Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Halfrauds

Search this Thread

Old 24 March 2013, 08:54 AM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Halfrauds

I've a blown bulb on my work hack (08 Astra) so as I was nearby I popped into Halfrauds to check on a new one. As there were several different types (colours, power etc) I thought I'd ask a sales guy how mine releases (I've a bad back at the moment and didn't want to spend more time than necessary laying on the floor fiddling about inside the wheel arch). His response was "we can fit it for you for £6.99". No, I just asked on how it was removed and he again said "we can fit it for you for 6.99". My response was perhaps a bit uncalled for with "you can poke it up your **** as I'm not paying £6.99 for a 2 minute job". He told me good luck paying a garage £40 then lol. I bought it elsewhere at around a third of the price and fitted it in 5 minutes. So to Halfrauds.
Old 24 March 2013, 09:29 AM
cuprajake
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

He probably didn't know. They fitted my mates h4 bulbs upside down. Breaking off the spring clip so they would fit. Lol
Old 24 March 2013, 09:42 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You're giving **** to a guy on basic wage doing a job he probably hates, rather than claiming benefits.
Old 24 March 2013, 09:51 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Wouldn't your employer be paying anyway ?

I should get a new job if they're that tight
Old 24 March 2013, 09:55 AM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

I can't wait until my headlight lamp blows on my Vectra VXR, I'll happily pay them 6.99 to fit it :L lol!

Its a whole front end off jobby. Well worth 7quid
Old 24 March 2013, 11:21 AM
CharlySkunkWeed
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

^^^^^^^ always wondered about that ! The only downside of watching a Halfords numptie trying to do it for £6.99 , is the fact you are letting a numptie take your car apart !
Old 24 March 2013, 12:07 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I let then fit a bulb in an MGZR once as it was a little tight to say the least, best £6.99 I have ever spent and the chap was quite pleasant too.

I have no problem in using peoples services (and paying for them at a reasonable rate) if they can do something I cannot or am not willing to do at that time.

It's what keeps businesses going after all.
Old 24 March 2013, 12:43 PM
CharlySkunkWeed
Scooby Regular

They have never ballsed something up on you , obviously.
Old 24 March 2013, 12:49 PM
saints_forever
Scooby Regular

If you're going to let them fit it atleast get your money's worth. I got two bulbs on their BOGOF deal and they charged £6.99 to change them both, so fitted the free one for free. What I didn't tell them is the caps on the lights were jammed and the bonnet catch needed greasing and was a b***h to close down. The guy who changed them ended up taking out the induction feed and the battery to create room to remove the caps and then sorted out my bonnet catch. Was well worth the £6.99 IMO.
Old 24 March 2013, 01:00 PM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pimmo2000
You're giving **** to a guy on basic wage doing a job he probably hates, rather than claiming benefits.
He works in the cycle department usually and why would he hate his job? As for claiming benefits, why would he be, he's fit and healthy and should be working like the rest of us.

Originally Posted by dpb
Wouldn't your employer be paying anyway ?

I should get a new job if they're that tight
I supply my own car, and yes, I'm that tight.

Originally Posted by PaulC72
I let then fit a bulb in an MGZR once as it was a little tight to say the least, best £6.99 I have ever spent and the chap was quite pleasant too.

I have no problem in using peoples services (and paying for them at a reasonable rate) if they can do something I cannot or am not willing to do at that time.

It's what keeps businesses going after all.
I'm perfectly capable of changing the bulbs. I just asked for advice on how the bulb releases and he wasn't willing to tell me, rather he just wanted to cream an extra £6.99 to fit their (overpriced) bulb!
Old 24 March 2013, 01:35 PM
saints_forever
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gpssti4
He works in the cycle department usually and why would he hate his job?
Why would you knowingly ask somebody a car related question when you're fully aware they have been trained and usually work in a different department (cycles)? He's probably been trained to tell you what he did as he's not qualified in giving advice outside his 'expertise'. Granted, he maybe should have referred you elsewhere!
Old 24 March 2013, 01:49 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

TBH I thick your expecting far too much from Halfords....

In fairness how do you expect a shelf stacker/sales assistant to know how a light bulb fits on every make and model car?

For example on my Golf the bumper has to be removed, same with Megane IIs (unless you are a contortionist with hands the size of a toddler and able to work blind). I know this becuase I work at a Garage not a motor factors. No mator factor be it Halfords, Euro Car Parts, or Andrew Page etc will be able to specifically tell you "how" a part fits. All they can do is tell you what is the correct part from their parts listings...those listings don't have fitting instrctions.

Now their fitting service...different kettle of fish. The staff doing that job "should" have an idea. But in all probabilty if its not a car they've worked on before they won't give you a straight answer until they actually attempt to replace the bulb themselves.

Last edited by ALi-B; 24 March 2013 at 01:58 PM.
Old 24 March 2013, 01:50 PM
DYK
Scooby Regular

I used to order my bulbs from this place.http://www.google.co.uk/aclk?sa=l&ai...=j&q=car+bulbs Got xenons now though....
Old 24 March 2013, 01:58 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B

In fairness how do you expect a shelf stacker/sales assistant to know how a light bulb fits on every make and model car?

For example on my Golf the bumper has to be removed, same with Megane IIs. I know this becuase I work at a Garage not a motor factors. No mator factor be it Halfords, Euro Car Parts, or Andrew Page etc will be able to specifically tell you "how" a part fits. All they can do is tell you what is the correct part from their parts listings...those listings don't have fitting instrctions.

Now their fitting service...different kettle of fish. The staff doing that job "should" have an idea. But in all probabilty if its not a car they've worked on before they won't give you a straight answer until they actually attempt to replace the bulb themselves.
Ali, you would be amazed how many garage workers don't know either
Old 24 March 2013, 02:06 PM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by saints_forever
Why would you knowingly ask somebody a car related question when you're fully aware they have been trained and usually work in a different department (cycles)? He's probably been trained to tell you what he did as he's not qualified in giving advice outside his 'expertise'. Granted, he maybe should have referred you elsewhere!
..... because he asked if I needed any help. When I asked him I expected him to either say that he would find out or have an idea himself - it's a motor factor after all and not a shoe shop. I would expect him to have some idea - which he did just that he didn't want to tell me.

Originally Posted by ALi-B

For example on my Golf the bumper has to be removed, same with Megane IIs. I know this becuase I work at a Garage not a motor factors. No mator factor be it Halfords, Euro Car Parts, or Andrew Page etc will be able to specifically tell you "how" a part fits. All they can do is tell you what is the correct part from their parts listings...those listings don't have fitting instrctions.

I didn't expect him to know necessarily, but I thought he'd be a bit more helpful than only saying that they can do it for me, especially when I stated that I only wanted a pointer as I had a bad back. He could of been more helpful and asked someone else, but he wasn't interested. I went elsewhere and they were great as always - Mill Auto in Penzance.
Yes, mk4 Golf's are a bugger to work on when it comes to replacing the headlight bulbs. Luckily, in the 4 years I had one they never needed changing.
Old 24 March 2013, 02:18 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by PaulC72
Ali, you would be amazed how many garage workers don't know either
I can belive it.

Problem is, at many garages the job of changing light bulbs is often given to the apprentice/trainee. Now if he's still pretty new (or an idiot), isn't supervised and has to work fast becuase the customer is waiting (or better...standing behind watching ), chances are he'll f**k it up.

I have a nice little anectdote of a guy with a Mercesdes B-class that wanted his beam aim adapted so he can drive on the continent. Now he read the owners manual and realised this was possible without needing any stickers on the headlamps....so off he trundled to a Mercesdes dealership to get them to do it. They said it wasn't possible.

I don't know if it was a fob-off becuase its a little bit fiddly to get at the levers or they just didn't have a clue.

But put it this way, he ended dealing with us because he just bought some stick on adpaters and wanted them fitted. Now I know most high-end(ish) BMs and Mercs of that age range with halogen projectors (and non-adaptive HIDs) don't need stickers, so decided to take a look to confirm this. I pulled the covers off the back of the headlamps, looked inside via my dentist's mirror (god send), found the lever, pushed it over, re-checked the the beam pattern, all ok, job done. It took longer for me to find the bonnet release lever

Last edited by ALi-B; 24 March 2013 at 02:20 PM.
Old 24 March 2013, 02:36 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

i dont see the problem, they offer a service with a charge up front and clear.
if you can do it yourself than thats fine but for those who cant its a quick easy fix.
take it to the main dealers and get a fitted price and i bet its more than 6.99.
Old 24 March 2013, 03:12 PM
CharlySkunkWeed
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tubbytommy
i dont see the problem, they offer a service with a charge up front and clear.
if you can do it yourself than thats fine but for those who cant its a quick easy fix.
take it to the main dealers and get a fitted price and i bet its more than 6.99.
Hang on a min , is that TT defending Halfords ? What if they are fitting a DV for £6.99 !
Old 24 March 2013, 03:14 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Originally Posted by CharlySkunkWeed
Hang on a min , is that TT defending Halfords ? What i they are fitting a DV for £6.99 !
ahh my stalker, greetings.

i dont use the place but they offer a service quite cheap to the unskilled in car maintenance.

its laughable to those of us with mechanical skill but to a women with a blown headlight bulb no doubt useful.

Last edited by tubbytommy; 24 March 2013 at 03:20 PM.
Old 24 March 2013, 03:18 PM
CharlySkunkWeed
Scooby Regular

greetings
Old 24 March 2013, 06:33 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Nothing like being unpleasantly rude to someone when they are offering to help you!

Les
Old 24 March 2013, 06:51 PM
CharlySkunkWeed
Scooby Regular

Except he didnt help much .
Old 24 March 2013, 07:23 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

I remember letting them do a front fog light on my cavalier gsi when it was 2 inches off the floor. Took him forever to try and get his hand under the bumper, undo the screw twist the cap and then sturggling to put the bulb in the clips.

Was the best 40mins of my life.. He was defeated and needed a jack.
Old 24 March 2013, 07:28 PM
Fonzey
Scooby Regular

Really worth being a dick to the lad for 6.99?
Old 24 March 2013, 07:50 PM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
Nothing like being unpleasantly rude to someone when they are offering to help you!

Les
Originally Posted by Fonzey
Really worth being a dick to the lad for 6.99?
I asked for advice, twice, not for them to fit the bulb. I made it clear that's all I wanted and was met with an obtuse answer; we can fit it for £6.99. I already knew that as I can read. Usually I'm rather polite, but this just boiled my p*ss as he was being intentionally unhelpful.
Old 24 March 2013, 10:19 PM
Mouser
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie

Les
Exactly! Either you should be pleasantly rude or not at all
Old 25 March 2013, 12:49 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

I don't think he was being unintentionally helpful.

It's like going calling a plumber round and asking how to repair a leaking tap - you don't want him to actually do it or pay for it, you just want him to talk you through for nowt.

Given he wouldn't see the money, he's hardly creaming it for £6.99 but he wouldn't have any idea on an 08 Astra so I think you were a bit harsh on the lad.

Right about the price though. Needs must in terms of paying the price if they don't have a BOGOF on.
Old 25 March 2013, 12:59 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mouser
Exactly! Either you should be pleasantly rude or not at all

That was the first thing that popped into my receding cranium too

Graham is a pleasant chap and I have no reason to think he'd have been unnecessarily rude. Hell, the favours he's done for me prove that (just don't ask me to fit that bulb mate ).
Old 25 March 2013, 01:14 PM
classic Subaru Si
Scooby Regular

Why the hell should he tell you how to fit something, so that you can go home and do it for nowt? Yeah, great business sense that........
Old 25 March 2013, 01:18 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by fivetide
I don't think he was being unintentionally helpful.

intentionally unhelpful?

Quick Reply: Halfrauds