House Insurance Policies are a joke.

Search this Thread

Old 01 May 2002, 11:12 AM
Seamus300
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

<rant on>
Yesterday my roof leaked, causing water to run through and trash the ceiling in one of my spare rooms. I phoned up my insurance company (with them for 6 years, never claimed before, paying £70pm)only to be told that my roof wasn't covered as the windspeed that day hadn't exceeded 55mph. What a load of complete bo11ocks. They asked me when the roof started leaking - how would I know that, I only noticed it yesterday, so they based the "windspeed test" on that day. Apparently the ceiling inside is covered(?), but all roof repairs/loft damage had to be met by me. No doubt my policy will go up in July when renewed as well.
Seems to me there is any excuse not to pay out, happy to take your money off you though.
<rant off>
Old 01 May 2002, 12:32 PM
BarryK
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Windspeed test?

Wtf is that?

That's why underwriting insurance is called "risk". Check your policy, contact the Insurance Ombudsman.
Old 01 May 2002, 12:39 PM
Alpine
Scooby Regular

Ring a local roofer and ask him for the date of a windy day.. Trade winds as my mate calls them... Give this date to your insurance company.. storm damage...

I'm insured with commercial union.. they were awesome when my sewers collapsed... cost £6500 to put right.. no quibbles or fuss.. just like the adds say... I could save a couple of quid a month going elsewhere but wouldn't dream of it..
Old 01 May 2002, 01:13 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation

What actual damage was caused to the roof itself by the wind?
Old 01 May 2002, 01:27 PM
Seamus300
Scooby Regular

Hello Dave, alright? Can't tell from the inside, and I wasn't going up a ladder in last nights wind. I am assuming some of the tiles are broken or something like.
My rant really was that there is nothing in my policy that specifies a storm windspeed at 55mph. Had it been gusting 55mph yesterday then it wouldn't be a problem.
Just needed to get it off my chest!
Old 01 May 2002, 01:41 PM
ChrisS/P1
Scooby Regular

I've just had the same problem. I've got a 3 storey town house with a flat felted roof. The roof was replaced only 2 weeks ago, and at 3am Sunday morning, all hell broke loose. After 2 days of heavy rain it had managed to damage cieling pannels, walls on all 3 floors and leaked into to the light fittings / switches (which is a bit on the risky side).
Anyway, turns out that it was a blocked outflow pipe on the roof, and is now fixed. Insurance company, state that it would only be covered by their accidental damage cover (extra premium). I would have thought that it should be covered by a standard buidings insurance, but apparently not.
Right then I'm off to the nearest DIY store, and going to spend the next week getting the place back to a resonable state, joy of joys.