Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Murdered WPC's - why was Cregan on Bail after 2 previous murders????

Search this Thread

Old 19 September 2012, 10:15 AM
Dr Hu
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
Question Murdered WPC's - why was Cregan on Bail after 2 previous murders????

WTF???? Explain why this scumbag was on *Bail* when he had already killed 2 people with a gun & grenade....

Forget the argument brewing saying the police should be armed, wouldn't need to be if suspected murderers (i.e they know he did it!) was released on bail.....

Madness
Old 19 September 2012, 10:23 AM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bail Act has the presumption of granting bail unless there is risk of reoffending/flight. Magistrates obviously "decided" neither applied...

Last edited by warrenm2; 19 September 2012 at 12:22 PM. Reason: typo!
Old 19 September 2012, 10:25 AM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

It has emerged that Dale Cregan, suspect in the murder of two female police officers in Manchester, was on bail at the time for another gun murder.

The British justice system will really throw the book at him now. His new bail conditions will include a 7pm to 7am curfew, and a strong recommendation that he doesn't shoot anybody else.
Old 19 September 2012, 10:25 AM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

If ever capital punishment was justified....
Old 19 September 2012, 10:28 AM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

It's the very same question my Wife asked me this morning and the only conclusion there can be is that the English justice system is overseen by lunatics. How else do you explain why a suspected double murderer was free to commit another double murder?!
Old 19 September 2012, 10:29 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by warrenm2
Bail Act has the presumption of granting bail unless their is risk of reoffending/flight. Magistrates obviously "decided" neither applied...

True. It is innocent until proven guilty afterall.

So unless there was substantial evidence to give a likely guilty verdict or guilty plea. Bail could be down to the judge's mood and whether it was close to lunch time or not.

IMO I can't see how anyone on a validated murder charge should have the right to bail.

Last edited by ALi-B; 19 September 2012 at 10:31 AM.
Old 19 September 2012, 10:29 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Bail Act has the presumption of granting bail unless their is risk of reoffending/flight. Magistrates obviously "decided" neither applied...
In this instance, there was insufficient evidence to charge Cregan. The police cannot hold people without charge over a certain period of time. It had nothing to do with a magistrate or a Judge.

They had to bail him whilst they built a case against him.
Old 19 September 2012, 10:31 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Why did he turn himslf in for a life behind bars?

dl

Very sad for WPC families btw
Old 19 September 2012, 10:33 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by David Lock
Why did he turn himslf in for a life behind bars?

dl

Very sad for WPC families btw

There was a suggestion in the press he was being hid in the area by friends/relatives.

I have a feeling that after this event, whoever was hiding him kicked him out with a threat to turn him in themselves.
Old 19 September 2012, 10:39 AM
Carlh
Scooby Regular

the whole justice system needs an overhaul.

Was only watching some crime programme on TV the night before, where this kid who was swearing at the police, got locked up for a few hours, the tv crew asked him was it a detterant at all, no he said, locking me up for a few hours isnt going to do nothing. And thats from the kid. You keep hearing about the criminal even saying the punishment does nothing. way to soft.

One of two things is going on in this country:
(1) we really do have nutters running the country
or (2) - the law has been purposely pi55ed on, so that eventually the people of the country (all of us) have had enough, change the laws for really bad punishments to fit the crimes and at the same time, make us even more of a nanny state with more controls over our lives. We're not free now, so god knows what the next 20 years in Britain will reveal.
Old 19 September 2012, 10:40 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Well if sending in two unarmed women to pick him up is building a case then there's clearly something wrong with the system.
Old 19 September 2012, 10:50 AM
g7prs
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dpb
Well if sending in two unarmed women to pick him up is building a case then there's clearly something wrong with the system.
They were responding to report of a break in, not to pick him up.
Old 19 September 2012, 10:51 AM
Bonehead
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
There was a suggestion in the press he was being hid in the area by friends/relatives.

I have a feeling that after this event, whoever was hiding him kicked him out with a threat to turn him in themselves.
I would say he knew the net was tightening or his list of friends who'd hide him was running out and thought by offing a coupl of cops it'd increase his standing in prison
Old 19 September 2012, 11:03 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Bonehead
I would say he knew the net was tightening or his list of friends who'd hide him was running out and thought by offing a coupl of cops it'd increase his standing in prison
Not with the prison guards it won't. And I would hazzard a guess that even many hardened insiders won't think much of him for killing two woman.

dl
Old 19 September 2012, 11:05 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by g7prs
They were responding to report of a break in, not to pick him up.

I'll attest to that; After accidentally tripping the redcare at work and ADT f**king up the contact telephone numbers (reverting to some ancient phone number from the early 1990's ), plod were called to our premises as we were just locking up. The first thing I knew about it (silent alarm) was a police wagon screaching (no siren) in and two women WPCS barging in the office ready to grab the first person they see (me ).

I could have been anyone, I could have had a knife, I could have had a shotgun, I could have had a handgun. They had no idea of the situation they were entering into and despite this they still ran in essentially unarmed.

I think its quite easy to forget that this is the case with almost every police call of this nature. With me it was just a false alarm, but to those WPCs who were shot, it was a trap.
Old 19 September 2012, 11:14 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

i bet he turned himself in because police would have no hesitation to shoot him if they found him, it would have been a shoot first ask questions later. AKA hes afraid to die.
Old 19 September 2012, 11:18 AM
g7prs
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ALi-B
I'll attest to that; After accidentally tripping the redcare at work and ADT f**king up the contact telephone numbers (reverting to some ancient phone number from the early 1990's ), plod were called to our premises as we were just locking up. The first thing I knew about it (silent alarm) was a police wagon screaching (no siren) in and two women WPCS barging in the office ready to grab the first person they see (me ).

I could have been anyone, I could have had a knife, I could have had a shotgun, I could have had a handgun. They had no idea of the situation they were entering into and despite this they still ran in essentially unarmed.

I think its quite easy to forget that this is the case with almost every police call of this nature. With me it was just a false alarm, but to those WPCs who were shot, it was a trap.
They police themself decide what requires an armed response and unfortunately break ins dont. I wish for there sake it had been but they still wouldnt have been expecting what was waiting on them.

My brother in law and sister in law are both serving officers up here but i dont think they face the same dangers up here as you have in the large cities down south but they still never know how any call will end.
Old 19 September 2012, 11:30 AM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

I saw a programme "Lock Up" i think it was called last night. Jesus it just makes you realise that there's a whole strata of underclass out there who are the human garbage that nobody would miss. It truly depresses me to see how primitive some "humans" are, both men and women. Nothing to add to society, just a drain in every single respect. Scum.
Old 19 September 2012, 11:36 AM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TelBoy
I saw a programme "Lock Up" i think it was called last night. Jesus it just makes you realise that there's a whole strata of underclass out there who are the human garbage that nobody would miss. It truly depresses me to see how primitive some "humans" are, both men and women. Nothing to add to society, just a drain in every single respect. Scum.
Someone bred this creature. Worse it seems to have people looking out for him over the last few days (bit like the lovely Raul Moat).

They should be done as accessories to murder as well. Sweep this sort of rubbish away.

5t.
Old 19 September 2012, 11:43 AM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Indeed, parents are just as bad, if not worse. On this programme two sisters who were thugs by any other name had their father arrive at the police station, utterly reprehensible piece of crap. Once we'd heard about his life of crime it came as no surprise to see his two fine upstanding daughters being locked up for behaving like wild dogs. They just cause everybody else misery and suffering. I'm embarrassed to see beings (just can't call them people) like this who are supposedly the same species as me.
Old 19 September 2012, 12:03 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Still a good deal more honest than your average 'anker mind
Old 19 September 2012, 12:29 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PeteBrant
In this instance, there was insufficient evidence to charge Cregan. The police cannot hold people without charge over a certain period of time. It had nothing to do with a magistrate or a Judge.

They had to bail him whilst they built a case against him.
If there is insufficient evidence, then he should have been released without charge surely? To be bailed surely there must have been some charge? What am I missing? Is it that he was still "under arrest"? But hit the 48 hour limit? Thought the arrest expired then as well?
Old 19 September 2012, 12:30 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

You do not have to be charged to be bailed.
Old 19 September 2012, 12:33 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Is there any countries that aren't armed now?
Old 19 September 2012, 12:34 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Worryingly, he will become a hero to some.
Old 19 September 2012, 12:37 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

If there is insufficient evidence, then he should have been released without charge surely? To be bailed surely there must have been some charge? What am I missing? Is it that he was still "under arrest"? But hit the 48 hour limit? Thought the arrest expired then as well?
Bailed pending further investigation. They didnt have enough to charge him, but they do want to keep tabs on him.

The media scream "HE WAS ON BAIL OMG!!!" and it gives the legal system a bad name. When it should cater for the majority (i.e. you have to limit the time the police can hold you without charge) not the minority (lets lock people up for as long as we like in case some lunatic decides to blow people up).

The police and legal system did all it could in this cae, and I don't think it shoudl be changed.
Old 19 September 2012, 01:35 PM
Bonehead
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ant
Is there any countries that aren't armed now?
Probably just us
Old 19 September 2012, 01:39 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Here's one reason that arming the police will not be the answer to all our troubles:

New York shootings

A fired women's clothes designer shot dead a former colleague outside the Empire State Building in New York City before he was killed by police.

Nine others were hit by bullets, some possibly fired by police, New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg said.
Old 19 September 2012, 01:40 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davyboy
Worryingly, he will become a hero to some.
That is the truely disgusting fact about this country.
Old 19 September 2012, 01:44 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Maybe I watch too many episodes of Taggart etc. but are you sure it was Dale Cregan?

If you were another criminal wanting to set him up, what better way than to lure police to an address then shoot them and detonate a grenade.

Not necessarily an open and shut case.

Quick Reply: Murdered WPC's - why was Cregan on Bail after 2 previous murders????