Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Speed bumps and 20mph zones

Search this Thread

Old 25 March 2013, 11:53 PM
supa
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speed bumps and 20mph zones

Everyday am seeing more of these all over the place. I mean the roads are that bad with pot holes and creators do we even need them. Ok I can understand outside a school or old people's home. The scoobs suspension and low profile tyres don't really help either.

Then why a mile in each flipping direction. Then the council complain there no money to repair the roads. Is there anything that is going to change and the government make a u turn on this policy.

Rant over.
Old 26 March 2013, 12:35 AM
Lisawrx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What annoys me most, is that they don't seem to work for the most part.

I live on a street two streets away from a school, yet ours was the first to get speed bumps. This was done, although as far as I'm aware, there has only ever been one accident on this road (no pedestrians involved) and that was years ago, so I was quite unsure as to why the council felt it necessary to litter the road with speed bumps. However, paying more attention to the way people drive, many on the school run with kids in the car, I can perhaps see what they were trying to do. It clearly hasn't worked.

The amount of people that fly up and down the street at the very time of day when kids are likely to be about is madness. Down is worse, as due to parking, they are already on the wrong side of the road approaching a blind corner (often with vehicles parked there). I've seen many near misses.

I suppose what I'm saying, is people need to learn to drive sensibly, but 20mph zones and all the speed bumps in the world in my experience don't make any difference.
Old 26 March 2013, 12:42 AM
ScoobyDriverWannabe
Scooby Regular

The nuggets decided to put them along the sea front of a village near me.

There had been priority traffic calming measures in place for years that worked fine. Must have cost them a fortune removing them and installing these speed bumps.

Everybody complained and allot of people stopped visiting the area to do shopping etc. So after 12 months or so the eventually removed most of them.

The hippy cycling **** that decided to install them should of been sacked, bet they had never even visited the area yet decided they were needed.

They drove tourists away from the sea front and sent locals making detours through residential areas to avoid them.

Didn't matter how slow you went or how you approached them your car was all over the place.

Last edited by ScoobyDriverWannabe; 26 March 2013 at 12:47 AM.
Old 26 March 2013, 09:35 AM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

Back in the day the "20 Zone" laws came in via the back door really. No one seemed to notice or care much. But the reality is that councils can now put 20 Zones where ever they want - but the problem is a "Zone" has to have speed calming every 50m. So its a PITA for drivers / residents.

Very little in terms of planning or public consulation is required.. as in none!

A 20mph speed limit is different and does require planning etc etc.

So its a nice little way to keep budgets topped off. The LA have just put another stretch in near me, just at the end of the FY of course... yet the next road along is filled with 6 inch deep pot holes... clever...
Old 26 March 2013, 12:41 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Where I live has always had the massive speed humps that cover the whole road and now they have dropped the limit to 20mph as well. I dont think there is any need for the drop in tbe limit as you cant go fast due to the size of the speed humps and there is no schools near. In fact the only schools that are close still have the 30mph limit, go figure eh.
Old 26 March 2013, 01:07 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Got speed bumps on the road outside my house. These have been put in about 20 years ago due to a then small child not being supervised falling into the road and nearly getting run over.
So the neighbours (Including the ones that weren't supervising their small child with a house that's right next to this main road,) decided we needed speed calming measures. But the speed bumps are very shallow and the road is supposed to have a load measure of up to 7.5 tonnes. This has meant that we still get road racers still speeding as the road humps are next to useless, and to make it worse that heavy goods lorries that hit these speed humps do so to make the house foundations shake also due to the heavy traffic the road humps also have pot holes in them.
Old 26 March 2013, 02:30 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

I don't understand why in a 30 limit they install humps that require you to slow to 20, then accelerate again

Virtually the whole of Warrington's residential areas will be 20 zones within a couple of years Going to be good for suspension suppliers.
Old 26 March 2013, 03:44 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I am the first to accept that there are certainly places that should have a 20 mph limit for safety reasons.

I find speed humps really objectional, I hate the loads which are put into the suspension and chassis of my car even when reversing them slowly as I always do. It does put permanent damage into a car over a period of time.

I often see really stupid people virtually getting airborne over speed humps which I reckon is even more dangerous anyway.

Yes of course people should slow down for places such as schools and where there are elderly people etc., so I say put some speedcams up and hit them for six if they are caught.

Les
Old 26 March 2013, 04:14 PM
Adrian F
Scooby Regular

Quite simple nobody in government believes car drivers have rights, we can find billions to build a railway which will need subsidised tickets but no public money to build motorways so all new motorways will be toll roads

busy roads are used as a reason to impose extra charges in form of tolls busy railways are used as a reason not to increase fares above inflation yet all train fares are already subsidised and yet the car contributes billions each year in tax revenue