Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Flipping Osborne ... Flipping Tories ... Flipping Toffs!!

Search this Thread

Old 26 November 2012, 12:03 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry Flipping Osborne ... Flipping Tories ... Flipping Toffs!!

From the Telegraph:-

The Chancellor, George Osborne, has demonstrated how to play the parlimentary expenses system by turning a £400K profit on his second home

"The farmhouse featured in The Daily Telegraph’s expose of MPs’ expenses in 2009 when it emerged that Mr Osborne had “flipped” his second home allowance onto the property and increased the mortgage.

He took out a separate £450,000 mortgage on the Cheshire farmhouse in 2003 – reportedly guaranteed by his rich Daddy, Sir Peter Osborne, founder of the Osborne & Little wallpaper chain.....................

...............and claimed £100,000 on the property between 2003 and 2009 on his MPs’ expensees."

And the odds that this super flipper will fix our nation's finances are ... ?

I'm spitting mad at this ....... sack the fecking lot of them Toffy Nosed Tories!!!
Old 26 November 2012, 12:21 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lp...61emo1_500.gif
Old 26 November 2012, 12:30 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Indeed Pete, I would want such an astute financial mastermind to be managing our country's economy back to health after the damage caused by the ineptitude of the previous Labour government.
Old 26 November 2012, 12:35 PM
Graz
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SJ_Skyline
Indeed Pete, I would want such an astute financial mastermind to be managing our country's economy back to health after the damage caused by the ineptitude of the previous Labour government.
Indeed, sounds perfect for the job
Old 26 November 2012, 12:40 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

I agree Pete, trouble is none of them in any of the major parties are any different. All self serving greed driven career politicians interested soley in feathering their own nest! Why anyone wastes any breath on Tory this and Labour that is anyone's guess these days as they are all exactly the same!
Old 26 November 2012, 12:42 PM
steve ex vauxhall
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
I agree Pete, trouble is none of them in any of the major parties are any different. All self serving greed driven career politicians interested soley in feathering their own nest! Why anyone wastes any breath on Tory this and Labour that is anyone's guess these days as they are all exactly the same!
This^^^^^^

Absolutely totally agree
Old 26 November 2012, 01:03 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

OK I know this makes a fine sound-bite, but is this really the case?

If the government are 'solely interested in feathering their own nests' then I'd guess that you'd actually have loads and loads of evidence to support the claim?

Politics are important and we get the politicians and the kind of system we ask for!

Sorry to pick on your job post, but glib unsubstantiated, illogical comments like this are starting to annoy me

Trending Topics

Old 26 November 2012, 01:18 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SJ_Skyline
His Father and Mother are the Masterminds ........... not this pathetic 'boy' ...
Old 26 November 2012, 01:22 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Government solely interested in feathering their own nests?

Hmmmmm, well, I GUESS we could look at the lists of non-executive directors of various companies treated well by successive governments? Would THAT constitute proof?
Old 26 November 2012, 01:30 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
Government solely interested in feathering their own nests?

Hmmmmm, well, I GUESS we could look at the lists of non-executive directors of various companies treated well by successive governments? Would THAT constitute proof?
Obviously not - that just constitutes circumstantial tittle-tattle

Last edited by Martin2005; 26 November 2012 at 01:32 PM.
Old 26 November 2012, 01:33 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Martin2005
OK I know this makes a fine sound-bite, but is this really the case?

If the government are 'solely interested in feathering their own nests' then I'd guess that you'd actually have loads and loads of evidence to support the claim?

Politics are important and we get the politicians and the kind of system we ask for!

Sorry to pick on your job post, but glib unsubstantiated, illogical comments like this are starting to annoy me
Yep well people like you annoy me so touche!

You need to look no further than the fact that all senior politicians get richer by a factor many times greater than their salary as a result of being a politician.

And then there's the expenses scandal.... not one of them is sorry for what they did, just sorry they got caught! A fact emphasised by their insistence of the introduction of a new law on the grounds of anti terrorism that means they don't have to name who they are renting properties from!

Then there is the wastage - for instance hiow much has the Leveson Enquiry cost? And now they are saying if the results are not what they wnat to hear they will ignore it. Why? because it doesn't suit them to have to actually do things, that's why?

Police Commisioner Elections - more jobs for the boys! Spend loads of money on a nonsense election and now spend loads more money investigating why it was a failure to be seen to be doing the right thing!

Been happening for years - the ERM for instance - spend billions chasing something that was already dead but that allowed 25 millionaire mates to be created overnight!

Cash for questions, MPs on company boards, backhander deals that have seen them sacked or even sent to prison etc. etc.

Name one major policy that the Tories have introduced this term that has a) been implemented fully or b) met the government's targets!

Labour were the same, taking us into wars we had no right to be in .. think of those defence contracts though

It's all talk, talk, talk and nest feathering!
Old 26 November 2012, 01:40 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Yep well people like you annoy me so touche!
Define, 'people like me'? Do you mean people that like to use logic?

You need to look no further than the fact that all senior politicians get richer by a factor many times greater than their salary as a result of being a politician.
Evidence?

And then there's the expenses scandal.... not one of them is sorry for what they did, just sorry they got caught! A fact emphasised by their insistence of the introduction of a new law on the grounds of anti terrorism that means they don't have to name who they are renting properties from!
What did this have to do with the government?

Then there is the wastage - for instance hiow much has the Leveson Enquiry cost? And now they are saying if the results are not what they wnat to hear they will ignore it. Why? because it doesn't suit them to have to actually do things, that's why?
Evidence?

Police Commisioner Elections - more jobs for the boys! Spend loads of money on a nonsense election and now spend loads more money investigating why it was a failure to be seen to be doing the right thing!
Silly idea granted, but not sure how this can be used as an example of corruption

Been happening for years - the ERM for instance - spend billions chasing something that was already dead but that allowed 25 millionaire mates to be created overnight!
Evidence?

Cash for questions, MPs on company boards, backhander deals that have seen them sacked or even sent to prison etc. etc.
What does this have to do with the government?

Name one major policy that the Tories have introduced this term that has a) been implemented fully or b) met the government's targets!
How does this make them self-serving, or nest feathering?

Labour were the same, taking us into wars we had no right to be in .. think of those defence contracts though
Now that really is just pure fantasy

It's all talk, talk, talk and nest feathering!
No it's just what you want to believe
Old 26 November 2012, 01:44 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

No it's just what you want to believe
Ditto!
Old 26 November 2012, 01:52 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Ditto!

Yeah because I have some kind of emotional investment in believing that the government are saints
Old 26 November 2012, 01:55 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Yeah because I have some kind of emotional investment in believing that the government are saints
Yeah and becaase I have the same in believing they're not

Oh and I am talking about all politicians not just your beloved government!
Old 26 November 2012, 02:08 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Yeah and becaase I have the same in believing they're not
Oh and I am talking about all politicians not just your beloved government!
I think this comment demonstrates how little you actually read, and how much you actually assume
Old 26 November 2012, 02:21 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

I think this comment demonstrates how little you actually read, and how much you actually assume
Don't propose to know how much I read or assume, you know nothing about me so don't go there sunshine!

Look you seem to want to believe that politicians aren't self serving nest featherers, but can't conclusively prove they're not and I believe that they are, but I can't conclusively prove that.

It's called opinion and mine is based on what I see and hear them do combined with extrapolating that to the fact we probably only scrape the surface of their shenanigans. Yours is based on ... well I don't know, but it is your opinion and you are entitled to it.

This is a discussion board where opinions are proffered and hence I can write what I consider to be my opinion of politicians. You didn't like any of the examples given.... fair enough, but let's leave it there as this will go nowhere.... I will not be changing my opinion in any way any time soon!
Old 26 November 2012, 02:59 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE]
Don't propose to know how much I read or assume, you know nothing about me so don't go there sunshine!
You seem to assume that I have a 'beloved government' that is totally wrong, and therefore I will 'propose' (purport??) so i will 'go there'

Look you seem to want to believe that politicians aren't self serving nest featherers, but can't conclusively prove they're not and I believe that they are, but I can't conclusively prove that.
No wrong again - and how the hell would you expect me to prove this?

It's called opinion and mine is based on what I see and hear them do combined with extrapolating that to the fact we probably only scrape the surface of their shenanigans. Yours is based on ... well I don't know, but it is your opinion and you are entitled to it.
Surely an opinion, has to be based upon some kind of rational thought process, based at least in part upon fact and reason?

I will not be changing my opinion in any way any time soon!
Ain't that the truth.
Old 26 November 2012, 03:29 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

There used to be a time when a politician was a man to be trusted by the electorate regardless of his colours.

I back F! Man in his general ideas about our present day politicians who have largely turned out to be in the game to further themselves at all costs. They are there now only to slavishly follow the policies of their own party regardless of whether those policies are in fact good for the people rather than for political capital for their own party or themselves for that matter. They are all voted in by their constituents to represent the needs of their own constituency and to govern the country. Seems to be precious little of that happening these days,from the leaders downwards in fact.

They gave the lie to their personal honesty of course when the expenses scandal broke and we saw for ourselves how so many of them were fiddling the system to make money out of us hand over fist. It is even more upsetting when we see some recent examples showing that they are still at it...in spades!

If they feel untrusted, then thay have only got themselves to blame and it wil, be very difficult for them to earn the trust of the people of this country again.

Les
Old 26 November 2012, 03:50 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

You seem to assume that I have a 'beloved government' that is totally wrong, and therefore I will 'propose' (purport??) so i will 'go there'
English lessons from you?????

No wrong again - and how the hell would you expect me to prove this?
The same way you expect me to prove the converse

Surely an opinion, has to be based upon some kind of rational thought process, based at least in part upon fact and reason?.
Let me know when you can join the party on this rather than just proffering opinion as if it were fact

You may want to believe in our political system whereas I think it is completely broken!
Old 26 November 2012, 04:28 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

English lessons from you?????
I wouldn't take an English lesson from me either, I just wanted to be clear on what you meant

The same way you expect me to prove the converse
Except it is incredibly difficult to prove a something is not true. Effectively you are asking me to prove the facts that you haven't offered are not facts...quite difficult i'd say

Let me know when you can join the party on this rather than just proffering opinion as if it were fact
There's a party?

You may want to believe in our political system whereas I think it is completely broken!
I do believe in our political system, correct. I don't necessarily believe it's all fine and dandy, and there are aspect I would certainly want changing. But I fundamentally do not believe that people go into politics and government to be corrupt, yes some are corrupted, but they are a small minority. We are lucky in this country to have the fine traditions of public service we do. Having someone shouting from the sidelines that the whole thing is rotten, is baseless and destructive.
Old 26 November 2012, 04:31 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
There used to be a time when a politician was a man to be trusted by the electorate regardless of his colours.

I back F! Man in his general ideas about our present day politicians who have largely turned out to be in the game to further themselves at all costs. They are there now only to slavishly follow the policies of their own party regardless of whether those policies are in fact good for the people rather than for political capital for their own party or themselves for that matter. They are all voted in by their constituents to represent the needs of their own constituency and to govern the country. Seems to be precious little of that happening these days,from the leaders downwards in fact.

They gave the lie to their personal honesty of course when the expenses scandal broke and we saw for ourselves how so many of them were fiddling the system to make money out of us hand over fist. It is even more upsetting when we see some recent examples showing that they are still at it...in spades!

If they feel untrusted, then thay have only got themselves to blame and it wil, be very difficult for them to earn the trust of the people of this country again.

Les
Why not just march on parliament and burn it down then? Give up on democracy and try totalitarianism instead?
Old 26 November 2012, 05:47 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Why not just march on parliament and burn it down then? Give up on democracy and try totalitarianism instead?
Someone tried that but unfortunately got caught (burning Parliament).
I am of the mind anyone who harbours ambition to be a politician is not qualified for the job. The expenses scandal has proved and is proving that the majority of our elected leaders are sycophantic leeches who view the electorate as 'plebs'.
Old 27 November 2012, 03:16 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

That really is the most ridiculous statement in relation to my post. Such an action as recommended by you has no relation whatsoever with what I said of course.

If you are incapable of making sensible comment then you would do better to wind your neck in!

Les
Old 27 November 2012, 04:44 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

That really is the most ridiculous statement in relation to my post. Such an action as recommended by you has no relation whatsoever with what I said of course.

If you are incapable of making sensible comment then you would do better to wind your neck in!

Les
Sarcasm is easily lost upon you I see.

The point was trying to make was; if all WE have to offer is cynicism then we may as well give up
Old 27 November 2012, 07:17 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SouthWalesSam
I know you can dish it, Les. But I also know you can’t take it.

Everyone's hero Get the **** out of here. As irrelevant as yesterday's newspapers.
Old 28 November 2012, 02:42 PM
Devildog
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
His Father and Mother are the Masterminds ........... not this pathetic 'boy' ...
Much like your own "issues", eh Pete?
Old 28 November 2012, 04:42 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Sarcasm is easily lost upon you I see.

The point was trying to make was; if all WE have to offer is cynicism then we may as well give up
You really have to make your point clear enough so that one can understand what you are trying say!

Please can you explain where I was being cynical in my original post. It all seems like a straight statement of fact to me.

Les
Old 28 November 2012, 05:13 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

You really have to make your point clear enough so that one can understand what you are trying say!

Please can you explain where I was being cynical in my original post. It all seems like a straight statement of fact to me.

Les
I'd say 95% of your posts are an object lesson in cynicism.

Also I don't like the way you see the whole area of politics as a pantomime with easily recognisable 'goodies' and 'baddies'.
I cannot reconcile your musings with the real world, where things are so rarely black and white, right or wrong. Politics is full of nuance and incredibly difficult decisions, you just ant to simplify it down to whether the decision maker was a 'goodie' (usually a Tory), or a baddie (always a non-Tory). Then you define the policy or decision on the basis of who made the decision.

AND THEN YOU HAVE THE NECK TO CALL YOURSELF APOLITICAL!!!
Old 28 November 2012, 05:25 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I'd say 95% of your posts are an object lesson in cynicism.

Also I don't like the way you see the whole area of politics as a pantomime with easily recognisable 'goodies' and 'baddies'.
I cannot reconcile your musings with the real world, where things are so rarely black and white, right or wrong. Politics is full of nuance and incredibly difficult decisions, you just ant to simplify it down to whether the decision maker was a 'goodie' (usually a Tory), or a baddie (always a non-Tory). Then you define the policy or decision on the basis of who made the decision.

AND THEN YOU HAVE THE NECK TO CALL YOURSELF APOLITICAL!!!
You really do appear to have lost it Martin. What a barrel scraping exercise that was as an attempt to criticise.

I suggest that you look back at my posts so that you can see whether I do in fact favour a particular political party. You might get a surprise!

Do you actually understand the meaning of the word "Apolitical"?

Les

Quick Reply: Flipping Osborne ... Flipping Tories ... Flipping Toffs!!