrong and at fault and it still made it to court, fair to say I won, I wonder how far this one gets
Old 14 June 2013, 07:06 PM
AndyBaker
Scooby Regular

Just been on google and there is a link to a solicitor who has pretty much said if they don't know who the driver was they can't do anything so you guys were right, don't reply don't give them any more ammo and they will go away. Cheers
Old 14 June 2013, 08:42 PM
JR WRX
Scooby Regular

I had a letter a few months back, with copies of camera pictures of me driving in to the car park, and leaving the car park at a motorway services.

The actual breech is for "parking over the time limit".

I sent them an email to the appeals address and asked them to prove that I was parked for "over the time limit" that is, picture(s) of my car parked for a duration exceeding the time limit. ( to save money they normally only fit camera's on the way in , and on the way out of the car park - very rarely cover the whole car park with cameras)

Without such proof I stated that I would be happy to attend Court, and my defence would be that I visited the services twice, and they just got a picture of me entering on the first visit, and leaving after the second visit - subtle I know.

Don't be as blunt as above, add a bit about moving your grandma's house contents, taking a sick puppy to and back from the vets, etc.

They dropped the case.
Old 14 June 2013, 09:22 PM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

Dont reply. Keep it. Keep the next 3 warning letters they send. Then it will go quiet. A few months later put all 4 letters in the shredder.