Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Having a clearout, so much in the bin??

Search this Thread

Old 07 March 2013, 02:30 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Having a clearout, so much in the bin??

Pioneer DVD717, £500 new, now worthless. Okay they go for £20 on Ebay, but i can't be bothered for £20.
Also analogue radio, rubbish compared to DAB (5 live), old freeview box, now built in, or freeview HD.
Amps and speakers retain value, the rest, buy in the knowledge it will soon be obsolete.

Also have a load of sporting autobiographies, on ebay hardly worth selling, so many on there, people making a quid at most.

Clothes to the charity shop,........sorted.
Old 07 March 2013, 02:38 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

When we've had a clearout (either our stuff or our sons stuff), some bits go to the charity shop as we've had bargains from there before. Some goes in the attic incase we have another child in the future (most his 0-24 months clothes etc in boxes). If a relative is doing a carboot we get rid that way or use some Facebook selling pages too. Very little goes in the bin, but, £20 is a lot of money to me so maybe worth just lobbing it out if it's not worth your hassle for a few quid
Old 07 March 2013, 02:50 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

We are seriously considering moving and the thought of clearing out all our stuff is daunting. I'll have to do most of it on my own with my wife ill - some would think we are crazy while she is ill but she isn't going to get better and the new place we like would be ideal (wider doors, downstairs shower room). I've even got a model railway layout in the loft and all that will have to come out - we'll be renting our current home.

I think we'll need a skip
Old 07 March 2013, 03:01 PM
hill79
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We had a huge clear out around a year ago when we moved - nightmare! It took ages and involved several trips to the tip (with stuff from the shed) and charity shops but was really worth the effort for less clutter in the new place. We even ditched all our CDs and DVDs since we have digital copies of them all anyway.

I've hung on to my hi-fi stuff, I just can't face sticking an immaculate Technics CD separate on Ebay and getting less than 10% of what I paid for it
Old 07 March 2013, 03:18 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hill79
We had a huge clear out around a year ago when we moved - nightmare! It took ages and involved several trips to the tip (with stuff from the shed) and charity shops but was really worth the effort for less clutter in the new place. We even ditched all our CDs and DVDs since we have digital copies of them all anyway.

I've hung on to my hi-fi stuff, I just can't face sticking an immaculate Technics CD separate on Ebay and getting less than 10% of what I paid for it
Re DVD's digital copies. How does that work? I'd love to ditch my dvd's.
Old 07 March 2013, 03:28 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I know how you feel Paul and the thought of doing the same as you did is frightening!

Les
Old 07 March 2013, 03:32 PM
hill79
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by paulr
Re DVD's digital copies. How does that work? I'd love to ditch my dvd's.
Very similar to ripping a CD really if you've done that. I used WinX DVD Ripper, but there are loads of free programs out there that'll do the same thing. Once I'd copied them all I put them on an portable hard drive, bought one of
these these
(although mines an older version) and plugged it in to the TV. Easy Peasy. CDs and DVDs went to Music Magpie and we got £80 for them, which almost covered the costs of the new setup.
Old 07 March 2013, 03:45 PM
riiidaa
Scooby Regular

don't bin it, car-boot it or waste electrical recycling
Old 07 March 2013, 03:56 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Any preference for charity shops. The British Heart Foundation is local to me. They take clothes, books, and electrical items.

(and have an ebay shop)

Last edited by paulr; 07 March 2013 at 04:01 PM.
Old 07 March 2013, 06:42 PM
rossyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

You'd be amazed at what people buy at car boot sales, if you can be arsed with dealing with some "interesting" people.
Old 08 March 2013, 04:38 AM
DARB
Scooby Regular

I did a car boot many years ago, before I had pulled the handbrake the other "booters" had the boot open and were going through everything
The prices we charged were ridiculous, £15 cycle helmets for 10p etc I just wanted it all gone, and people were still haggling One guy was trying to knock me down on an item, when I said if you take it I'll give you 50p, he walked away mumbling that it must be faulty, it was a step for aerobics with no moving parts after a couple of hours I told the nice couple next to us that we were going and to help themselves to whatever they liked as I was just driving off and leaving the lot, it was quite funny watching the vultures in the rear view mirror until I noticed someone taking my aunties pasting table we had borrowed for the day after calling at B&Q to replace the table with a new one on the way home we were £7.40 down and I vowed never to do or visit one again !!
Old 08 March 2013, 09:27 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Do these places take electrical, not so sure

If so YMCA

Last edited by dpb; 08 March 2013 at 09:29 AM. Reason: Charity
Old 08 March 2013, 01:06 PM
Graz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hill79
Very similar to ripping a CD really if you've done that. I used WinX DVD Ripper, but there are loads of free programs out there that'll do the same thing. Once I'd copied them all I put them on an portable hard drive, bought one of these (although mines an older version) and plugged it in to the TV. Easy Peasy. CDs and DVDs went to Music Magpie and we got £80 for them, which almost covered the costs of the new setup.
Technically if you sold them on you no longer own the rights to view them so you should delete any digital copies that you have.

Else you're a pirate, argghh
Old 08 March 2013, 01:14 PM
oldsplice
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DARB
I did a car boot many years ago, before I had pulled the handbrake the other "booters" had the boot open and were going through everything
The prices we charged were ridiculous, £15 cycle helmets for 10p etc I just wanted it all gone, and people were still haggling One guy was trying to knock me down on an item, when I said if you take it I'll give you 50p, he walked away mumbling that it must be faulty, it was a step for aerobics with no moving parts after a couple of hours I told the nice couple next to us that we were going and to help themselves to whatever they liked as I was just driving off and leaving the lot, it was quite funny watching the vultures in the rear view mirror until I noticed someone taking my aunties pasting table we had borrowed for the day after calling at B&Q to replace the table with a new one on the way home we were £7.40 down and I vowed never to do or visit one again !!

Same here. My mate and I did one a few years ago. The vultures had the hatch open before I'd stopped the car, and were pulling everything out! It was like invasion Of The Body Snatchers!

They were haggling over something costing 20P!! I swore never again, and I haven't done one since. I just stuff everything into the charity bags for British Heart Foundation, or Age UK.
Old 08 March 2013, 01:17 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by oldsplice
or Age UK.

And there goes the Ironic Post of the Week award
Old 08 March 2013, 01:18 PM
oldsplice
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TelBoy
And there goes the Ironic Post of the Week award

Just keeping them sweet, for when the time comes.....
Old 08 March 2013, 01:18 PM
hill79
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Graz
Technically if you sold them on you no longer own the rights to view them so you should delete any digital copies that you have.

Else you're a pirate, argghh
Yes you're right actually... I've just deleted them all *cough*
Old 08 March 2013, 02:57 PM
Flaps
Scooby Regular

I'm not sure if i'll bother with Ebay again for selling. I sold four guitar effect pedals on there recently but when Ebay took their cut, and Paypal did the same and you add on the price of packaging and postage it cost me about £34 to eventually sell that lot!!! I've since found out about these Facebook groups, I think they are the best way to shift things.
Old 09 March 2013, 11:15 AM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

I recently sold my old iPhone on Ebay because I have a new one, now. I think the sale went ok.

If you can't shift any of your stuff, take it to the charity shop. Do your bit of charity, even without any intention. This way, you let others have bargains, too.

I wandered into the Imperial Cancer Research charity shop yesterday. I spotted a really nice, original art work there, and bought it. It now proudly hangs on my office wall.
Old 10 March 2013, 04:16 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

We are quite lucky that we don't buy what we don't need.... Even dvd's and music if we buy it and think will we listen to it again then we keep it. Should have seen the bin men's face when they threw 2 sacks full of VHS in the back of the wagon.
Old 10 March 2013, 05:47 PM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DARB

I remember when my sister did a carboot and she came back fuming at how low she dropped the price of items and the ******* were still haggling.I know she paid about £50.00 for bath salts,scents and herbs and all that bollox what women buy,had it on sale for a tenner,this woman came up and said i'll give you £1.50 for it. A lot of the stuff she had was unused still in the boxes etc wasn't asking silly prices for it,but being haggled to 10p etc,she packed the stuff up and said never again....
Old 10 March 2013, 06:03 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by paulr

Clothes to the charity shop,........sorted.
There are shops thats pay you money for old clothes by the bag (or weight). IIRC the one near me pay 50p a kilo

Last edited by ALi-B; 10 March 2013 at 06:04 PM.
Old 10 March 2013, 06:35 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

There is also freecycle if you don't want something. I've given lots of things away on there rather than take it down the dump: http://www.uk.freecycle.org.

It takes a second to send the email and if no-one has replied with a day or so then bin it, but it generally goes...
Old 14 March 2013, 01:05 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Marantz-RC...item2ec6efbec9

Here's one example of my love of classic technology.

Check other items for more retro technology.