Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Pizzas and fat .... advert thing

Search this Thread

Old 09 January 2013, 10:29 AM
Felix.
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Pizzas and fat .... advert thing

I can understand other types of fast food which is fried having lots of fat in them. But a pizza is grilled - so is it really that bad for you?

And where does the fat come from. I'm assuming it’s the cheese and pizza dough. But cheese is often seen as a ‘healthy option’ as is bread. The rest of the pizza is mainly fruit and veg

Am I missing something
Old 09 January 2013, 10:32 AM
Orangio
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pretty much all pizza is made on white bread i.e. dough which contains a lot of flour. The dough in pizza crust will spike your blood sugar to a high point, especially considering how much of it people eat when they eat pizza and considering the popularity of deep dish pizza which contains a lot of crust. On top of that, the side dish of choice for pizza is often the breadstick which only makes things worse, and the beverage of choice with pizza is pop which contains a lot of sugar as well.

When your body eats pizza, the crust makes your blood sugar high and then many of the toppings on the pizza are easily converted to fat. Cheese is the number 1 worst thing about the pizza in combination with the crust that makes your body store fat, although things like ham and pepperoni are pretty bad as well. These elements combine to make pizza a fat-storing nightmare.
Old 09 January 2013, 10:37 AM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

Best to have a burger. That has a lettuce leaf in it too

Steve
Old 09 January 2013, 10:39 AM
StevieL81
Scooby Regular

I like pizza, doner meat one!
Old 09 January 2013, 12:50 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Since when is cheese seen as healthy – have you see the fat content of your average cheddar like Catherdal City – something like 40% fat! Mozarella has a lower fat content but I assume most pizza places use a mix for taste and texture as mozzarella is bland on its own.

Some of the meats are quite greasy like pepperoni and cheese and many places spray additional oil on top before sticking it in the oven. Have you ever had a Costco pizza – very cheap and very nice but damn they are greasy.

One of the healthiest fast food option I found is Mcdonalds chicken nuggets. They are only 250 calories for a box of six. Although if you plump for a sauce you can probably add another 100 calories on top.
Old 09 January 2013, 04:22 PM
legb4rsk
Scooby Regular

Location: If you're not braking or accelerating you're wasting time.

Originally Posted by Steve vRS
Best to have a burger. That has a lettuce leaf in it too

Steve
& cheese & tomato & gherkin & mustard & tomato sauce...........it's almost a vegetarian option.
Old 09 January 2013, 04:36 PM
Graz
Scooby Regular

You are kidding right, have you seen the grease slick in the bottom of your average Dominos/Pizza Hut box especially for one of their meat specials. Tasty yes but I'm under no illusions that it is anything but bad for me.

Maybe a home made job, thin base, veggie toppings and a smattering of cheese isn't too bad but anything else is fat tastic.

Trending Topics

Old 09 January 2013, 04:43 PM
StevieL81
Scooby Regular

Try going to a Scottish chippy, where you can get a deep fried battered one! lol
Old 09 January 2013, 04:47 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Graz
You are kidding right, have you seen the grease slick in the bottom of your average Dominos/Pizza Hut box especially for one of their meat specials. Tasty yes but I'm under no illusions that it is anything but bad for me.

Maybe a home made job, thin base, veggie toppings and a smattering of cheese isn't too bad but anything else is fat tastic.
Usually the deep pan type option. The italian base from Pizza Hut doesn't seem to bad. Certainly doesnt stop me ordering a large and devouring it in under 5 mins if I am in the mood
Old 09 January 2013, 04:48 PM
Ellie*
Scooby Regular

As others have said, takeaway pizzas are calorie and fat laden.
Cheese being the main culprit. It's not healthy at all.
Deep pan bases whack the calorie/carb/fat total up. (fats are used to make bread so I presume the same goes for pizza dough).
Pepperoni is greasy as hell, and they probably add oil when cooking.
The pizza sauces are probably full of sugar and the dips are add extra calories.

Agree with making your own.
Thin and crispy base. Tomatos/purée/passata for the sauce, chicken/ham, veg, and go lightly with the cheese.
Old 09 January 2013, 04:50 PM
Ellie*
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by P1Fanatic
Usually the deep pan type option. The italian base from Pizza Hut doesn't seem to bad. Certainly doesnt stop me ordering a large and devouring it in under 5 mins if I am in the mood
Aye, 5minutes with a Dominos Texas BBQ and garlic mayo dip and I'm very happy!!
Old 09 January 2013, 05:43 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Felix.
I can understand other types of fast food which is fried having lots of fat in them. But a pizza is grilled - so is it really that bad for you?

And where does the fat come from. I'm assuming it’s the cheese and pizza dough. But cheese is often seen as a ‘healthy option’ as is bread. The rest of the pizza is mainly fruit and veg

Am I missing something
Are you missing something? Yes!

Since when has cheese been healthy. Nice maybe, but healthy it is not.
Old 09 January 2013, 05:57 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ellie*
Aye, 5minutes with a Dominos Texas BBQ and garlic mayo dip and I'm very happy!!
Haha I am usually a double pepperoni man but we did have a couple of Dominos BBQ pizza late night at a pre-xmas gathering with friends to soak up the alcohol and it was pretty good. Could be the beer tastebuds though.

The collection place is always bogof 7 days a week. I would not pay full whack for one that’s for sure. Used to eat half and have the 2nd half the following day (reheated none of this eat it cold malarkey). Nowadays I end up eating most if not all in one sitting.

Not quite on a par with these guys though:

Old 09 January 2013, 05:58 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

Deep pan bases whack the calorie/carb/fat total up. (fats are used to make bread so I presume the same goes for pizza dough).
The only fat normally used in bread-making is a tiny bit of oil on the baking tray or in the tin to stop if from sticking, so although a pizza might contain slightly more than an ordinary loaf, because of the relatively high surface area to dough volume, most of the fat by far is still going to be in the cheese, salami, and other meats
Old 09 January 2013, 06:00 PM
Alg
Scooby Regular

Agree with making your own.
Thin and crispy base. Tomatos/purée/passata for the sauce, chicken/ham, veg, and go lightly with the cheese.
But then you would have but a mere excuse of a pseudo pizza instead of a majestic mountain of artery clogging tasty loveliness?
Old 09 January 2013, 06:21 PM
Dale17
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by StevieL81
Try going to a Scottish chippy, where you can get a deep fried battered one! lol
Deep fried battered what?!
Old 09 January 2013, 06:40 PM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dale17
The Scots are past the deep frying stage now.

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the Munchy Box.

Steve
Old 09 January 2013, 06:57 PM
g7prs
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by StevieL81
Surprisingly I read a report where it said the battered deep fried one is healthier than the plain deep fried one as the batter stops the pizza absorbing all the fat.
Old 09 January 2013, 06:58 PM
g7prs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dale17
Pizza
Old 09 January 2013, 06:59 PM
g7prs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Steve vRS
The Scots are past the deep frying stage now.

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the Munchy Box.

Steve

Do they not sell them south of the boarder like?
Old 09 January 2013, 07:06 PM
g7prs
Scooby Regular

Pizza hut calories per slice.

http://www.livestrong.com/thedailypl...ood/pizza-hut/
Old 09 January 2013, 07:16 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by g7prs
Sweet pepperoni not so bad especially on thin crust. Goes to show how bad cheese is as a margherita is one of the highest.
Old 09 January 2013, 07:19 PM
g7prs
Scooby Regular

Sweet pepperoni not so bad especially on thin crust. Goes to show how bad cheese is as a margherita is one of the highest.
The meat feast is almost double that of the veggie one as well.
Old 09 January 2013, 07:45 PM
Ellie*
Scooby Regular

Haha I am usually a double pepperoni man but we did have a couple of Dominos BBQ pizza late night at a pre-xmas gathering with friends to soak up the alcohol and it was pretty good. Could be the beer tastebuds though.

The collection place is always bogof 7 days a week. I would not pay full whack for one that’s for sure. Used to eat half and have the 2nd half the following day (reheated none of this eat it cold malarkey). Nowadays I end up eating most if not all in one sitting.

Not quite on a par with these guys though:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzW2mdVzmAE
BBQ is amazing, it wasn't the beer!
Theres always deals on for dominos. Nhs staff get discount too, it use to be 50%, might have change now though.
I can't even remember the last time I had a dominos, it must be 18mth/2yrs. Sad that isn't it!! Lol

Originally Posted by markjmd
The only fat normally used in bread-making is a tiny bit of oil on the baking tray or in the tin to stop if from sticking, so although a pizza might contain slightly more than an ordinary loaf, because of the relatively high surface area to dough volume, most of the fat by far is still going to be in the cheese, salami, and other meats
I've never actually looked at the fat content of bread but when I was a baker at sainsburys, we used to use fats in the recipe. I'm not sure what exactly it was but it was a big, solid block of yellow lardy stuff. We didn't use oil in the tins either, it doesn't stick. But then home bread-makers only use butter so I don't know.

Originally Posted by Alg
But then you would have but a mere excuse of a pseudo pizza instead of a majestic mountain of artery clogging tasty loveliness?
Oh god yeah, not a patch on the real deal!!
(forgot to mention that!)

Everything in moderation though!
Nothing wrong with a big fat fest now and again!
Old 09 January 2013, 08:08 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

The meat aint great, you can see each slice sweating a heart attack out when you get your pizza.
Old 09 January 2013, 08:29 PM
Jer
Scooby Regular

Although I don't eat deep fried pizza often it's not as unhealthy as it sounds. The pizza's are the really cheap ones with the cheese painted on and somehow the fat does not soak much into the dough. The vinegary brown sauce cuts through the grease anyway for a perfect balance. I bet their is more fat and calories in half a large meat feast Domino's pizza than a half pizza supper.
Not sure about a pizza crunch though (deep fried pizza in batter).
Old 09 January 2013, 08:46 PM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

You can eat anything in moderation. The thing is some people think moderation means 3 times a week. Washed down with 6 pints and 10 **** each time.

Keep active, eat a good *balanced* diet and once a month if you want to eat a pizza, go for it.
Old 09 January 2013, 08:50 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

I like Dominos but I cant eat it without staying awake with my pulse going like the clappers, usually have it with beer and I just dont think my system can cope with it, I end up eating a whole medium as I tend to starve then binge on it, not done it in ages, I tend to make home made ones and I then know what has gone into it.

Nothing wrong with the odd binge, just not more than once a week and even then, a bit of moderation, make sure you do some exercise, I love battering it on the bike, being properly hungry and then eating, its like being a teenager, that thing where you have a big meal and it doesnt touch the sides, I think a lot of people just pile **** into an already overloaded system that never actually burns much.
Old 09 January 2013, 10:53 PM
jef
Scooby Regular

i like the odd pizza hut or dominos, but i like veg so always get the veggies supreme, or hawain thin crust.
they are my favorite anyway, but i dont kid on they are exactly healthy - but for me they are the best tasting.

meat on pizzas doesnt appeal to me, for starters it very rarely resembles actual meat - pepperoni slices ooze so much fat out them, spicy beef or chicken looks like we clumps of seasoned cysts! it looks fckig awful.

puts me off totally, but as i like the vegetable ones it doesnt bother me - in not entirley convinced the veggies are of organic origin or fresh and nutrient filled - but thats secondry to taste when im thinking of a pizza. as said the cheese is likely they biggest source of fats, combined with the fats from the processed meats results in the swimming pool of fat and grease you usually get at the bottom of such pizzas, same as the garlic bread - its not a scraping of garlic butter you get - its seemingly just cut into slabs and lumped ontop, - tasty!!
Old 09 January 2013, 11:28 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

fats not that bad for you depending what diet you eat

Quick Reply: Pizzas and fat .... advert thing