http://uk.news.yahoo.com/benefits-ca...030446304.html

Really?
Old 19 November 2012, 10:28 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

'Childrens lives...'

FFS.

Yeah, kids'll be dropping dead on the spot because their parent(s) only cream £500 a week off the state.

**** boiler.
Old 19 November 2012, 10:32 PM
yellowvanman
Scooby Regular

Capped to about the average wage?

Not bad for sitting around doing nothing! Most have to work to get the same!
Old 19 November 2012, 11:24 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How much do they want it capped to ?

I can see how people end up in that position, say four kids, in London and a house rented for them but plenty of working people manage on less than that, it is clear income as well, not taxed and it would take a single earner on 35k to bring that home every week. I guess the people who get that in benefits are never going to get a job on better money than that and they would have to be out all day, every day.
Old 19 November 2012, 11:54 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

"She said she was "terrified" about the prospects for many families who would be forced to move to cheaper areas where they would find it harder to find work."

Hello ffs don't live beyond your means ... how about getting a job that pays more than the cap

TX.
Old 19 November 2012, 11:57 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Sell the kids for food
Old 19 November 2012, 11:58 PM
scoobysteve1983
Scooby Regular

why give benefit claimants money?? they should only get tokens/vouchers to use at specified supermarkets/shops excluding alcohol and tobacco. if they want the luxury items then simple, go out, get a job and work for a living.
Old 20 November 2012, 12:40 AM
Lisawrx

Originally Posted by yellowvanman
Capped to about the average wage?

Not bad for sitting around doing nothing! Most have to work to get the same!
Exactly. It's not like it's being taken away completely and families are being thrown out on the streets. Plenty of families survive on that sort of money, and whilst it is tough, it's not impossible.

This comment sums it up for me:

"It's not fair or right that benefits claimants receive higher incomes than hard-working families who are striving to get on in life.

I'm not dead against a benefits system to help people, when needed, but I agree with the point above. How it is right that someone sitting all day doing nothing can be given more than a person/couple working god knows what hours is beyond me.
Old 20 November 2012, 01:02 AM
madscoob
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

best part is it includes rent lmfa thats why loads wont be able to lord it up and have to move
Old 20 November 2012, 01:14 AM
Mattiepkr1984
Scooby Regular

If people can't afford kids they shouldn't have them simples
Old 20 November 2012, 08:24 AM
ReallyReallyGoodMeat
Scooby Regular

Most people have to move house if they can't afford their mortgage payments due to change of circumstances, I don't see why benefits claimants should be treated any differently.
Old 20 November 2012, 08:32 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

2k a month is more than enough to live in a reasonable area. might have to cut down on **** and beer mind you, other option could be go out and work you lazy ****tards!

See she already got sacked for not turning up to a vote she didnt agree with.

Is it just me or is this a ploy to try to get the scrounger vote?
Old 20 November 2012, 09:16 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

I wouldn't care, but £500 pw with NO tax to pay is far more than most people EARN in this area.

My eldest was a skilled plater before leaving his job to go to uni. He was on £520 pw BEFORE tax, NI etc.
Old 20 November 2012, 09:22 AM
chet123
Scooby Regular

its a joke - working people like us pay our taxes to fund other peoples lifestyles such as accomodation, food, bills.

all B$llocks if you ask me. £500 is a lot of money - they should get half that.
Old 20 November 2012, 10:58 AM
Mouser
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobysteve1983
why give benefit claimants money?? they should only get tokens/vouchers to use at specified supermarkets/shops excluding alcohol and tobacco. if they want the luxury items then simple, go out, get a job and work for a living.
I think this is happening in parts of Australia, possibly on a trial basis.
Old 20 November 2012, 11:08 AM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Holy ****, £26k a year for doing **** all - can I have some of that please. I'd love to sit on my **** drinking beer and watching sky all day.

That's more than a PC on completion of training or most junior soldiers, sailors and airmen earn - I bet they'd love that lifestyle. Oh, and these people have to pay their dues on that income
Old 20 November 2012, 11:36 AM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by JonMc
Holy ****, £26k a year for doing **** all - can I have some of that please. I'd love to sit on my **** drinking beer and watching sky all day.

That's more than a PC on completion of training or most junior soldiers, sailors and airmen earn - I bet they'd love that lifestyle. Oh, and these people have to pay their dues on that income
Good shout Jon.

Most people think that HM Forces Families live rent, council tax and fuel free.

£2k a month for f**k all
Old 20 November 2012, 12:00 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobysteve1983
Been saying that for ages, if you get benefits, which is money from the rest of society as you are disadvantaged then you should be able to buy non essentials, benefits are a safety net and not a lifestyle choice, or at least they shouldn't be. I have been harping on about the Child benefit cuts, I would be quite happy with vouchers to be spent on specific stuff like kids clothes, healthy food etc.

But no, ****, beer, Sky TV, scratchcards, holidays abroad, gadgets, gambling, lottery, spray tans, nail jobs etc etc will all be paid for with benefits money when they shouldn't be, people don't want the "stigma" but perhaps the lack of stigma is part of the problem.

Not all benefits claimants are scroungers I hasten to add but there are a lot that are, everyone knows one.
Old 20 November 2012, 12:16 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

I didn't feel stigmatised by having free school meals in primary school (the only one in my class) because we were poor, nowadays I bet the kids don't queue up to pay their money whilst John doesn't, I was just glad to be fed well during the day as I could tell my mum was struggling to make ends meet as a single parent before it was acceptable. The dinner ladies were always gracious and fed me up well with Manchester tart and custard.

To make more than (or anything like) a decent average wage out of benefits is just going to keep people in poverty rather than give them the massive incentive I had to pull myself out of it with a little help from the state.

As above, money gets frittered by some on Sky, mobiles, alcohol, cigs and holidays. Let it be spent on clothing, education and childcare by vouchers to get the parents back into work.

Don't give me any human rights crap that vouchers to help in a terrible situation is a stigma of some sort. Use it to pull your family out of the gutter and stand on your own two feet.

Last edited by john banks; 20 November 2012 at 12:18 PM.
Old 20 November 2012, 12:33 PM
douglasb
Scooby Regular

A friend works in a Jobcentre. One of his colleagues is currently subject to disciplinary proceedings following an altercation with a claimant who was not pleased to be told that his benefits were to be capped at £500 per week.

Mr Claimant was getting loud and obnoxious while my friend's colleague tried to remain calm and explained that he personally couldn't do anything to alter the position: Parliament had made a law, it stated that benefits would be capped at £500, he had to abide by this.

Mr Claimant - "But what do I do if I want to have more kids? I can't afford that."
Friend's Colleague - "Well I suggest you keep your **** in your pants then".

He could lose his job for that.
Old 20 November 2012, 12:54 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by The Trooper 1815
Good shout Jon.

Most people think that HM Forces Families live rent, council tax and fuel free.

£2k a month for f**k all
Just checked my payslip and my rent and council tax are deducted at source as are my NI contributions and PAYE. On the fuel front they have housed me 5-miles from base, so for my 200 mile a month commute they have chosen to contribute £18 a month - that is the last remaining perk of the job

Last edited by JonMc; 20 November 2012 at 12:56 PM.
Old 20 November 2012, 01:26 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Nothing like going to work at 5am in the morning, knowing that you are paying for the poor folk who just don't feel like working to get £500 a week tax free. It gives you a nice warm glowing feeling
Old 20 November 2012, 01:38 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by kingofturds
Nothing like going to work at 5am in the morning, knowing that you are paying for the poor folk who just don't feel like working to get £500 a week tax free. It gives you a nice warm glowing feeling
Maybe you should go in at 4am for the month of December so they can have a Christmas bonus, after all those PS3s, iPhone 5s and backward baseball caps don't grow on trees
Old 20 November 2012, 01:49 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by douglasb
A friend works in a Jobcentre. One of his colleagues is currently subject to disciplinary proceedings following an altercation with a claimant who was not pleased to be told that his benefits were to be capped at £500 per week.

Mr Claimant was getting loud and obnoxious while my friend's colleague tried to remain calm and explained that he personally couldn't do anything to alter the position: Parliament had made a law, it stated that benefits would be capped at £500, he had to abide by this.

Mr Claimant - "But what do I do if I want to have more kids? I can't afford that."
Friend's Colleague - "Well I suggest you keep your **** in your pants then".

He could lose his job for that.
How we wish we could all say this, but people dealing with the public know that whilst many would back you up in saying it as it is, we're too politically correct to be allowed to do so. I would probably point out that contraception is free on the NHS and there are effective choices available.

Sometimes we get a medical form for benefits that obviously should just have RIDICULOUS written all over it as it is someone chancing the system, but we cannot and have to tactfully point out that their invented diagnoses are just that, "no evidence of impairment" etc. Even that attracts endless further work asking us to support appeals and we try to say as best we can "get a job".
Old 20 November 2012, 02:02 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I'd have just twatted him I'm afriad
Old 20 November 2012, 02:06 PM
Shaid
Scooby Regular

GRRRRRR!!!!
Old 20 November 2012, 02:54 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I would say that probably the vast majority of claimants are on far less than £500 per week, but that won't stop their feeling of entitlement to it. How can that hamster-faced politician say that a £500 cap on benefits is immoral when the hard working low paid get by on half that. So she got the sack, talk about a woman scorned! The benefit system needs a radical reform to stop rewarding bone idleness.
Old 20 November 2012, 02:58 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Yep I could not believe this. My wife took voluntary redundancy about 2.5 months ago. Never claimed benefits in her life and was almost to proud to this time but wanted to cover her NI contributions whilst out of work. She gets a measly £74 a week jobseekers allowance because a) I can support her and b) she was wise enough to also have savings to fall back on. You play by the rules you get screwed. You lie you get everything.

People also moan about johnny foreigner coming in and taking our jobs. Fact of the matter is that most of them don't mind knuckling down and doing anything to pay the bills. Yes there are some on the take but many of our own people are just plain lazy and had it too good and too easy for too long.

First party that comes up with a legitimate fix to this gets my vote.
Old 20 November 2012, 03:31 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by P1Fanatic
Yep I could not believe this. My wife took voluntary redundancy about 2.5 months ago. Never claimed benefits in her life and was almost to proud to this time but wanted to cover her NI contributions whilst out of work. She gets a measly £74 a week jobseekers allowance because a) I can support her and b) she was wise enough to also have savings to fall back on. You play by the rules you get screwed. You lie you get everything.

People also moan about johnny foreigner coming in and taking our jobs. Fact of the matter is that most of them don't mind knuckling down and doing anything to pay the bills. Yes there are some on the take but many of our own people are just plain lazy and had it too good and too easy for too long.

First party that comes up with a legitimate fix to this gets my vote.
My wife ended up in a similar boat just after we got married - she was considered ineligible to claim dole, despite having worked for 10-years, when she gave up a job to move to where I was based at the time. She had a similar battle every time I got posted and we moved house - in the first 10-years of our marriage we lived in 10 different homes and only once did we move somewhere close enough that she could keep her job

As for johnny foreigner, as long they pay tax and NI and contribute to the economy then crack-on, if the local are 'too proud to do menial jobs' then they should get nothing. Since I left school the only times I have been out of work is when I chose to take a short holiday between jobs and I didn't claim a penny. I can't imagine not working for a living - if I won the lottery and didn't have to it would be different but to become a leach on society would turn my stomach.
Old 20 November 2012, 03:44 PM
4u2nv2
Scooby Regular

our fore fathers would turn in there graves.. its a scammers world im affaid, self minded people with no goal or aims, except to rob jon to pay paul. my answer would be. no benifits till the age of 21,no job after leaving school for one year then aramed forces they should go till there 21, buy this age most people have set there path in life and will also mean they are mum and dads responabilaty till this age.
sould be capped at rent and tokens for food only.
POWER TO THE FREE WORLD

Quick Reply: £500/week benefit cap immoral!