Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Police Starting Pay Reduced ....

Search this Thread

Old 15 January 2013, 06:17 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Police Starting Pay Reduced ....

From £22,000 to £19,000.

Police have always been massively highly paid .... is there a new realism being brought into play?
Old 15 January 2013, 06:19 PM
Jamie330S
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

£22,000 is not highly paid at all
Old 15 January 2013, 06:24 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

You know what I meant - I meant that the 'general Police Pay' is extremely attractive.

£22,000 ain't a bad starting point!!

£19,000 is a bit more realistic.
Old 15 January 2013, 06:27 PM
rossyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by pslewis
From £22,000 to £19,000.

Police have always been massively highly paid .... is there a new realism being brought into play?
According to you the average wage is £50k.

Now £22k is highly paid.

Getting confused?
Old 15 January 2013, 06:29 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

We are talking wee kiddies just starting!!

Not, repeat not, a fully experienced master of their trade - THERE the average wage is well over £50k - and quite rightly.
Old 15 January 2013, 06:38 PM
greenonedave
Scooby Regular

I am quite sure that the people who complained about J Saville to the police and were ignored, families of the Liverpool football Hillsbrough cover-up who has evidence twisted and lastly the family of Milly Downer who's phone details where hacked and ignored by Surry police don't think that they are worth £50k.
Old 15 January 2013, 06:53 PM
saints_forever
Scooby Regular

£19k is ridiculously low when you consider what situations they put themselves in compared to someone working for more money selling in a call centre. Average is £24k now, so looking at it £19k is awful. Plus the police don't recruit 'wee nippers', there older people closer/in there 30's as life experience is key!
Old 15 January 2013, 07:04 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

A call Centre wage is static .... the Police Recruits is hiked massively year on year.
Old 15 January 2013, 07:08 PM
saints_forever
Scooby Regular

To a whole £34k. Plus public sector pay is mainly frozen at the moment, would take years for decent pay! My mate earns more than that in Rias on outbound calls!
Old 15 January 2013, 07:13 PM
Jimbob
Scooby Regular

Going on the average intelligence of most Police, then minimum wage would be a start!!
Old 15 January 2013, 07:24 PM
gazzawrx
Scooby Regular

I have a lot of coppers come into my work and most of them are earning 40k a year as normal bobbies.
Old 15 January 2013, 07:28 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gazzawrx
I have a lot of coppers come into my work and most of them are earning 40k a year as normal bobbies.
True ...... some normal bobbies on MUCH more than that!!!!

The old fat ones who couldn't chase a snail down
Old 15 January 2013, 07:34 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

19k, thats terrible for what they could end up dealing with or be faced with. I certainly would face a group of drunken 'boys' threatening people with broken bottles etc, even as a new pup the chances of being faced with that I would guess is quite possible.

Like the army, ambulance, fire the police should get more for what they do, to include nurses too.
Old 15 January 2013, 07:42 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

i thought they only got £19k if they had no experience? if they have worked in specials or PCSO they start on a higher wage?
Old 15 January 2013, 07:58 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PaulC72
Like the army, ambulance, fire the police should get more for what they do, to include nurses too.
People get paid for what they can do, that others haven't the intelligence to do.

Most people can do quite well in the forces, police, ambulance, fire ...... hence they are not as well paid as, say, a Nuclear Scientist (where most people wouldn't know where to start).
Old 15 January 2013, 08:45 PM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

Its always been an in demand job.
There is very little recruitment as it is. I don’t think it really matters what the entry conditions are it will still be in demand.
Old 15 January 2013, 09:28 PM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

Drop the pay even further to 15k and they would still have enough recruits. Given how many of the ones I met were both thick and irritating 15 is still overpaid. I have though met some CID who made a good approximation of being normal intelligent humans.
Old 15 January 2013, 09:47 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

A good old Tory toff policy that you agree with then Pete
Old 16 January 2013, 02:51 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Seems fair to me as a starting salary, until they have proved they are capable at the job.

Les
Old 16 January 2013, 03:54 PM
leeds_182
Scooby Regular

It's a garbage wage considering the commitment with shift work and such like.

There is also the fact that as a police officer you are always on duty and if you see an incident when not at work you are duty bound to do something.

Add to that the fact you could get shot, stabbed, spat at, have no employee rights, never finish on time and get investigated for bogus complaints all the time and spend all your time with the scum of society - I think it's a bit on the low side.
Old 16 January 2013, 04:19 PM
Felix.
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

It’s now the lowest of the 3 emergency services, which is a bit of a kick in the teeth since the fire brigade spend most of the time in bed and the police are the first responders for ambulances called to assaults or any dodgy situation.

Considering the pensions are going up to 15% of the pay, the group insurance has gone up, pay freeze, the unsociable hours payment only gets paid when they want to.....

It’s funny how the federation (who are totally against such a move) just seem to roll over when the chips are down...

Is Alan Sugar still looking for someone......
Old 16 January 2013, 04:21 PM
saints_forever
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by leeds_182
It's a garbage wage considering the commitment with shift work and such like.

There is also the fact that as a police officer you are always on duty and if you see an incident when not at work you are duty bound to do something.

Add to that the fact you could get shot, stabbed, spat at, have no employee rights, never finish on time and get investigated for bogus complaints all the time and spend all your time with the scum of society - I think it's a bit on the low side.
Completely agree, under appreciated and under paid. And that extends to other public services and military organisations.

Plus organisations such as the police have long probation periods to whittle out people who don't cut the mustard!
Old 16 January 2013, 05:09 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Felix.
It’s now the lowest of the 3 emergency services, which is a bit of a kick in the teeth since the fire brigade spend most of the time in bed and the police are the first responders for ambulances called to assaults or any dodgy situation.

Considering the pensions are going up to 15% of the pay, the group insurance has gone up, pay freeze, the unsociable hours payment only gets paid when they want to.....

It’s funny how the federation (who are totally against such a move) just seem to roll over when the chips are down...

Is Alan Sugar still looking for someone......
Agree 100%, £19K is stupidly low considering their hours and what they have to face!

The government are really making enemies of the police, they are being incredibly stupid... yes even more so than usual!
Old 16 January 2013, 05:44 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

No one going to mention the extra £3k on top of the £19k if their cheif cunstable says so - on radio...
Old 16 January 2013, 06:23 PM
gazzawrx
Scooby Regular

I think £19k a year to sit in a car hidden in a lay-by, waiting to catch someone doing 32mph in a 30mph zone is pretty fair really, they get to sit on relatively comfortable seats with heating, the radio, a colleague to talk to and a fully loaded meal to feed themselves with, that sounds like a good job to me, never mind all the perks that come with the job.
Old 16 January 2013, 06:56 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

£19k seems reasonable when an army recruit's starting salary is £13,400pa.
Old 16 January 2013, 07:00 PM
leeds_182
Scooby Regular

I think £19k a year to sit in a car hidden in a lay-by, waiting to catch someone doing 32mph in a 30mph zone is pretty fair really, they get to sit on relatively comfortable seats with heating, the radio, a colleague to talk to and a fully loaded meal to feed themselves with, that sounds like a good job to me, never mind all the perks that come with the job.
What perks are those?

Speed enforcement is the role of traffic officers. You cannot apply to be a traffic cop until you have at least two years.
Old 16 January 2013, 08:12 PM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

Its comments like this that shows what the public think. Which is often that they have zero understanding of what the job involves - but are quite happy to comment thinking they know the job.

My opinion, which has seen both sides - the police force has a lot of good people who work really hard doing a very diverse job. They also have a lot of people who like to hide away in an office moaning about everything. There are a lot of moaners in the police.

Does that mean they deserve a pay cut, not really.

But like I said - its an in demand job. People fight over the jobs. There is no way the govt will sit back and let this carry on - they will identify the jobs where there is high demand and cut the starting wages. And the real answer is most cops dont care, because they are already in. Its a very "look after number 1" type of culture. Also, most serving cops will have started on less than £19k.

The perks are the perks - but the pension is the real perk - not free coffee.

30 years and retire on a 20k+ a year pension.. thats why so many people apply. And thats just for a PC - look at an Inspectors pension.. you would have to be seriously wealthy to get that kind of return from a private pension.

So £19k, its not the end of the world. People will still join. I know there are a few serving officers on here - how many do they know who jacked the job in? I only know 1 - and the guy left to become a pilot. Its a good job, a hard job but most people dont join the cops on a whim - its something they really want to do.
Old 16 January 2013, 08:13 PM
saints_forever
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jonc
£19k seems reasonable when an army recruit's starting salary is £13,400pa.
Different job role and criteria, and depends whether you're applying as an officer in the army. They are seriously under paid as well. Plus you are forgetting they get all food, accommodation paid for, so most of their money is their own. They even have the option of very cheap army houses.

Police officers have to pay for a mortgage, bills, food on the table.....so when you look at it your argument suggests police officers should get paid more to make it relative with army pay?
Old 16 January 2013, 08:21 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Pay peanuts, get monkeys. And in a job where you really don't want school-leavers with few other options, as per the Army to a large extent. It's an easy way to save money, and that's not always the best motive, at all.

Quick Reply: Police Starting Pay Reduced ....