Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

New Ebay Scam.

Search this Thread

Old 27 March 2013, 08:24 PM
Boro
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Ebay Scam.

This one wasn't quite convincing enough to catch me out but iI haven't come across it before.

You bid on a car but don't win. Then get an email (not a message) supposedly from Ebay offering a second chance offer with a message from the seller with some story about being away in the isle of skye, blah blah blah.

The email isn't from Ebay as no inbox messages are received.

Guessing the car advert is genuine as is the seller but still not sure how they got my email address from just placing a bid.

Any ideas?
Old 27 March 2013, 10:33 PM
flat4 to the floor
Scooby Regular

That one has been around for sometime to be honest.It goes like this,the ad can be genuine BUT then the account is hacked or the account is hacked already and ad is placed.Then they have another account that put silly money on it (£1,000,000 silly) then once bids have been placed no one had a chance of winning,the hacked account is then used again to display the email adresses of all bidders.Then onto an email account to second chance everyone who had bid.I bid on another impreza from scotland last year using my account on iphone at work and if i got outbid without knowing as i was at work my other half bid using her account.we didnt win it but both got a second chance email.when i rang the seller back after i had spoken to him days earlier to ask why he had emailed both my accounts with big gaps in bids he went to log on and couldnt.He had been hacked.
Old 27 March 2013, 11:11 PM
Boro
Scooby Regular

So all bidders email addresses are available to the seller?
Old 28 March 2013, 12:52 PM
Boro
Scooby Regular

Playing the game with them at the moment and they've given me a Lloyds bank account number and sort code. Checked it out and it is a genuine Lloyds sort code so rang Lloyds and they aren't interested in investigating.

Shocking!
Old 29 March 2013, 08:01 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by flat4 to the floor
That one has been around for sometime to be honest.It goes like this,the ad can be genuine BUT then the account is hacked or the account is hacked already and ad is placed.Then they have another account that put silly money on it (£1,000,000 silly) then once bids have been placed no one had a chance of winning,the hacked account is then used again to display the email adresses of all bidders.Then onto an email account to second chance everyone who had bid.I bid on another impreza from scotland last year using my account on iphone at work and if i got outbid without knowing as i was at work my other half bid using her account.we didnt win it but both got a second chance email.when i rang the seller back after i had spoken to him days earlier to ask why he had emailed both my accounts with big gaps in bids he went to log on and couldnt.He had been hacked.
Originally Posted by Boro
So all bidders email addresses are available to the seller?

no.. that's the point of the ebay message system ..
Old 30 March 2013, 02:35 AM
Boro
Scooby Regular

I didn't think so either. Not sure how they got my email address.
Old 30 March 2013, 10:05 AM
flat4 to the floor
Scooby Regular

If you are the seller of an item,(or the hacker) you can go onto the bids placed page and in the top left corner a drop down box clearly states "show email addresses".