Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

The Catholic Church

Search this Thread

Old 04 March 2013, 06:27 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The Catholic Church

Why dont they rebrand as a Gay rights organisation ?

How can anyone trust anything they say, another one today shown to be a a non celibate and gay, revelations of wild parties, so many incidences of Paedophilia, when was the last time we heard something of benefit from them, some wise or comforting words, seems to just be all Dogma and hypocricy.

The faithful must be getting dissolusioned by now ?
Old 04 March 2013, 06:30 PM
Blue by You
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by J4CKO
Why dont they rebrand as a Gay rights organisation ?

It's a job to know who you can put some trust in these days. People in what used to be respectable professions are either taking back handers or back enders
Old 04 March 2013, 06:30 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

oi im a vicar
Old 04 March 2013, 06:32 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

The new CockLic Church ....... Gays, Priests, Vicars and Cardinals most welcome!
Old 04 March 2013, 06:32 PM
Blue by You
Scooby Regular

Bloody hell Tommy, you don't miss much on here do you
Old 04 March 2013, 06:43 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

I suspect it is a small percentage really but at the moment it doesnt seem it, for me it rings true as I used to work with a very religious bloke, very anti gay, even got in trouble for making homophobic comments on an intranet forum at the Police (Super PC pro gay employer) and one day his PC dissapeared, next we know he does 4 1/2 year at her Majestys Pleasure (funny how she gets her jollies) for having sex with a 12 year old boy, funnily enough I work with someone now, also a Christian who he prays with, I didnt mention the prison time to see if he would, apparently he is still very anti gay ! the man bummed a young boy, I would say that quite gay, and pretty deplorable.

Funny how so many religious men get bertayed by their *****, shows how really, we shouldnt be celibate as we cant hack it, we are designed to ejaculate, we cant help it, why pretend otherwise ?

Mut be demoralising for the ones that done even have a cheeky **** in the vestry before evensong
Old 04 March 2013, 06:51 PM
legb4rsk
Scooby Regular

Location: If you're not braking or accelerating you're wasting time.

I was watching an in-depth documentary about the problems Italy have & they suggested that the Catholic Church had fairly close ties with the Mafia.

Doesn't surprise me considering how they shielded the IRA.
Old 04 March 2013, 06:52 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO

Funny how so many religious men get bertayed by their *****, shows how really, we shouldnt be celibate as we cant hack it, we are designed to ejaculate, we cant help it, why pretend otherwise ?

+1

Well said..
Old 04 March 2013, 07:04 PM
kenc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by legb4rsk

Doesn't surprise me considering how they shielded the IRA.
Care to elaborate on this???? or is it just a generalisation like saying the Presbyterian Church shielded the UVF, UDA, UFF...etc etc etc
Old 04 March 2013, 07:17 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

This morning on the radio I listened to Cormac Murphy-O'Connor, another high ranking Catholic, speak on the recent revelations regarding the head Catholic Church in the UK

He was obviously asked about the decades of child abuse and **** rape of children within the Catholic Church, and the fact that thses scandals seem never ending

What was the best he could come up with – to demonstrate even the merest scintilla of humanity and empathy to the victims

“The Catholic Church is on a learning curve”, it just beggers belief and when you actually stop and process what he said – “on a learning curve” it just shows how far they have got to go to become fully fledged human beings
Old 04 March 2013, 07:38 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Well I would like to take this opportunity to apologise without reservation to my partners of 20 years or more ago for my sexual advances and sexual acts which were not to your expected standards. I blame alcohol but that is no real excuse.

As for inappropriate behaviour again I can only say that I misunderstood the signals and I genuinely assumed that girls liked wearing their old schoolgirl uniforms.

Anyhow all that is behind me now so you and your sisters can sleep in peace.

Humbly yours, dl
Old 04 March 2013, 07:41 PM
mgcvk
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

The thing you have to realise is that the Catholics know theirs is the one true faith and not the Jews, Muslims, other Christians (who seem pretty much the same but obviously are completely different), Hindus, Sikhs or anybody else. The Jews know theirs is the one true faith and not the Catholics, Muslims, other Christians (who seem pretty much the same but obviously are completely different), Hindus, Sikhs or anybody else. The Muslims know theirs is the one true faith and not the Catholics, Jews, other Christians (who seem pretty much the same but obviously are completely different), Hindus, Sikhs or anybody else. The Christians (who seem pretty much the same but obviously are completely different) know theirs is the one true faith and not the Catholics, Muslims, Jews, Hindus, Sikhs or anybody else. The Hindus know theirs is the one true faith and not the Catholics, Muslims, other Christians (who seem pretty much the same but obviously are completely different), Hindus, Jews or anybody else. The Sikhs know theirs is the one true faith and not the Catholics, Muslims, other Christians (who seem pretty much the same but obviously are completely different), Hindus, Jews or anybody else. Oh yes I forgot Offler the Crocodile God!
Old 04 March 2013, 08:12 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

Yes, the CC is undeniably quite badly out of touch, but taking into account its primary reason for existence (upholding/propagating a 2000-plus year old set of superstitions), you have to wonder how it could fail to be.

As to whether it's more or less out of touch than the various other flavours of Christianity, you'd have to be tragically deluded or a massive hypocrite to pretend there's really much difference between them.

All IMHO of course, and spoken as a committed atheist
Old 04 March 2013, 08:23 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mgcvk
The thing you have to realise is that the Catholics know theirs is the one true faith and not the Jews, Muslims, other Christians (who seem pretty much the same but obviously are completely different), Hindus, Sikhs or anybody else. The Jews know theirs is the one true faith and not the Catholics, Muslims, other Christians (who seem pretty much the same but obviously are completely different), Hindus, Sikhs or anybody else. The Muslims know theirs is the one true faith and not the Catholics, Jews, other Christians (who seem pretty much the same but obviously are completely different), Hindus, Sikhs or anybody else. The Christians (who seem pretty much the same but obviously are completely different) know theirs is the one true faith and not the Catholics, Muslims, Jews, Hindus, Sikhs or anybody else. The Hindus know theirs is the one true faith and not the Catholics, Muslims, other Christians (who seem pretty much the same but obviously are completely different), Hindus, Jews or anybody else. The Sikhs know theirs is the one true faith and not the Catholics, Muslims, other Christians (who seem pretty much the same but obviously are completely different), Hindus, Jews or anybody else. Oh yes I forgot Offler the Crocodile God!
Dear God, WTF?
Old 04 March 2013, 09:23 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by markjmd
Yes, the CC is undeniably quite badly out of touch, but taking into account its primary reason for existence (upholding/propagating a 2000-plus year old set of superstitions), you have to wonder how it could fail to be.

As to whether it's more or less out of touch than the various other flavours of Christianity, you'd have to be tragically deluded or a massive hypocrite to pretend there's really much difference between them.

Yes, the above is self evidently true, and I obviously reserve my low level and somewhat genial contempt for all religions

But do reserve a special contempt for child abusers and their apologist, what their religion or not as the case may be
Old 04 March 2013, 10:10 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Are you completely comfortable with this statement, Mark?
Old 04 March 2013, 10:44 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mgcvk
Very true. Hindus do think that their faith is one true faith than any other faith, which includes their own faith to be untrue, as you say.
Old 05 March 2013, 01:40 AM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JTaylor
Are you completely comfortable with this statement, Mark?
OK, let me rephrase that slightly. When it comes to certain things, I think it's just plain silly to talk of varying degrees of being out of touch, so from that point of view, I genuinely believe it's either naive or hypocritical to try and draw a distinction between Roman Catholicism and other branches of the faith.
Old 05 March 2013, 06:35 AM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

OK, let me rephrase that slightly. When it comes to certain things, I think it's just plain silly to talk of varying degrees of being out of touch, so from that point of view, I genuinely believe it's either naive or hypocritical to try and draw a distinction between Roman Catholicism and other branches of the faith.
What "certain things"?
Old 05 March 2013, 10:14 AM
fastmike
Scooby Regular

the Vatican helped many a **** escape at the end of WW2
Old 05 March 2013, 03:37 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Catholic teachings endeavour to get its followers to lead what we might call a good life both in the way they behave and their attitude towards others. just as in any other Christian religion as well as others. The Church also produces ways to follow the religion and as a follower you would be expected to do that as a good catholic.

There is nothing wrong with all that since it means that if someone can do all that then they should be living their life setting a good example to as well as helping others.

The Church knows full well that people are fallible and that to follow all those teachings would be pretty well impossible. It therefore has provision for catholics to repent and seek forgiveness when they get it wrong.

The Church cannot be criticised for its attempts to help people to live in such a way that they do good and help others less fortunate than themselves.

When people,including priests stray from the path, it is not the fault of Catholic teachings but it is all down to the person concerned. The teachings would never state that anyone is free to go against them and if the person does stray then that person is responsible for committing the offence concerned.

Nothing is perfect of course and there are enough suggestions such as allowing priests to marry thereby removing the need to be celibate and thus making it less likely that advantage is taken of young people. It is not difficult to imagine how difficult it must be for a priest to remain celibate all his life as a priest. This sort of situation is all down to the religion's requirements and it is up to the religion to decide what to do about that.

It is unfair to criticise the religion out of hand without a full knowledge of its teachings and the reasons for them. That would go for other religions too of course.

If you are an atheist then you must follow your own beliefs as your conscience dictates but it is unecessary to run down someone who might think differently to you.

Les
Old 05 March 2013, 05:53 PM
mgcvk
Scooby Regular

All religions are open to ridicule as the are all made up.
Old 05 March 2013, 05:57 PM
mgcvk
Scooby Regular

Apart from Mormonism which is the actual true faith and not at all made up. Everyone else is wrong.
Old 05 March 2013, 05:59 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

What "certain things"?
The fundamental belief in an all-seeing and all-powerful supreme being, for one. I suspect it's quite unlikely to happen in your or my lifetime, but I'd be fascinated to see whether one day any branch of the church will ever take the trail-blazing step of conceding that based on all the available evidence, it's near enough certain no such being exists. Now that would be a church that's really keeping up with the times
Old 05 March 2013, 06:26 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

The fundamental belief in an all-seeing and all-powerful supreme being, for one. I suspect it's quite unlikely to happen in your or my lifetime, but I'd be fascinated to see whether one day any branch of the church will ever take the trail-blazing step of conceding that based on all the available evidence, it's near enough certain no such being exists. Now that would be a church that's really keeping up with the times
I see. Feel better now?
Old 05 March 2013, 08:17 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

I see. Feel better now?
Not too sure what there is here to feel good or bad, or better or worse about It's just one of many 'future history' events I'd be interested to have an answer to, but probably never will. Will man ever set up permanent colonies on the Moon or outside the Solar system, will the Earth really be 4 degrees C hotter in 100 years time, etc, etc
Old 05 March 2013, 08:53 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Not too sure what there is here to feel good or bad, or better or worse about It's just one of many 'future history' events I'd be interested to have an answer to, but probably never will. Will man ever set up permanent colonies on the Moon or outside the Solar system, will
the Earth really be 4 degrees C hotter in 100 years time, etc, etc
Just read the Book of Revelation.
Old 06 March 2013, 09:05 AM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

Originally Posted by Leslie

The Church knows full well that people are fallible and that to follow all those teachings would be pretty well impossible. It therefore has provision for catholics to repent and seek forgiveness when they get it wrong.
That statement alone about sums up all that is wrong with the 'Christian message'. Do what you like, repent and it's ok

Originally Posted by Leslie
Nothing is perfect of course and there are enough suggestions such as allowing priests to marry thereby removing the need to be celibate and thus making it less likely that advantage is taken of young people.
Allowing priests to marry might stop them ******** women, or even other men if thay are gay, but to suggest that celibacy is the cause of paedohilia, that's just wrong.

Geezer
Old 06 March 2013, 09:55 AM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Geezer
That statement alone about sums up all that is wrong with the 'Christian message'. Do what you like, repent and it's ok
Forgiveness is wrong? Seeking forgiveness is wrong? Forgiving is wrong? Repentance and contrition are wrong? Paying penance is wrong? The desire for absolution is wrong?

Would you be good enough to elucidate a little, Geezer? I'm interested in your reasoning and seeing the kind of place from whence it emanates.
Old 06 March 2013, 10:08 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

You don't need church for that lot!

Quick Reply: The Catholic Church