Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Rega RP1 turntable set up and Vinyl blasting away

Love It
Old 30 December 2011, 06:02 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

BBC Radio 6 Music dedicating a whole day to vinyl only, on New Years Day. Heads up! I will mostly be listening to the new Amy W LP with a glass of vino tonight.

Last edited by Myles; 30 December 2011 at 06:02 PM. Reason: Didnt say when!
Old 30 December 2011, 06:03 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

What are you listening to, anyway?
Old 30 December 2011, 06:16 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Why bother? Why not just play through you iPod using iTunes match far better quality ......

Old 30 December 2011, 06:19 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ant
Why bother? Why not just play through you iPod using iTunes match far better quality ......

Why close the DC block when the digital horse has bolted? He has already bought the deck!
Old 30 December 2011, 06:32 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Could have had my Linn plus arm plus K18 for a few £££.
Old 30 December 2011, 07:40 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ant

Trouble is there are many out there who actually believe that
Old 30 December 2011, 07:42 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
Trouble is there are many out there who actually believe that
you mean it's not true?

Old 30 December 2011, 07:43 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ant
you mean it's not true?

Only in JackClarkWorld
Old 30 December 2011, 08:03 PM
daviee
Scooby Regular

I so miss my Rega planner 2 turntable is all boxed along with my Aura VA100 amp, Still have my B&W P4s being driven with a Yamaha CDX 170 all in one tosh shoe box. The difference is night and day. The best way to compare is when I listen to music now i find my self reading or sitting on the puter, as where with vinyl it got my full attention only distaction was a glass in my hand.

If i could sort some ergonomic decor pleasing storage for all my vinyl, I would set it back up in a flash. As it stands i have a Netgear Stora sever about seven inch cube with circa 4000 albums and its only a third full !!, would need a lock up to store that much vinyl.
Old 30 December 2011, 08:21 PM
The Pink Ninja
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A 10ft x 10ft room will fit 5000 LP`s & 45`s in, Granted its not quite a 7 inch cube

I dont care what the digital fans think you can`t beat a bit of proper vinyl and by that i mean, 1st pressing Mono`s and stereo`s, The sound quality is 2nd to none, It just doesn`t sound rright listening to a remasterd stereo version of an original mono recording
Old 30 December 2011, 08:22 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Sorry, but anyone who thinks vinyl is in any way better than CD needs to listen to CDs through a decent player/amp combination.

That is, unless you PREFER less resolution, less separation, less dynamic range, added rumble, wow and flutter, and hisses, pops and crackles? LOL

Cyrus CD8SE/PreVS2/2x Smart power, all with PSX-R.
Old 30 December 2011, 10:08 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by alcazar
Sorry, but anyone who thinks vinyl is in any way better than CD needs to listen to CDs through a decent player/amp combination.

That is, unless you PREFER less resolution, less separation, less dynamic range, added rumble, wow and flutter, and hisses, pops and crackles? LOL

And what are you talking about then?

Cyrus is middle of the road cr8p
Old 30 December 2011, 10:48 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Believe you me alcazar I have a decentish system and everyone who I do a comparison with says the same thing... vinyl is better. It's not about dynamic range, separation and all that stuff, it's about how it sounds... musicality if you like and vinyl to me and many others still sounds better.

Don't even talk to me about iPods and the likes.... noise makers and nothing more!
Old 30 December 2011, 11:01 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Musicality? A word INVENTED by the HiFi mags and which REALLY shouldn't be used in a sensible argument.
Old 30 December 2011, 11:02 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dingdongler
And what are you talking about then?

Cyrus is middle of the road cr8p
Middle of the road? When it wins the awards year on year? Ok, whatever.

Crap? Never.

But WAY better than ANY vinyl.
Old 30 December 2011, 11:10 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Musicality? A word INVENTED by the HiFi mags and which REALLY shouldn't be used in a sensible argument.
OK fair enough, but if you are ever over Manchester way let me know and come and have a listen. If you still don't agree then fair enough
Old 30 December 2011, 11:16 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Crap? Never.

It's mainly bought by idiots who think the way to choose hifi components is to buy ones that win so called awards. I think you have proven that point very well indeed.

Cyrus is very very mediocre, nothing special by any stretch of the imagination.
It's a Sevenoaks Hifi spastic special ie Sevenoaks HiFi and What HiFi get together and convince the average mug that it is something esoteric when it is not.
Speakers (and their interaction with the acoustic properties of your room) are probably the most important component of any system anyway, I presume you bought a What HiFi winner speaker as well?

Now tell me which turntable, arm, cartridge, phono stage and speakers combo you have heard and we'll see whether you've heard the best that vinyl has to offer
Old 31 December 2011, 12:03 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Ooooh - such a rich seam of debate here!!!!

Cyrus - average system - good sonically, average musically.

Speakers the most important component - sonically perhaps - again musically, not at all. A cheap set of speakers on the end of a good system will always be more musical than a fabulous pair of speakers with a poor source and poor amplification.

I would agree that speakers SHOULD be tailored to your room - but they don't make the musical experience on their own.

Personally I have had to spend a awful lot of money to get to enjoy a CD as much as vinyl - and even then annoyingly a much lower cost vinyl source still gets me - even with my old vinyl collection complete with scratches, pops and crackles.
Old 31 December 2011, 12:14 AM
Bikerboygreen
Scooby Regular

Vinyl any day for me. I got the new offerings from Ryan Adams, Tom Waits and Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds for Christmas. All excellent recordings on lovely heavy vinyl.
Old 31 December 2011, 12:14 AM
The Pink Ninja
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Something i said

Seriously though you either get the vinyl sound or you dont, If you really listen to music rather than just listen to it(If you know what i mean) the sound is so much richer from an original pressing LP or an Audiophile pressing depending on what sort of era your into than the sound you get from a CD regardless of what equipment you use, Granted some sound better than others but none sound better than the real thing,

The equipment they used to play/record/produce most of the music that was released on vinyl was never intended to be re-processed into digital format at the time they were recording it, Not like it is now and to me loses something from the way the original recording sounds in some way, IMO

Gaz.
Old 31 December 2011, 01:01 AM
daviee
Scooby Regular

The only down side of vinyl is the media length 22 minutes a side most modern albums are catered to 80 minutes 18 tracks of drivel to suit CD media length and sound. The new Amy Winhouse album is one fitting to be on vinyl.
Old 31 December 2011, 09:21 AM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

well you all know my opinion so i am not even going to comment
Old 31 December 2011, 11:01 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bigsinky
well you all know my opinion so i am not even going to comment
I don't
Old 31 December 2011, 11:07 AM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Crap? Never.

I have to agree my RP1 is running along side my Cyrus CD6 system and it sounds wonderful, I cannot beleive in fact how good it does sound, I am very very happy with the set up, also running Mission speakers too
Cheers
Colin
Old 31 December 2011, 12:25 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
I don't
guess like **** actress ****. round and plastic
Old 31 December 2011, 02:54 PM
mike1210
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by daviee
The only down side of vinyl is the media length 22 minutes a side most modern albums are catered to 80 minutes 18 tracks of drivel to suit CD media length and sound. The new Amy Winhouse album is one fitting to be on vinyl.
You can fit 30ish but yeah it gets quiet after 20 ish minutes a side. I'm guessing if it's 80 mins long they would/should put it over 2 (or even better) 3 records.

Some electronic albums on vinyl bundle the CD for free as of late (Gus Gus, Calibre, Surkin, Break off the top of my head)

Main issue for me with CD recently is they are recorded far too loud, electronic stuff especially.
Old 31 December 2011, 03:15 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Trout
Ooooh - such a rich seam of debate here!!!!

Cyrus - average system - good sonically, average musically.

Speakers the most important component - sonically perhaps - again musically, not at all. A cheap set of speakers on the end of a good system will always be more musical than a fabulous pair of speakers with a poor source and poor amplification.

I would agree that speakers SHOULD be tailored to your room - but they don't make the musical experience on their own.

Personally I have had to spend a awful lot of money to get to enjoy a CD as much as vinyl - and even then annoyingly a much lower cost vinyl source still gets me - even with my old vinyl collection complete with scratches, pops and

crackles.

We'll have to agree to disagree then. All parts in the chain are important but if I were going to advice somebody who wanted to put together a new hifi now I'd say buy the very best speakers you can afford and then go from there.

That's been the lesson I've learnt the expensive way after years of messing around with hifi.

I'm not saying for a second that the other components aren't very important (especially when it comes to vinyl ie cartridges etc) but it just makes sense to me now not to have the speakers as the rate limiting step.

The biggest jump I heard in the quality of my system was when I took a leap and bought 'high end' speakers. The second biggest I heard prior to this was when I bought a decent preamp.

CD players and amps do of course vary in their sonic characteristics and qualities but after a certain level they seem to be quite subtle.

This is just my own experience of course, but I have been messing around with hifi for a number of years.

The plan this year is to buy a decent turntable and ancillaries. Just waiting for the right stuff to come up for sale ex dem or lightly used.

Happy New Year
Old 31 December 2011, 03:49 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

It really doesn't surprise me that lots of people are turning back to vinyl: they will be the ones who destroyed their higher frequency hearing in earlier life, listening to loads of stuff on earphones, earbuds, or just too loud.
As I said, if you LIKE less separation, lower dynamic range, more rumble and wow and flutter, plus ADDED hisses, pops and crackles, then by all means stick to your vinyl.

But PLEASE don't come on here trying to convince intelligent people that vinyl is somehow BETTER.
Old 31 December 2011, 04:00 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dingdongler
We'll have to agree to disagree then. All parts in the chain are important but if I were going to advice somebody who wanted to put together a new hifi now I'd say buy the very best speakers you can afford and then go from there.

That's been the lesson I've learnt the expensive way after years of messing around with hifi.

I'm not saying for a second that the other components aren't very important (especially when it comes to vinyl ie cartridges etc) but it just makes sense to me now not to have the speakers as the rate limiting step.

The biggest jump I heard in the quality of my system was when I took a leap and bought 'high end' speakers. The second biggest I heard prior to this was when I bought a decent preamp.

CD players and amps do of course vary in their sonic characteristics and qualities but after a certain level they seem to be quite subtle.

This is just my own experience of course, but I have been messing around with hifi for a number of years.

The plan this year is to buy a decent turntable and ancillaries. Just waiting for the right stuff to come up for sale ex dem or lightly used.

Happy New Year
Like any form of system, garbage in garbage out. With the speaker there are many opportunities to have garbage coming downstream, getting amplified on the way.

All elements are important and ideally you want to get all of them right - and speakers mismatched to a room can get messy!

I did once hear a system with a sub-1,000 all-in-one driving a pair of (very good) £8,000 speakers. I was surprised by how good it sounded - but I am equally sure I could have put together a much better, more balanced system for £9,000!

Quick Reply: Rega RP1 turntable set up and Vinyl blasting away