Banned off a different forum! Please give your opinions

Search this Thread

Old 31 May 2013, 07:42 PM
stualex
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Banned off a different forum! Please give your opinions

Hi guys,

I've recently been banned from another Subaru forum and would really appreciate peoples opinions.

There is always a long version but the short is I got banned for trying to arrange a rolling road day for members.

Long version:

I put a post on my local forum (which I'll leave un named) asking if there would be any interest in a rolling road day. Quite a few people showed interest but one of the mods posted saying that the admin team were sorting a RR session for September and all were welcome to attend. They also stated that the company I suggested were fully booked

I wanted to get my car on the rollers sooner so I rang the company and asked if they had any free dates. They told me when they were free so I decided to put a post on my local forum to so what interest there was.

I was doing all this from my mobile at work and when I went back on the forum 30 mins later I couldn't find my post, I assumed I had cocked up on my phone so re did the post.

From this we had 5 names down when the post disappeared again. This time I put up a FOA admin post asking what was happening. I got a response that my threads were removed as the admin team have already arrange RR sessions and there were other events coming up and members would not have the funds or time to attend another event.

Whilst this thread was still active members then started posting asking why I couldn't organise a RR day as there were plenty of members who couldn't attend the ones already arranged.

The response off admin was the same, the club organise the events and have done for years so people should attend those and not arrange their own. This had many baffled and I responded saying I thought it was child like and that surely members should able to decide themselves if they can attend an additional day.

Anyway that thread was deleted then shortly after I was banned for "causing trouble"

I now cannot access the forum where I had met lots of local enthusiasts, I was happy to arrange this day and also a stand at Croft circuit.

Obviously I cannot understand the situation and I swear on my life what I have written above is extremely accurate, I am not a trouble maker, or a keyboard warrior, I don't wind people up and when I am in the wrong I admit it.

I never received any PM or warning that what I was doing would lead to a ban.

Anyway if you've managed to read all that I'd love to know what you think? This has really hit a nerve with me as I have always conducted myself in the correct manner on a forum.

Thanks
Old 31 May 2013, 07:49 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds to me like the mods/admin are a bunch of t0ssers. I would start a splinter group and hijack all of there events with Evos
Old 31 May 2013, 07:52 PM
chris09
Scooby Newbie

Default blah

that will be NESF.

Last edited by Lisawrx; 03 June 2013 at 01:20 AM.
Old 31 May 2013, 07:54 PM
Tony Harrington
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

According to your version bearing in mind there are always two sides it does appear a little harsh, maybe a warning would have been helpful first before a ban!
Old 31 May 2013, 08:01 PM
AndyBaker
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JonMc
Sounds to me like the mods/admin are a bunch of t0ssers. I would start a splinter group and hijack all of there events with Evos
What he said.
Old 31 May 2013, 08:04 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Boo hoo call the police

Old 31 May 2013, 08:05 PM
stualex
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tony Harrington
According to your version bearing in mind there are always two sides it does appear a little harsh, maybe a warning would have been helpful first before a ban!
I know what you mean, there are always 2 sides to a story but nothing sinister has gone on, I didn't do any keyboard bashing and I even asked for one of my threads without details of the RR day to be left up so people could give their opinion on whether we should be able to organise our own days, this thread was also deleted!!

Trending Topics

Old 31 May 2013, 08:07 PM
New_scooby_04

As an experienced Mod. I'd offer the following.

There are a few issues here:

Is it unreasonable for forum admin to exercise a monopoly on an event to the disadvantage of the forum users. I'd argue, yes, but it's their prerogative as it's their forum!

Is it unreasonable for them to take punitive action against you for not adhering to their requests for you to toe the line with respect to their judgement on a matter even if you don't personally agree with it. No it isn't, but there is mitigation here: you didn't re-post in defiance of their original request, it was the result of a technical issue. This should have been taken into account, assuming you politely explained this. But again, if they choose to ignore this, that's their prerogative as it's their forum!

Should you be penalised for the fact that something you did instigated questions about forum policy. No, you shouldn't. But again, if they choose to do this, that's their prerogative as it's their forum!

As an experienced Mod (and with the important proviso that I don't know the other side of the story and whether you conducted yourself in a polite way) I'd say you've been hard done by, but don't expect any support you get on here to amount to anything in terms of being re-instated on that forum. The point I keep coming back to: their forum, their rules.

Just enjoy SN: we're the best anyway!!
Old 31 May 2013, 08:12 PM
stualex
Scooby Regular

I agree, their forum their rules. I had explained the reason I posted twice was that I thought there had been an error. I wasn't to know as I wasn't being informed. I realise that discussing it on here will have no baring on the other forum but I wanted to vent off a bit. A couple of the lads of the forum text me with regards to my deleted threads and to me being banned and were just as amazed as me.

I wouldn't be so bothered but I was good having a local forum and I'd met a few cracking people.

You never know, we may hear another side if one of the mods are on here?!
Old 31 May 2013, 08:13 PM
stualex
Scooby Regular

And yes SN is an excellent forum (hence why I subscribe) and the one I always use but having a local forum was great for local meets and trading.
Old 31 May 2013, 08:20 PM
stualex
Scooby Regular

This was the first reply from a mod when I asked if anyone was interested in a RR day:

J+++++y arranges the rolling road days and is looking at September as there is stuff going on up until then but Motoscope is also booked pretty much solidly.

I rang Motorscope and got a free weekend in 3 weeks time which seemed to instantly fit in with other members.

I didn't take the above post from the mod as "no you can't" so thats when I started a new thread with the date, prices and list. This was the one that was getting deleted with no explanation.
Old 31 May 2013, 08:23 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

sounds like this to me

Old 31 May 2013, 08:26 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Does Gary Lineker own a Subaru ?
Old 31 May 2013, 08:27 PM
ReallyReallyGoodMeat
Scooby Regular

The mod sounds like a child, not wanting other kids to make their own game but must play with them instead. Sounds like you are better off hanging out with the 'grownups' on here
Old 31 May 2013, 08:28 PM
stualex
Scooby Regular

If I'm honest my last post on the forum read something like:

"For those wondering where my RR thread has gone its been deleted for reasons I wont go into. I will still be arranging it but any members wishing to attend will have to get persmission from admin as they may not have enough pocket money left".

That might have been the nail in my coffin.
Old 31 May 2013, 08:31 PM
scooberuni
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

There's always TTS
Their forum isn't exactly on fire but they do have
a monthly meet and a monthly run out too.
Old 31 May 2013, 08:32 PM
stualex
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scooberuni
There's always TTS
Their forum isn't exactly on fire but they do have
a monthly meet and a monthly run out too.
Would I be allowed to arrange a meet without someone chucking their toys out of the pram?
Old 31 May 2013, 08:35 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105

Location: Newcastle. 330bhp-289lb/ft @ 1bar boost - 12.4s @ 105mph
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Not keen on Motoscope to be honest from having heard thing since the last time I was there, Jamie @ EvoTune seems to have a decent rep for his rolling road.
Old 31 May 2013, 08:36 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105

Location: Newcastle. 330bhp-289lb/ft @ 1bar boost - 12.4s @ 105mph
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by stualex
Would I be allowed to arrange a meet without someone chucking their toys out of the pram?
Aye.
Old 31 May 2013, 08:37 PM
stualex
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mickywrx
Not keen on Motoscope to be honest from having heard thing since the last time I was there, Jamie @ EvoTune seems to have a decent rep for his rolling road.
Evotune were mentioned on my original thread and were instantly slated by the mods:

http://nesf.forumotion.co.uk/t15681-rolling-road-day
Old 31 May 2013, 08:49 PM
The Dogs B******s
Scooby Regular

Tell'em to f*ck off, w*nkers.
Old 31 May 2013, 08:54 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

I've been banned from a few. When mods get up themselves my reaction is not to back down, its to utterly rip the pi55 out of them.

It doesn't work very well...

But I don't care ;-)
Old 31 May 2013, 08:57 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did someone mention a Mrs Midlife Crisis?

Didn't realise I had a virtual wife as well

Shaun
Old 31 May 2013, 10:58 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

It's only some pokey car forum. Tell the admin to get fcuked and just get the good guy's phone numbers to maintain contact.

I remember something similar with the clown outfit that was NYSOC IIRC. Meets were all formal like a frigging council board meeting. Loads of bollocks. Meets are/were for looking at cars and chatting to mates. ***** to the politics or 'he said/she said'.

Old 31 May 2013, 11:22 PM
Boro
Scooby Regular

Start your own forum ;-)
Old 31 May 2013, 11:23 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

ive been banned from here several times.

all moderators are internet ****'s lol
Old 31 May 2013, 11:28 PM
RICHARD J
Scooby Regular

LMFAO, what a bunch of p****s. They have shown how pathetic they are & I'd be glad to be banned so I couldn't venture into their pathetic world again. Ha!.
Old 31 May 2013, 11:42 PM
legb4rsk
Scooby Regular

Location: If you're not braking or accelerating you're wasting time.

Makes me wonder if there is any 'financial arrangement' between the mods & the garage they arrange it with.
Old 31 May 2013, 11:45 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

So what are the forum/club rules?

Is there anything written in there saying that all events must be officially organised by club/forum?

Are there any stickies or threads stating this?

If none of that is mentioned anywhere. Then how are you (or others) expected to know?

And if you do question it, then its because of the above lack of clarity.

SN's rules page isn't 5000+ words for the sheer hell of it (5226 to be precise ), its there to help ensure everyone (me included) knows where the lines are drawn.

I probably can see how carrying on questioning their "events only organised by admin" rule could be seen as "trouble making", as you already had been told. But a permanent ban? seriously? That's a bit harsh.

To me it looks like someone wanted you to STFU, and took the easy option by banning you rather than take the time explain themselves properly and help you and other members understand why they have that rule in place. Banning is a very tempting tool for mods to cop out from properly dealing with people being "difficult".

Last edited by ALi-B; 31 May 2013 at 11:47 PM.
Old 31 May 2013, 11:52 PM
New_scooby_04

Wink

Originally Posted by ALi-B
So what are the forum/club rules?

Is there anything written in there saying that all events must be officially organised by club/forum?

Are there any stickies or threads stating this?

If none of that is mentioned anywhere. Then how are you (or others) expected to know?

And if you do question it, then its because of the above lack of clarity.

SN's rules page isn't 5000+ words for the sheer hell of it (5226 to be precise ), its there to help ensure everyone (me included) knows where the lines are drawn.

I probably can see how carrying on questioning their "events only organised by admin" rule could be seen as "trouble making", as you already had been told. But a permanent ban? seriously? That's a bit harsh.

To me it looks like someone wanted you to STFU, and took the easy option by banning you rather than take the time explain themselves properly and help you and other members understand why they have that rule in place. Banning is a very tempting tool for mods to cop out from properly dealing with people being "difficult".

Quick Reply: Banned off a different forum! Please give your opinions