Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

haha nice, might pinch that for notice board at our place
Old 07 June 2013, 06:48 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Think HSE have a bit more authority than they deserve TBH, they even control the temperature of hot water in our work place now in case we burn ourselfs in the shower seriously do they think everybody in the workplace is ******* well incompetent or something?
Old 07 June 2013, 06:58 PM
AndyBaker
Scooby Regular

Like the hair dryer in a hotel that had a warning stuck to it saying " do not use in the shower" Who's that for !!!!!!!!!
Old 07 June 2013, 08:37 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RA Dunk
Think HSE have a bit more authority than they deserve TBH, they even control the temperature of hot water in our work place now in case we burn ourselfs in the shower seriously do they think everybody in the workplace is ******* well incompetent or something?
Lol. Oil & gas industry is crazy.
Old 07 June 2013, 08:48 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GlesgaKiss
It's ******* mental some of the crap they hit us with, the oil companies are terrified of them TBH.
Old 07 June 2013, 08:54 PM
CharlySkunkWeed
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

After a few entries in our accident book of cuts from knives , our boss told us to stop using knives. How the hell are we supposed to cut stuff ?
Old 07 June 2013, 08:55 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's ******* mental some of the crap they hit us with, the oil companies are terrified of them TBH.
I've had recent experience of it. Your employer doesn't start with a P by any chance? I noticed you are in the construction side of things.
Old 07 June 2013, 08:59 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

I've had recent experience of it. Your employer doesn't start with a P by any chance? I noticed you are in the construction side of things.
I've recently moved companies I'm with Woodgroup just now on the Brent Bravo.
Old 07 June 2013, 09:04 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CharlySkunkWeed
After a few entries in our accident book of cuts from knives , our boss told us to stop using knives. How the hell are we supposed to cut stuff ?
We used to get issued with knifes 10/11 years ago till someone cut their finger, the solution was a complete blanked ban by every company in the North Sea. Catering staff have to use a chain mail glove when slicing bread or vegetables now.
Old 07 June 2013, 10:15 PM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hate elf and safety with a passion now,not because i'm against having it,just the stupid ******** who have these jobs and don't appear to have the slightest bit of common sense and come up with daft over the top nonsense,makes everyones job more time consuming and harder to do....
Old 07 June 2013, 10:32 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

I think onshore it's just about right to tbh. I have worked in the industry for 35 years and safety was dire years ago. Even now things do still go wrong, I lost a very good friend just 18 months ago in a totally avoidable accident

Chip
Old 07 June 2013, 11:32 PM
Lisawrx

Originally Posted by AndyBaker
Like the hair dryer in a hotel that had a warning stuck to it saying " do not use in the shower" Who's that for !!!!!!!!!
Sadly, there are people that stupid.
Old 07 June 2013, 11:54 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Lisawrx
Sadly, there are people that stupid.
Yes and signs like that are keeping them alive when natural selection would notmally rid us of them
Old 08 June 2013, 12:01 AM
Lisawrx

Originally Posted by f1_fan
Yes and signs like that are keeping them alive when natural selection would notmally rid us of them
True
Old 08 June 2013, 04:29 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

In the good old days we used to be taught how to think for ourselves and to take care of our own safety. It was all down to good common sense.

Les
Old 08 June 2013, 05:43 PM
DYK
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=Leslie;11114126]In the good old days we used to be taught how to think for ourselves and to take care of our own safety. It was all down to good common sense.

Les[/

Its been replaced with little health and safety hitlers running companies etc les,doing a fine job of it too
Old 08 June 2013, 06:31 PM
mrmadcap
Scooby Regular

That's got nothing to do with the HSE, probably your employer frightened of the 'where there's blame there's a claim' culture.
Old 08 June 2013, 07:24 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mrmadcap
That's got nothing to do with the HSE, probably your employer frightened of the 'where there's blame there's a claim' culture.
Well there was a notice on the wall outside the shower saying it was HSE, so I'm not sure. But being honest it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest.
Old 08 June 2013, 07:26 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
In the good old days we used to be taught how to think for ourselves and to take care of our own safety. It was all down to good common sense.

Les
In the 'good ol days' people were responsible for their own actions, sadly this isn't the case nowadays with everyone looking to get something for nothing.
Old 08 June 2013, 07:56 PM
mrmadcap
Scooby Regular

Well there was a notice on the wall outside the shower saying it was HSE, so I'm not sure. But being honest it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/myth/
Old 08 June 2013, 09:09 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

The problem isn't with the HSE, it's with the civil courts

It is they who continue to award disproportionate payouts to morons simply for being, as a result, companies are forced to go overboard on the regulations to just protect themselves from employee, visitor and even intruder fcukwittery

Last edited by CrisPDuk; 08 June 2013 at 11:38 PM.
Old 08 June 2013, 10:30 PM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Get this then,a mate of mine told me a company he visits regular and the job he does used to take between 30/40 mins,been doing it for 6 years never a problem.Now because of new health and safety regs its taking between 2/3hours.He said I'm now on site for longer so now I'm even more of a risk than before.
Even the staff have had meetings on how stupid it is as its making the job harder,and because they are not getting as much work done,it's being passed on to the late shif.

I got threatened once by health and safety for driving up the company car park too quickly,I said you got speed ramps going along the drive,and I wasn't speeding.
Few weeks later I was back at same place,only to see some **** in a BMW X5 come speeding it down the ramp onto the drive,it was only the health and safety guy,bunch of effing Hitlers,they walk around company sites as if they are Gods...
Old 08 June 2013, 11:32 PM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CrisPDuk
The problem isn't with the HSE, it's with the civil courts
+1

Thanks to the Daily Mail, if you want to stop something happening, just blame the HSE and everyone says, damn Elf and Safety! More often than not it's people who can't make a decision or work something out correctly that is causing the problem and the threat of no win, no cost law suits.

Thanks to the Safety Case Regulations (came in after Piper Alpha) we have the safest offshore industry in the world and successfully export this expertise to the rest of the world.

Yes it gets annoying having to put a lid on your tea to walk back to your cabin. But, what does a lid cost - 2p? How much might it cost to helicopter you back to the beach after scalding yourself or slipping on a spill - £5000. That is why seemingly silly things are done. Plus the fact that the Union would then look to sue the employer for not providing or enforcing the use of lids!

Steve
Old 08 June 2013, 11:54 PM
Cpt Jack Sparrow
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan

Old 09 June 2013, 04:13 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

[quote=DYK;11114187]
Originally Posted by Leslie

Les[/

Its been replaced with little health and safety hitlers running companies etc les,doing a fine job of it too
I imagine that the strongest reason for it all is the modern likelihood of people suing for the slightest thing that they feel they can blame on someone else and get a bagful of cash in compensation.

I have to say that I find that sort of attitude very disappointing!

Les
Old 10 June 2013, 12:22 AM
his-n-her-scoobs
Scooby Regular

Not only is it disappointing it is highly damaging to what little industry we have left. Everything is taking longer to do, requires more equipment and therefore costs more. At work we are having trouble getting contractors to even quote for work due to the amount of time they have to spend on site unpaid whilst filling out all the visitors permits, undergoing site induction, kitting out in site regulation PPE etc And don't even get me started on Approved Suppliers. Thank God I'm not a manager anymore.

We already have trouble competing with the far east but, as one of the most H&S conscious countries around, we are rapidly pricing ourselves out of Europe too.

Old 10 June 2013, 12:47 AM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Steve vRS

Thanks to the Safety Case Regulations (came in after Piper Alpha) we have the safest offshore industry in the world and successfully export this expertise to the rest of the world.

Steve
Do the stats back that up? I'm not sure they do? I remember when I was in the North Sea someone got pulled though the mouse hole and someone else was squashed by a container plus six died in a chopper IIRC.

I'm all for stuff like work permit regulations but half of safety culture is just the production of paperwork and people putting on a performance. Too much attrention on finicky stuff like rail holding and decending stairs correctly and lids on cups of tea, but up on the floor it was people screaming at each other and a mad rush to trip pipe and do BHA.

I'll never work in the UK North Sea again, too many cliques on rigs and a bad atmosphere. I don't think it's especially safe and I've worked on ****ty third world rigs, many take their time and that in itself makes things much safer.

I'd rather more focus on critical safety systems like well control, plus lifting and choppers, not complete BS stuff about lids and decending stairs and how you use a fork in the canteen...give me a break.

I realised a while ago that safety culture is primarily about corporate safety., i.e, *** covering. Well control 'training' is the biggest joke going but 'cos you have the paperwork everyone is covered...or at least all blame falls on the employee if things **** up.

Last edited by tony de wonderful; 10 June 2013 at 12:52 AM.
Old 10 June 2013, 02:38 AM
his-n-her-scoobs
Scooby Regular

I realised a while ago that safety culture is primarily about corporate safety., i.e, *** covering. Well control 'training' is the biggest joke going but 'cos you have the paperwork everyone is covered...or at least all blame falls on the employee if things **** up.
Think this is the truth in all our industries now

:/

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Health and safety notice at work