Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Arrgghh Flooded PHONE!!

Search this Thread

Old 06 May 2002, 09:33 PM
andrewjlane
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dropped mine in a puddle the other day - not quite as severe as sticking it in the washing machine. Played up a bit for the next 24 hours but now seems OK.
Old 06 May 2002, 09:35 PM
msp1
Scooby Regular

Same thing happened to my mates 8210, his wife put it in the wash. Sim card is fine and is now in his 3310 with no probs. I took his phone to local Nokia repair centre to try and get it repaired under warranty. When they disected it they told me it it had water damage. They could fit a new screen/buttons but said it was likely to last only a few weeks.

Mike
Old 06 May 2002, 09:44 PM
Doc
Scooby Regular

Cool

Managed to drop my 7110 down the toilet twice! Before you ask it was before I had started anything! I blame the wife for putting the toilet seat down, as I bent down to put it up my phone fell into the water. First time it was off, dried it out for a few days and it worked fine. Second time it was on, the screen slowly faded at the bottom of the bowl. Took the battery and sim card out and the sliding cover off. After 3 days it wasn't working, so as I was out of contract I got myself a nice new 8110, which hasn't visited the toilet yet! After about 3 weeks I tried the 7110 again and it works perfectly, well maybe the keys are a bit sticky!!
Old 06 May 2002, 09:48 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Smile

Ali,

Sim card should be OK but you will be very lucky if the phone survives.

Water causes all sorts of nasty short circuits and the delicate electronics fry very easily. Have lost three Nokia's this way.

420 - Milk leaked in work bag and submerged it.
3210- Dropped in garden pond
8210- I fell in river and it was in my pocket. Dont Ask.

Sometimes you may get some functions back, take of the battery and take out the sim card, wipe it down as much as possible and let it dry out over a couple of days. To clean it properly internaly you will need some delicate electronic cleaning spray.
Saying all that we repair electronics at work but I was unable to save any of the above phones.

Workmate managed to get his 3210 working after a fishing accident left it submerged, it's left his display hard to read though.

If all else fails what about a claim on the house insurance?

Lee
Old 06 May 2002, 09:48 PM
babber
Scooby Regular

Wink

Sims are waterproof!!! It's a chip embedded into a plastic card, clean the gold contact though

My misses washed a Nokia 6110 a while ago for an hour and a half on 60 deg C, Lol dried it on top a radiator (for a few days) and replaced the battery and the phone still works now Sim and phone will probably be fine, expect the battery to be fcuked!!

It's not the washing machine that will kill the phone, it's the power being applied to the phone that will **** it Was it switched on ?

Cheers Phill C
Old 07 May 2002, 10:18 AM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Unhappy

I have lost a 6210 to this on the log flume at thorpe park it slipped out of my pocket on the slope and slid to the back of the boat and drowned it was only 2 weeks old but was covered on insurance and my sister dropped her 3310 in the bath it worked after but the lights stay on permanently I just got a phone from a friend that had a smashed screen and made 1 good phone from 2 Sims always work fine I think
Old 07 May 2002, 10:40 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts
Phone is dead!

Took it apart...Found a bit-driver that fitted the "tamper-proof screws)dried it, left it overnight on the radiator, put it together, checked battery (3.6v). Dont work!

Might be something to do with it being switched on while it was in the wash....it was off by the time I got it out! probably blown the voltage regulator...SMT PCB...I aint repairing that!

Ahh well, good excuse for a new phone

Got my eyes on one of those Ericsson T68's or a 8310

Trending Topics

Old 07 May 2002, 11:00 AM
sillysi
Scooby Regular

You could try it in a sonic tank such as jewellers use to clean watches. This helps to remove the residue left by the water and does work in many cases. It won't help if the chips have been damaged.
Old 07 May 2002, 11:22 AM
Reffro
Scooby Regular

I had my Ericsson T28 washed 5 days after I got it. Once it dried out, it worked perfectly. Beware though, I tried to claim straight after the incident on my insurance before it had dried out, and they told me they didn't cover water damage even though it was accidental. Fortunately as I had just bought the phone, I still had time to cancel any payments to the theives before they had been collected.
Old 05 June 2002, 08:22 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts
Thumbs down

Bit of a shot in the dark this, but...

MY missus decided to wash my MOBILE PHONE!!

Yep, in the washing machine! Along with the wallet, credit cards a few £20 notes, and £3 in loose change

Just wondering does anyone know how to disect a Nokia 3310 to dry it out, or does anyone have any previous experiences

Are SIM cards waterproof?

which works better.....Aerial or Bold

I thought Cellnet changed to O-2....not H20

[Edited by ALi-B - 5/6/2002 8:25:38 PM]