Using bio-diesel

Search this Thread

Old 12 January 2012, 09:36 AM
trio
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Using bio-diesel

Hi
I have a friend who uses bio diesel, and he can supply me with as much as I need, with the prices of fuel these days I'm considering trying it for a while in my work van, which i do over 30k miles a year in, he says it's good quality and he's had no problems and been using it for a while now, I'm thinking of using 25ltrs of bio diesel and 25ltr of pump diesel, and see how it goes.

Is there any do's or dont's with using bio diesel, as I don't want to **** up my van, I've heard of people changing pumps and filters, my friend also said he puts a drop of 2 stroke oil in the tank aswell, just to keep to bores lubed, is this a good idea?

Thanks tristan
Old 12 January 2012, 10:10 AM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

A lot of high pressure diesel fuel systems have problems with bio diesel (I am assuming you mean a cooking oil based fuel) as especially on LGV and PSV engines they were not designed to run on bio fuel.

We have had instances where I work where the complete fuel system has had to be renewed due to bio fuel being used; the best explanation I can give is that the fuel pumps are lubricated by the fuel and not fed by engine oil as was the practice until quite recently. As bio fuel would seem to have less lubricating properties that has led to low and high pressure fuel pumps failing, consequential damage to fuel lines, injectors and sensors.

We had one LGV vehicle at work which cost the customer over £5K as the whole fuel system had to be changed (excluding the fuel tank) due to the failures caused by the fuel injection pumps breaking up.

I would confirm it with the manufacturer or your local main dealer to check the suitability of bio fuel for your vehicle.

Last edited by Cannon Fodder; 12 January 2012 at 10:11 AM.
Old 12 January 2012, 11:01 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Yeah fuel pumps are the headache - and they are expensive to replace. There may also be an issue with viscosity but your friend may advise on this. dl
Old 12 January 2012, 11:19 AM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Someone said to me last week that VW will invalidate your warranty if you use it - not sure how accurate this is though?
Old 12 January 2012, 11:39 AM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My old pug 306 runs fine on bio diesel, hell it even runs on svo at a £1 a litre
Old 12 January 2012, 11:44 AM
Scooby Senior

It depends on what van you have, if it's somthing new then forget it!
Old 12 January 2012, 12:00 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Don't do it. Unless you don't care if the pump/intectors/filters clog up/seals fail and can afford the rebuild/replacement costs. Otherwise in teh long run,you'll be sorry.

If you have an really reall old van....i.e something from the 1980s or early 90's, you may have a chance.

Same with vans that use antique running gear Like the LDV pilot with the non-turbo peugeot XUD engine. Do NOT do it on one with a transit DI engine, unless the pump has been converted.

Last edited by ALi-B; 12 January 2012 at 12:06 PM.
Old 12 January 2012, 12:00 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by kingofturds
My old pug 306 runs fine on bio diesel, hell it even runs on svo at a £1 a litre

XUD engine I guess
Old 12 January 2012, 12:06 PM
SHUGSTERC
Scooby Regular

had a pajero 2.5 and used to get cooking oil from work..would let it sit so all the crap sinks to bottom then syve the oil twice then mix it 50,,50 with diesel..worked fine no fuel pump problems and it didnt smell like the local chippy..only done it for about 8 months so not sure about long term use..
Old 12 January 2012, 12:43 PM
trio
Scooby Regular

My van is a Renault kangoo with the 1.5 td engine, on a 53 plate, I'm not really sure where the crude bio diesel comes from, I'm presuming it's old cooking oil that is then made into the bio diesel using whatever method is required, my friend uses it in a new ish focus, and has done for quite a while with no Ill effects, he told me he recently sourced bio diesel elsewhere for a little less money and had problems, so he went back to his normal supplier and everything is fine again, so would everyone agree it's a no no unless I want problems? I don't really want problems with my daily runner, that runs sweet as it is
Old 12 January 2012, 12:43 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I think you would be well advised to give it a miss.

Just not worth it to risk screwing up your fuel injection system with the very expensive repair cost and risking any guarantee that you might have.

Les
Old 12 January 2012, 01:01 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ALi-B
XUD engine I guess
It does have the bosch pump as well. I hear you can have problems with the lucas pump.

I only bought the car as a stop gap but after all the trouble I had with common rail diesels I'll stick to running diesels like old rudoplh intended
Old 12 January 2012, 06:04 PM
Felix.
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Are you looking to make your own bio fuel...?

I've had no trouble running a Pug 307 1.4 (51 plate). I tend to pop £15 of ordinary diesel every month or so to keep things lubricated - it also stops the bio fuel gelling (solidifying) in the winter
Old 12 January 2012, 08:21 PM
trio
Scooby Regular

No mate, I'm not looking to produce my own fuel, im only buying it from someone I know who uses it in his own vehicle, he seems to think its good quality, and he's never had a problem, he puts a small amount of 2 stroke oil in the tank aswell to help replace to lube that is lost with using bio diesel, I wouldn't use the bio diesel neat, more like a 50/50 mix, it's difficult to know how to go about this as some say it's just not worth the potential hassle, but it's difficult to ignore the savings that can be had if you never experience any problems.

Thanks tristan
Old 12 January 2012, 08:34 PM
donny andi
Scooby Regular

Man up and cherry it
Old 12 January 2012, 09:21 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

I used to run my old pajero on 95% clean cooking oil and 5% RUL adjusting the mixture to the weather so sometimes it was 10%RUL

If you are going to do the 50/50 mix with bio mix it outside the tank to be sure of a good mixing.

I would also do a bit of research online as it can cause problems as others have said.
Old 12 January 2012, 09:36 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by donny andi
Man up and cherry it
I agree, until you get caught that is...

Then you will be more fooked than a $5 Bangkok ladyboy, once HMRC get their claws into you it would have been cheaper to have run your van on liquid gold.
Old 13 January 2012, 02:47 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Can't deny that is a very good point!

Les
Old 13 January 2012, 09:50 PM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

I ran my car on biodiesel manufactured from recovered vegetable oil. My car was (is) a 2001 seat leon 1.9S tdi (ALH engine). I covered just over 60,000 miles on biodiesel, until production was ceased due to being unable to attract investment to grow the business.

To be clear, biodiesel is not vegetable oil from your local supermarket either neat or mixed with derv. The veggie oil needs to be washed, boiled, reacted with methanol, then tested for traces of impurities before using it either neat or blended with derv. I used to run on 100% biodiesel reducing this to 80% in winter.

Good biodiesel will clog your fuel filter as it cleans out the fuel system, by the way, my car now has 168,000 miles on the clock and will be my daily driver for a few years yet.