Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

bedroom tax

Search this Thread

Old 31 March 2013, 06:29 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default bedroom tax

just seen all the protests about this which is due to come into force tommorow.
anyone else think its actually a good thing.
if you want an extra room get of your *** and get a job like the rest of us.
the benefits system is supposed to be a safety net not to provide luxuries to the lazy and feckless.
Old 31 March 2013, 06:33 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Received 495 Likes on 339 Posts

a friend of mine got made redundant and has now had to move to a shared house because of this bedroom tax farse

its easy to say go get a job but there is hardly any work out there and so many people without work going for the same job

leave the eu,get rid of all the immigrants and we should have no need to treat the british public like this
Old 31 March 2013, 06:34 PM
The Pink Ninja
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A lot of it depends on the individuals circumstances but I agree to an extent for the lazy *******....get a job, I remember this or something like it years ago and the way rou d it was to get the landlord to put a lock on the room in question and it is no longer yours...Even if you have the key !!!
Old 31 March 2013, 06:44 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Originally Posted by the shreksta
a friend of mine got made redundant and has now had to move to a shared house because of this bedroom tax farse

its easy to say go get a job but there is hardly any work out there and so many people without work going for the same job

leave the eu,get rid of all the immigrants and we should have no need to treat the british public like this

i agree about the job situation, but my point is if you have no job the benefits system is there to help you until you get another.
i think its a good step forward to stopping the benefit culture in the uk.

your right about the eu though
Old 31 March 2013, 06:55 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bit sick to repeatedly hear this called a bedroom tax. Since when has cutting benefits been a tax? A tax is money taken from profitable work.... People just basically lying to try and win a point
Old 31 March 2013, 06:57 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

Amazing, when you think if you use a bedroom as an office it's tax deductible - therefore the government pay you!
Old 31 March 2013, 06:59 PM
Aaron1978
Scooby Regular

I haven't really read/seen much about this only heard bits, but what is to stop people having children to fill this spare bedroom or has this been thought of?
Old 31 March 2013, 07:00 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Originally Posted by zip106
Amazing, when you think if you use a bedroom as an office it's tax deductible - therefore the government pay you!

but you need a job to do that which is really what this "tax" is all about oh and the government being scared and actually listening to the voter for a change as they are all going to vote ukip.
Old 31 March 2013, 07:15 PM
Emmaroids
BANNED

Its for anyone claiming housing benefit. I work full time but i do get abit of help from my local council to help pay my rent so no doubt i will get charged. Just wish they'd target the work shy instead of people trying to support themselves who actually work.
Old 31 March 2013, 07:29 PM
theboy
Scooby Regular

We have a culture that seems to think not working is actualy a way of life, those out of work should not be better off than those that do work. Lots of people work long hours on low wages and yet others think that its ok for them to sit at home watching their sky tv and be paid by the goverment.
Old 31 March 2013, 07:29 PM
Kwik
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Emmaroids
Its for anyone claiming housing benefit. I work full time but i do get abit of help from my local council to help pay my rent so no doubt i will get charged. Just wish they'd target the work shy instead of people trying to support themselves who actually work.
It has done just that in my case. This time 6 months ago we lived in a 2 bed, with my 3 in one bedroom, now we've swapped with a couple for a 4 bed house. They were moving to avoid paying this tax. I think it was a way of getting people out with houses they didn't need or pushing them to buy.
It means I need to work 6 days a week but its worth it.
Old 31 March 2013, 07:39 PM
theboy
Scooby Regular

The women in the papers son died at Hillsboro and she has kept his room as a shrine to him, she dosnt work and is going to be £20 a week worse off. Im sorry but just because he died at Hillsboro does not give you a serious case. If you want to stay in the house take the hit in your own pocket or why not give working a go
Old 31 March 2013, 07:39 PM
Emmaroids
BANNED

Originally Posted by theboy
We have a culture that seems to think not working is actualy a way of life, those out of work should not be better off than those that do work. Lots of people work long hours on low wages and yet others think that its ok for them to sit at home watching their sky tv and be paid by the goverment.
very true

Originally Posted by Kwik
It has done just that in my case. This time 6 months ago we lived in a 2 bed, with my 3 in one bedroom, now we've swapped with a couple for a 4 bed house. They were moving to avoid paying this tax. I think it was a way of getting people out with houses they didn't need or pushing them to buy.
Yeah i understand that just makes me mad that last year i worked overtime, over the year that accumulated to an extra 400 and my housing benefit was halved because of it, so now i cant even work extra to treat my kids to days out etc. Theres got to be something else that can be done to work hand in hand with the bedroom tax.
Old 31 March 2013, 07:43 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Originally Posted by Kwik

your working to support your family, this is the way it should be.
so the tax is working.
Old 31 March 2013, 07:51 PM
Kwik
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Emmaroids
very true

Yeah i understand that just makes me mad that last year i worked overtime, over the year that accumulated to an extra 400 and my housing benefit was halved because of it, so now i cant even work extra to treat my kids to days out etc. Theres got to be something else that can be done to work hand in hand with the bedroom tax.
So I take it you have an extra bedroom you will be getting taxed on?
Old 31 March 2013, 08:09 PM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

I pretty much agree with the "bedroom tax"
What I do wonder about though is what about elderly people living in for example a 2 bedroom flat on housing benefit?
The issue I guess is that there's probably very few 1 bedroom flats or similar available, I'm sure not enough to fill demand on this scheme so what happens there?
It's a genuine question.
Old 31 March 2013, 08:12 PM
The Pink Ninja
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tubbytommy
your working to support your family, this is the way it should be.
so the tax is working.
You and Kwik are agreeing on something, I think it's about time you two got a bedroom
Old 31 March 2013, 08:19 PM
Kwik
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jamescsti
I pretty much agree with the "bedroom tax"
What I do wonder about though is what about elderly people living in for example a 2 bedroom flat on housing benefit?
The issue I guess is that there's probably very few 1 bedroom flats or similar available, I'm sure not enough to fill demand on this scheme so what happens there?
It's a genuine question.
There's all kind of stupid loop holes. For example my eldest stays with us at weekends so didn't "count" so we had to write to our local MP for agreement, whereas this couple were entitled to a 2 bed because their dogs needed somewhere to sleep.

Originally Posted by GAZ2293
You and Kwik are agreeing on something, I think it's about time you two got a bedroom
As long as he pays the tax.
Old 31 March 2013, 08:25 PM
Adrian F
Scooby Regular

I believe if you are in work then you are exempt from this new rule

also everybody seems to forget that people in work are having to give up things they want as so much of their wages are now taken in tax to support people on benefits. These sort of rules should be applied to people on long term benefits.

Having said that they need to put more effort in making sure that people with disabilities are not impacted by this.

As said above the main reason for an increase in demand for large houses is the immigrants on the social housing lists it should be that anybody moving to this country have to live here for 5 years being in work and paying tax before they are allowed to go on the housing list or free NHS or free education then pension should be based on what they pay in tax and no other benefits to top up. basicly you get out what you pay in
Old 31 March 2013, 08:34 PM
-shane-
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by the shreksta

Totally disagree there is work about I'm often seeing jobs being advertised for anyone saying there is no work or can't get a job open your eyes there is always work somewhere, maybe a job that you don't want but money is money
Old 31 March 2013, 08:38 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

I sometimes wish I lived in a council house instead of a mortgaged one, I'd be able to afford still running my Subaru then

Reduce in benefit for spare bedrooms, good idea IMO.
Old 31 March 2013, 08:52 PM
madscoob
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i read somewhere if the extra bedroom is less than 96cubic feet it doesn't count as a bedroom anyway, i wonder how many have used that one
Old 31 March 2013, 09:30 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by zip106
Zip can you tell me how to claim this. Do you know about how to claim for washing work uniform too..

In my house hold the amount of tax paid is sick so we deserve something back.
Old 31 March 2013, 10:52 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

My accountant does it for me.
Old 01 April 2013, 01:38 AM
chopperman
Scooby Regular

Trouble is people think social housing is a right for life. This attitude has been made worse by expensive house prices making buying or private renting far to expensive for some. There are young family's on waiting lists for years to get a house while there are couples or a single person living in a house with 3 or more bedrooms. They no longer need this size house as there family have grown up and left but because they have lived there for years and its there home they forget its not there house, its social housing.
Because of the banking crisis and there refusal to lend plus the 165k average house price home ownership is on the decline. This means the need for more social housing will increase drasticly over the coming years. The country can not afford to build endless housing. Bedroom tax is a way of forcing / encouraging people to vacate a much needed property for the next family to inhabit.

The only thing that worries me is how long before they extend this bedroom tax to privately own propertys that they consider is too big for you. Once a law is in place its too easy for them to expand it and abuse it.
Old 01 April 2013, 10:13 AM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

How little do you actually need to earn to get all these benefits?

I went on the govt website last week and put in that I was working 12 hours a week, on min wage, same for my partner. No kids but owned our home. The restult was zero... nada. Now it was just a pie in the sky example but I was shocked to find there was nothing. Now I guess if I put down 3 kids it would have been different but I was just wondering how does it all work?

I work full time, and expect nothing. But I know a few people who also work full time and "claim" quite a bit. Its all just a bit confusing to say the least and it does irk me a little. I would never qualify for "benefits" (hate that word) anyway as I have saved for most of my adult life and I have a reasonable income but I just dont get it how almost everyone seems to get some kind of handout from the govt these days. Very strange.
Old 01 April 2013, 12:15 PM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by billythekid
How little do you actually need to earn to get all these benefits?

I went on the govt website last week and put in that I was working 12 hours a week, on min wage, same for my partner. No kids but owned our home. The restult was zero... nada. Now it was just a pie in the sky example but I was shocked to find there was nothing. Now I guess if I put down 3 kids it would have been different but I was just wondering how does it all work?

I work full time, and expect nothing. But I know a few people who also work full time and "claim" quite a bit. Its all just a bit confusing to say the least and it does irk me a little. I would never qualify for "benefits" (hate that word) anyway as I have saved for most of my adult life and I have a reasonable income but I just dont get it how almost everyone seems to get some kind of handout from the govt these days. Very strange.
I feel the same way, loads of people who work reasonable jobs claiming actual benefits, working tax credits child tax credit etc. I never even claimed child benefit until my son was 3 and that was only because I got a fine from the inland revenue and I wanted my money back.
Old 01 April 2013, 03:11 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Its just another way to throw in an extra tax source no doubt thinking that we won't actually notice it or that we accept the reasoning that they have produced in an effort to excuse it.

They were saying that the tax relief for millionaires saves them about £2K a week! Is that really true?

Les
Old 01 April 2013, 03:18 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Originally Posted by Leslie
Its just another way to throw in an extra tax source no doubt thinking that we won't actually notice it or that we accept the reasoning that they have produced in an effort to excuse it.

They were saying that the tax relief for millionaires saves them about £2K a week! Is that really true?

Les

but surely they are taxing the non working who dont pay tax anyway.
Old 01 April 2013, 06:40 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

I have 3 empty rooms in my house how long before they screw people with morgages for not using their rooms

Quick Reply: bedroom tax